BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1360 on: 20 Apr 2018, 07:05 pm »
You'll want to connect via SMB, have you tried connecting from your Mac or PC to the synology using file sharing?

GoGoDuck

« Reply #1361 on: 22 Apr 2018, 01:55 pm »
Sorry for I missed your message...
No problem on reading the files of Synology NAS connecting with PC as well as Mac...
And the Synology NAS appears on the network device column whenever it was “on”...
Moreover I’ve tried plenty of media apps/software, mostly easy connect with the Synology NAS.
Except BDP-II...

GoGoDuck

« Reply #1362 on: 23 Apr 2018, 08:49 am »
In addition, I found that the BDP-II doesn’t skip to the next track after the current track.
I need to play track to track manually when playing an album or a playlist...
I don’t know when, but mostly these 3 days...
Really don’t know why...
:? :? :?

gbaby

« Reply #1363 on: 26 Apr 2018, 03:09 am »
In addition, I found that the BDP-II doesn’t skip to the next track after the current track.
I need to play track to track manually when playing an album or a playlist...
I don’t know when, but mostly these 3 days...
Really don’t know why...
:? :? :?

Reinstall your firmware version. That and rebooting normally solves these minor glitches.

Pundamilia

« Reply #1364 on: 26 Apr 2018, 04:53 am »
There is an option in the BDP-x accessible ONLY from the front panel that specifies that files are to be played SINGLE: ON/OFF. Somewhere in the BDP manual (I think near the end where it shows all the front panel controls) you can find out how to change it. Sorry, I can't be more specific, but I am on the road right now and can't check my own BDP or the manual.

BTW, I know about this option because Chris Rice told me how to fix it when I had the same problem last year. I can't guarantee that this is the cause of you issue, but my problem was similar to yours and changing this parameter resolved it.

Good luck.

GoGoDuck

« Reply #1365 on: 26 Apr 2018, 09:03 pm »
Pundamilla & gbaby,
Many Thanks...
I’ll try Pundamilla’s suggestion later...
If issue still exists, I’ll consider to reset the BDP-II to factory setting...

GoGoDuck

« Reply #1366 on: 26 Apr 2018, 09:22 pm »
There is an option in the BDP-x accessible ONLY from the front panel that specifies that files are to be played SINGLE: ON/OFF. Somewhere in the BDP manual (I think near the end where it shows all the front panel controls) you can find out how to change it. Sorry, I can't be more specific, but I am on the road right now and can't check my own BDP or the manual.

BTW, I know about this option because Chris Rice told me how to fix it when I had the same problem last year. I can't guarantee that this is the cause of you issue, but my problem was similar to yours and changing this parameter resolved it.

Good luck.

Thanks this method works...
Can be done on “Virtual Front Panel”...

GoGoDuck

« Reply #1367 on: 26 Apr 2018, 09:29 pm »
Any BDP-2 users know how to set the “NAS Setting” when connecting to Synology DS718+ or DS918+ ?

Rod_S

« Reply #1368 on: 3 May 2018, 04:04 pm »
I have a question, can the BDP-2 (or 3) output the audio stream over the Ethernet connection or is it only used for firmware updates and for finding the locations of source files (i.e. on a NAS)?

Rod_S

« Reply #1369 on: 3 May 2018, 04:08 pm »
Any BDP-2 users know how to set the “NAS Setting” when connecting to Synology DS718+ or DS918+ ?

I have a DS415play, it's been a while since I've been in the setup menu in the BDP-2 but I believe I had to enter the IP then the file share my music was on, then I had to enter the user name/password for the Synology.

roonfan72

« Reply #1370 on: 2 Jun 2018, 06:33 pm »
Taking a BDP-1USB for a spin as the first stage in a (potential) root-and-branch upgrade of my digital source.  Working in Roon Ready Mode (as a committed Roon user).  Attracted to the Bryston for its hi-fi form factor, rather than a series of odd little boxes and power supplies - as well as the potential to drive a high end USB DAC.

First time around the unit seems to have forgotten its Roon Ready status when it went into standby - and defaulted back to USB.  Is this a firmware thing?  Don’t want to update the firmware until I actually own it.

A comment - I’m having a bit of a “can I be hearing this?” reaction.  Running into a Meridian Explorer 2 (yes - something of a mismatch, but people underestimate this giant killer of a DAC at their peril) I expected an uplift to be sure (from a Raspberry Pi with standard PSU).  I expected a stable, quieter digital signal may have some effect on the sound, as well as the BDP effectively also acting as an improved power supply for the DAC.  But oh my goodness!  I’m trying to fight any expectation bias - which may be a factor, of course.  The sound is identifiably the same - but smoother and with greater texture.  Spatial cues seem to be transformed.  Quite a performance.  I can’t see this going back at the end of the trial.

Second question - may be a daft one - I was looking at the Chord Qutest DAC as a (possible) second part of my digital progression.  It gets power through a 5V DC micro USB connection.  Could this possibly be supplied by the BDP, or is it too much?

