Tweaks for the Odyssey Stratos Stereo Extreme?

sherod

« on: 6 Jul 2004, 09:27 pm »
I know that Klaus has their own wiring throughout the Stratos, but I was wondering if anyone with some DIY experience has talked to Klaus and performed with his approval without voiding the warranty certain mods on the Stratos,i.e. different internal wiring, blackgate caps in key locations, etc. to further improve the amp's already superb transparency and palpability. I currently own the Stratos Stereo Extreme and am very happy with it. I was just curious about additional tweaks internally, if even possible.   :D

Matthew Wilson

Mods
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2004, 10:18 pm »
With klaus's permission I would be happy to post a range of mods you can do.
If you do them yourself though A: you need, absolutely, to know what you are doin. B: It will void your warranty if you DIY.

I have Odyssey Extreme Mono's with @ $1000 of custom bits in there. For the $$$ they are amazing and come very, very close to the Jadis Ja 200 Mono's which are erm....expensive..Ahem!

So whats in mine? Well lots of expensive stuff.
Some blackgates, Vishay 'nude' S102's, Caddocks, Auricaps, hexfred's, ICW's (caps), ERS, hardwired 1 metre LS cable, Microsorb and acrylic damping, you get the idea. If Klaus say ok I'll post detail's but it's your funeral if you screw up your amp b'cos you only think, you know what your doing. Matt

sherod

Stratos mods?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2004, 12:40 am »
Well, Matthew, Klaus might not want to touch this, since it voids the warranty for the DIY. But, maybe Klaus's technicians might make the time to provide various mods at different levels of cost while still keeping the warranty intact. I always figured that Klaus had to keep the costs of parts reasonable in order to sell his amps at a realistic and affordable price. Maybe for the Stratos owners who love their amp but want to give it an all- out tweak, Klaus might offer this service. Or maybe you Matthew might be hired by Klaus as an independent contractor to do these various mods for his customers and still provide the warranty as well. If so,Matthew, please put me at the top of your list. I probably could do some mods myself, but voiding the warranty would make me feel a little jittery with that soldering iron in my hand. I don't plan on getting rid of my Stratos Extreme any time soon, so I was wondering just how much more purity could be wrung out of that wonderful circuitry with an few caps,wire, and resistors here and there.   :idea:

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2004, 08:17 am »
ALWAYS<  ALWAYS  call me first  when doing upgrades.  
Sherod,  the absolutely best upgrade for you is not trying to spend $$$  for the stereo Extreme,  but going mono instead.  From Stereo to Mono,  that's whee the big jump in performance comes in.

Late

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2004, 06:19 pm »
Sherod:

Having been a customer of Klaus's since 1999, and having done the upgrade from Stereo to Mono, in 2000, I will agree with Klaus wholeheartedly.  That first upgrade from Stereo to Mono is your biggest jump, everything after that is just icing.

JackD

byteme

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2004, 07:12 pm »
Would that hold true for stereo to dual mono as well?  I, too, have a stereo extreme, however, if I remember right you can't do a dual mono "extreme" version since there isn't enough room.  Darn shame!  Because I've only got room for 1 box.   :(

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2004, 07:17 pm »
On a whim one day I set my Extreme mono's up as stereo extremes so I could try bi-amping using a stereo extreme for each speaker. No question, they sound better as mono's. It's worth the extra $$ for the mono's.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2004, 01:45 pm »
Gee thanks Mike, now I have to buy another amp!!    :lol:

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2004, 05:02 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Gee thanks Mike, now I have to buy another amp!!    :lol:

No problem Rich, always willing to lend a hand.  :dance:  :beer: