Looking for recommendation - Discrete Balanced Stereo Preamp

Studio19atx

I have owned, listened and used a lot of stereo and home theatre processors and preamps in the past. Some of the brands I have owned have been Mark Levinson, Jeff Rowland, Plinius, Krell, Audio Research, Lexicon, and Adcom.

I am looking to try something new. Any recommendation on a stereo preamp with XLR outputs with remote control?

Thanks in Advance.

WC

The Tortuga preamp would have all the features you are looking for. It is something different than what you used in the past.

jseymour

Schiit Freya

Studio19atx

The Tortuga preamp would have all the features you are looking for. It is something different than what you used in the past.

Thank you so much recommendation. I looked up their webpage and LDRxB looks really good.

Studio19atx

Schiit Freya

Thank you for the recommendation. Which tubes do you recommend? There are four options given.

JackD

PS Audio BHK Preamplifier is the best I have used in over 45 years. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Do you need buffering or gain?  How many inputs/outputs?

Freya runs passive, JFET buffer, or tube gain stages.  Tried one at home last year with stock tubes and nice set of NOS 6SN7's, sent it back under the trial period but not before one of the 6SN7s blew.  Made 10% of my ripped CD collection sound better but 30% sound worse.  Frankly I couldn't hear a difference between any of the stages or stock versus 6SN7 tubes, but I'm a speaker guy.  And I found zero tube magic (warmth - not needed/wanted, palpability - highly desired, image density - more = better) in Freya that I was seeking.  I really wanted to like it as it and the company hits many of my buttons.  Note that I've found gobs of (too much in some cases - like cakes with too much frosting) in some other tube gear.

nc42acc

For a passive preamp the Hattor is very good.
http://www.hattor.com/

For active balanced preamps I am partial to ARC. Maybe look for a used REF5SE. Also the BAT preamps are very nice with a different presentation. You can find these reasonable on the used market.

I have a Schiit Freya and it is a good preamp but it doesnt come close to the resolution of a very good passive or well designed active preamp. Just my two cents worth.

mav52

I own a AR LS 26 and a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE.   They STP-SE is dead neutral and in my system is awesome.  I run my Lumin network player and my CD player both balanced in the STP-Se and I even output balanced into my PASS xa30.5.   Love it.  MY AR feeds another system for that tubed sound.

Studio19atx

Do you need buffering or gain?  How many inputs/outputs?

Freya runs passive, JFET buffer, or tube gain stages.  Tried one at home last year with stock tubes and nice set of NOS 6SN7's, sent it back under the trial period but not before one of the 6SN7s blew.  Made 10% of my ripped CD collection sound better but 30% sound worse.  Frankly I couldn't hear a difference between any of the stages or stock versus 6SN7 tubes, but I'm a speaker guy.  And I found zero tube magic (warmth - not needed/wanted, palpability - highly desired, image density - more = better) in Freya that I was seeking.  I really wanted to like it as it and the company hits many of my buttons.  Note that I've found gobs of (too much in some cases - like cakes with too much frosting) in some other tube gear.

Thank you for a very detailed reply, really appreciate it.

I am looking to for buffering (unity gain), one Balanced input, more would be nice. I was looking at active but after having gone through many active preamps, now I am considering of trying a passive with remote control. With active depending upon the opamps (or discrete circuit), passive components and power supply, the signature can get altered a lot. I have mono blocks where I can change buffer stage also in the DAC.

What speakers did you use the Freya with? I have always had low efficiency speakers (big names), now I am going acquire either JBL/Altec horn based speakers.

What were the reasons you did not like the sound? Was it because of too much of roll-off on the highs?

If I would go down the route of active I would honestly prefer a JFET based.

Studio19atx

Re: Looking for recommendation - Discrete Balanced Stereo Preamp
« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2018, 04:21 pm »
For a passive preamp the Hattor is very good.
http://www.hattor.com/

For active balanced preamps I am partial to ARC. Maybe look for a used REF5SE. Also the BAT preamps are very nice with a different presentation. You can find these reasonable on the used market.

I have a Schiit Freya and it is a good preamp but it doesnt come close to the resolution of a very good passive or well designed active preamp. Just my two cents worth.

Hattor is one of the passive preamps I am considering. I have to get some clarification from Arek Kallas on if the remote adds any distortion. The AMRG Trans looks very compelling.

I have considered buying a BAT one, any particular model you recommend? There is a VK-3iX for for sale currently here in AC, I am thinking of buying it to hear the signature of BAT. I have heard that BAT sounds significantly different other tube based preamps.

Studio19atx

« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2018, 04:24 pm »
PS Audio BHK Preamplifier is the best I have used in over 45 years.

I read about it after you mentioned, I am wondering how it would sound compared to a passive one.

