Job Integrated?

OzarkTom

Re: Job Integrated?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2016, 10:24 pm »
I just don't know why anyone would invest in that tired old Goldmund amp circuit... it's been bested by pretty much everything that's out these days.

Too bad the chip amps don't sound as good as the Futteman  amps from the 50's.

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2016, 10:41 pm »
Really? So you think Rowland amps aren't very good? And you've never heard my baby yet!

OzarkTom

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2016, 10:49 pm »
Really? So you think Rowland amps aren't very good? And you've never heard my baby yet!

Rowlands are OK, I am sure your baby is great, but neither will beat the Futtermans.

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2016, 11:14 pm »
I'm sorry but you have no way to know that. I wouldn't be the least surprised if the Mod86 left it in the dust. Futtermans can barely not light themselves on fire... and burn out.

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2016, 11:58 pm »
I'm sorry but you have no way to know that. I wouldn't be the least surprised if the Mod86 left it in the dust. Futtermans can barely not light themselves on fire... and burn out.

I have no beef with you Folsom. I have been listening to chip amps the last five years. I know how good those amps can sound. How many Job amps or Futterman's have you owned? I have told others, the best C&C system is probably your amp with the Decware DNA horns that Rex built with $20 plans. I have no negatives on the amp you are building. If I did DIY, I would own one.

But talking about Futterman's is a waste of time, a person might as well look for a needle in a haystack. Even Ebay has none, and they have everything.

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2016, 12:39 am »
I know a guy with a set of Futterman based Atmospheres. It's hard for him to find tubes that won't turn into white dust before he gets more than 12hrs on them. They sound fine but... it's nearly pointless.

The only chipamp with any cred at all are Rowland, Mod86, and two of mine. The rest are nothing more than evaluation circuits that simply don't sound good at all. My amp might be commonly paired with C&C stereos but the ultimate version has no price limit, and the regular version is a better fit for things like Totem's flagships and beyond. The old lesser version was greatly liked with Vapor's Perfect Storm. That sentiment was repeated in person to me by both reviewers.

I would consider the average 3875/3886 amps you often see to be inferior to Job/Goldmund. I don't think they're even as good as the TPA3116.

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 19 Dec 2016, 02:18 am »
OK, Folsum I will bite. Send me one of your babies down and I will run it on my Zellatons. I will compare it to my Cherry monos with 30v power supply.

BTW, I am a former dealer for Rowland, Classe, Sumo, Berning, Bryston, B&K, Belles, NYAL Futtermans, Moscode, Hafler, Acoustat, Apt-Holman, Perreaux, Amber, Counterpoint, Bedini, PS Audio, and Quicksilver.

I never heard the Atmospheres, so I cannot comment.

Folsom

« Reply #27 on: 19 Dec 2016, 04:53 am »
I don't have a spare amp atm. Perhaps you live near someone that made one? Otherwise you just have to wait a bit.

Panelhead1

Job
« Reply #28 on: 20 Dec 2016, 06:01 pm »
  When the Crown XLS-1500 was hot several people sold their Job 225 and replaced with a XLS-1500. Maybe buying frenzy.
  My favorite chip amp is a Penasa My_Ref Evolution. But I never heard the Folsom amp.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2016, 09:35 pm by Panelhead1 »

Folsom

« Reply #29 on: 20 Dec 2016, 06:23 pm »
Ah, I was trying to think of one more chipamp, and I knew about that one but it escaped me!

happyrabbit

« Reply #30 on: 28 Dec 2016, 08:13 pm »
Folsom : The Teddy Pardo ST-60 is a worth contender  :thumb:

Anyways... Please see attached.  I stream everthing via Apple TV via the Samsung panel toslink.  DA JOB on the floor works for me  :green:  Tidal sounds lovely and not a bit fatiguing.  I havent owned a preamp with a remote for over 8 years..  A nice luxury to have again.

Dwight

youknowyou

« Reply #31 on: 1 Jun 2018, 06:12 pm »
I know a guy with a set of Futterman based Atmospheres. It's hard for him to find tubes that won't turn into white dust before he gets more than 12hrs on them. They sound fine but... it's nearly pointless.

The only chipamp with any cred at all are Rowland, Mod86, and two of mine. The rest are nothing more than evaluation circuits that simply don't sound good at all. My amp might be commonly paired with C&C stereos but the ultimate version has no price limit, and the regular version is a better fit for things like Totem's flagships and beyond. The old lesser version was greatly liked with Vapor's Perfect Storm. That sentiment was repeated in person to me by both reviewers.

I would consider the average 3875/3886 amps you often see to be inferior to Job/Goldmund. I don't think they're even as good as the TPA3116.
I have volt+ tpa3116, a basic gc lm3875 is just another league.

not sure what you mean by average 3875, I dont find the mod86 any betterthen a gaincard lm3875