Many thanks,
Malcolm, Roon (and new Bryston) fan in England.

zoom25

« Reply #1371 on: 2 Jun 2018, 09:46 pm »
Taking a BDP-1USB for a spin as the first stage in a (potential) root-and-branch upgrade of my digital source.  Working in Roon Ready Mode (as a committed Roon user).  Attracted to the Bryston for its hi-fi form factor, rather than a series of odd little boxes and power supplies - as well as the potential to drive a high end USB DAC.

First time around the unit seems to have forgotten its Roon Ready status when it went into standby - and defaulted back to USB.  Is this a firmware thing?  Don’t want to update the firmware until I actually own it.

A comment - I’m having a bit of a “can I be hearing this?” reaction.  Running into a Meridian Explorer 2 (yes - something of a mismatch, but people underestimate this giant killer of a DAC at their peril) I expected an uplift to be sure (from a Raspberry Pi with standard PSU).  I expected a stable, quieter digital signal may have some effect on the sound, as well as the BDP effectively also acting as an improved power supply for the DAC.  But oh my goodness!  I’m trying to fight any expectation bias - which may be a factor, of course.  The sound is identifiably the same - but smoother and with greater texture.  Spatial cues seem to be transformed.  Quite a performance.  I can’t see this going back at the end of the trial.

Second question - may be a daft one - I was looking at the Chord Qutest DAC as a (possible) second part of my digital progression.  It gets power through a 5V DC micro USB connection.  Could this possibly be supplied by the BDP, or is it too much?

Many thanks,
Malcolm, Roon (and new Bryston) fan in England.

Welcome to the club!  :thumb:

You could try the bottom rear USB port as it has the most power. [At that price point, I'd also recommend Crane Song Solaris. Excellent reviews and measurements against other top flagship professional DACs from Benchmark, Mytek, Forrsell, Dangerous Music, Burl, RME, and Apogee.]

roonfan72

« Reply #1372 on: 2 Jun 2018, 09:57 pm »

Welcome to the club!  :thumb:

You could try the bottom rear USB port as it has the most power. [At that price point, I'd also recommend Crane Song Solaris. Excellent reviews and measurements against other top flagship professional DACs from Benchmark, Mytek, Forrsell, Dangerous Music, Burl, RME, and Apogee.]

Thanks.  The Chord is an example for now - I’m hoping to audition many DACs once I get that far.   :D

I think I have found the answer to my other question.  It seems to take a minute or two to boot-up / settle down and restart Roon Ready mode coming out of standby.  I think I was a little over-eager.

artur9

« Reply #1373 on: 3 Jun 2018, 06:14 pm »
It seems to take a minute or two to boot-up / settle down and restart Roon Ready mode coming out of standby.  I think I was a little over-eager.

I find my BDP-1 to sound better if I leave it on all the time.

I am also astonished at the improvement it made.  Wouldn't have thought it possible.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1374 on: 3 Jun 2018, 08:31 pm »
I have a question, can the BDP-2 (or 3) output the audio stream over the Ethernet connection or is it only used for firmware updates and for finding the locations of source files (i.e. on a NAS)?

For control and music selections via mobile device.
cheers

gbaby

« Reply #1375 on: 4 Jun 2018, 01:36 pm »
I have my BDP2 connected to my SP3 using AES output and I have the BDP2 connected to my BDA3 using the coaxial output. I also have my BDP2 connected to the SP3 using USB.  However, recently, I discovered I can no longer switch between USB and AES on the SP3. It is either one or the other, but before, I could use either. I am sure its a setting on the BDP2, but I have not changed anything; it just stopped working. Any help?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1376 on: 4 Jun 2018, 04:16 pm »
I have my BDP2 connected to my SP3 using AES output and I have the BDP2 connected to my BDA3 using the coaxial output. I also have my BDP2 connected to the SP3 using USB.  However, recently, I discovered I can no longer switch between USB and AES on the SP3. It is either one or the other, but before, I could use either. I am sure its a setting on the BDP2, but I have not changed anything; it just stopped working. Any help?

Hi,

What method or what are you using to control playback on the BDP?  Only the MPD service is capable of playing audio back to multiple devices simultaneously.

Chris

gbaby

« Reply #1377 on: 6 Jun 2018, 02:11 pm »
Hi,

What method or what are you using to control playback on the BDP?  Only the MPD service is capable of playing audio back to multiple devices simultaneously.

Chris

I only use MPD. But for some reason, I can no longer switch my SP3 and get sound from the AES input on the SP3 and then switch to USB. I switch to USB sometimes when the bass is to heavy on AES.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1378 on: 6 Jun 2018, 03:30 pm »
I only use MPD. But for some reason, I can no longer switch my SP3 and get sound from the AES input on the SP3 and then switch to USB. I switch to USB sometimes when the bass is to heavy on AES.

If you place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id we can take a look remotely to make sure the BDP is behaving or if not whats missing.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

MoPac

« Reply #1379 on: 19 Jun 2018, 09:57 pm »
BDP-2  S2.36 2017-12-18
Chris:
 Why are some of the albums not generating the small album art: bdp_front_44 and bdp_front_250?  This effects the thumb images on Rigelian.

Thanks. Rich