Stratos amp

WarmColors

Stratos amp
« on: 8 Apr 2020, 01:04 pm »
I have a question I hope you can clarify. I've noticed some excellent stereo amplifiers have a single transformer with dual windings for each channel (Hegel and others) and some have 2 separate transformers, one for each channel. (Stratos top of the line version). Is there true benefit to having two separate power transformers given excellent design elsewhere

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Stratos amp
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2020, 01:17 pm »
I have a question I hope you can clarify. I've noticed some excellent stereo amplifiers have a single transformer with dual windings for each channel (Hegel and others) and some have 2 separate transformers, one for each channel. (Stratos top of the line version). Is there true benefit to having two separate power transformers given excellent design elsewhere
Yes, more power to each channel, less distotions, transformer less hot, longer life, they call it dual mono, certainly Odyssey custumers can inform in more detail.
The Stratos Stereo Extreme have this option:
Additional 400 VA Plitron transformer for 800VA total

WarmColors

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2020, 03:01 pm »
Yes, more power to each channel, less distotions, transformer less hot, longer life, they call it dual mono, certainly Odyssey custumers can inform in more detail.
The Stratos Stereo Extreme have this option:
Additional 400 VA Plitron transformer for 800VA total

So it is a dual mono block in one chasis? Which means each speaker will be getting 300W per channel? Since it's 150-160 per channel with one transformer?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2020, 03:15 pm »
So it is a dual mono block in one chasis? Which means each speaker will be getting 300W per channel? Since it's 150-160 per channel with one transformer?
Which means each speaker will be getting 300W per channel?
No.
Since it's 150-160 per channel with one transformer?
No, double the output power not this easy, for double the output power you will need a new amp with a new different project.

The Odyssey site says:
Stratos Stereo are 150W p/c with 1 or 2 transformers
Stratos Mono are 180W p/c.

EDITED

WarmColors

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2020, 03:27 pm »
Which means each speaker will be getting 300W per channel?
No.
Since it's 150-160 per channel with one transformer?
No, double the output power not this easy, for double the output power you will need a new amp with a new different project.
The Odyssey site says:
Stratos Stereo are 150W p/c with 1 or 2 transformers
Stratos Mono are 180W p/c with 1 or 2 transformers

Ahh okay. So besides "more power" the amp will run cooler with two transformers as well as less distortion and last a little longer.
I don't know I guess I will just need to do more research or listen to the difference having two transformers. I just don't really see the reason right now to spend extra money for two transformers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2020, 03:37 pm »
Ahh okay. So besides "more power" the amp will run cooler with two transformers as well as less distortion and last a little longer.
I don't know I guess I will just need to do more research or listen to the difference having two transformers. I just don't really see the reason right now to spend extra money for two transformers.
So besides "more power" the amp will run cooler
I mean say with 2 transformers these transformers will run cooler.
last a little longer.
I mean say with 2 transformers these transformers will last longer.

More power transformers are a important feature in amps, preamps and even in CD players/DACs it certainly worth the additional price.

WarmColors

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2020, 12:37 pm »
So besides "more power" the amp will run cooler
I mean say with 2 transformers these transformers will run cooler.
last a little longer.
I mean say with 2 transformers these transformers will last longer.

More power transformers are a important feature in amps, preamps and even in CD players/DACs it certainly worth the additional price.

Before I call and place my order. Do you offer tube connectors/terminals for your products? Specifically for the Stratos.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2020, 01:47 pm »
Before I call and place my order. Do you offer tube connectors/terminals for your products? Specifically for the Stratos.

The best thing to do is to call Klaus himself and have all your questions ready and he'll give you all the answers and walk you through what you want.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2020, 04:44 pm »
Please note, Iam not affiliated to Odyssey just a member of this Forum as you.
The Odyssey owner is Klaus.