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2018, 10:17 pm »
The only passive I have ever owned is the W4S STP-SE (base version) and the sound of the BHK strangely enough is similar to the STP-SE only more refined.  Also with the ability to  slightly tune the sound with either 12AU7 tubes or ones from the 6DJ8/7DJ8 families.  I find that changing the tubes in the BHK is more subtle than in say a Cary or CJ preamp.  The Stage 2 upgraded version of the STP-SE would also be a great option.

mhconley

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2018, 10:26 pm »
nevermind...

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2018, 11:18 pm »
I have owned, listened and used a lot of stereo and home theatre processors and preamps in the past. Some of the brands I have owned have been Mark Levinson, Jeff Rowland, Plinius, Krell, Audio Research, Lexicon, and Adcom.

I am looking to try something new. Any recommendation on a stereo preamp with XLR outputs with remote control?

Thanks in Advance.

You did not say if you wanted tube or SS.  I own a BAT VK-51se.  Awesome preamp.  It is a tube preamp but sounds more like a hybrid.  I liked it way better than my Pass X1 and ended up selling the Pass. I would look at the VK-52se and 53se, 32se and 33se models. If you want a SS preamp look at the BAT VK42se.  BAT has their house sound.  They are very dynamic, richly textured and toned midrange, dead quiet, explosive dynamics with just a hint of darkness and warmth.  The midrange is what sold me on it compared to an ARC LS27.

https://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/1103bat/index.html

Other preamps to consider are the Pass XP-10 and higher models, Parasound JC2 which punches way above its price point if you don't want to spend $8-10K on a pre.

Another tube pre that I preferred over an ARC LS27 is the Atma-Sphere MP-3.  It had a deeper and more richly toned and musical midrange.

http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/#MP-3

Very musical,dynamic and smooth. Sounds more hybrid.  I almost bought one until I went with the BAT.

Austin08

« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2018, 02:56 am »
You did not say if you wanted tube or SS.  I own a BAT VK-51se.  Awesome preamp.  It is a tube preamp but sounds more like a hybrid.  I liked it way better than my Pass X1 and ended up selling the Pass. I would look at the VK-52se and 53se, 32se and 33se models. If you want a SS preamp look at the BAT VK42se.  BAT has their house sound.  They are very dynamic, richly textured and toned midrange, dead quiet, explosive dynamics with just a hint of darkness and warmth.  The midrange is what sold me on it compared to an ARC LS27.

Other preamps to consider are the Pass XP-10 and higher models, Parasound JC2 which punches way above its price point if you don't want to spend $8-10K on a pre.

Another tube pre that I preferred over an ARC LS27 is the Atma-Sphere MP-3.  It had a deeper and more richly toned and musical midrange.

Very musical,dynamic and smooth. Sounds more hybrid.  I almost bought one until I went with the BAT.

Agree, I used to own Bat VK31se, 32se, vk55 mono, Vk3200, VK P5. Now is ARC LS27 and DS450. I choose the ARC  because I feel ARC combo do sound more natural in my system. But I have to admit that I sometime missed the liquid and seductive midrange of the Bat, specially when listening to vocal.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 7 Apr 2018, 04:13 pm »
Agree, I used to own Bat VK31se, 32se, vk55 mono, Vk3200, VK P5. Now is ARC LS27 and DS450. I choose the ARC  because I feel ARC combo do sound more natural in my system. But I have to admit that I sometime missed the liquid and seductive midrange of the Bat, specially when listening to vocal.

I love the ARC LS27.  Fabulous preamp. When I auditioned it, I found it to have tremendous air and transparency with good depth and resolution. Sound stage was huge.  It had just a hint of darkness compared to other ARC pre's that I have heard.  I considered buying one until I heard the Atma-Sphere MP-3 in direct comparison and then read the reviews on the BAT VK-51se.  I figured I could always flip it and buy one of the other 2 preamps.  I fell in love with the mid range and it mates perfectly with my Pass X250 amp.

mhconley

« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2018, 06:02 pm »

I believe their posting in the All Solid State circle answers that question.  My recommendation, which I replaced with Emily Litella's famous, "nevermind," was for a tube preamplifier.    :duh:

Martin

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2018, 06:52 pm »
I believe their posting in the All Solid State circle answers that question.  My recommendation, which I replaced with Emily Litella's famous, "nevermind," was for a tube preamplifier.    :duh:

Martin

If wanting SS, I would recommend the BAT VK-42 and 43se models which still have the BAT sound as well as a Pass XP-10, 20 or their newer XP-12 and XP-22.  The Pass preamps tend to sound excellent at low volumes.  They keep their dynamics. The Parasound JC2 preamp is also awesome.  Black background, neutral, very transparent and detailed.  It needs to be paired with an amp that has a heavier mid range though.  It is still a stereophile Class A preamp.

RPM123

« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2018, 08:34 pm »
Merrill Audio "Cara", has received very favorable reviews.