Recommendation for cartridge to use w/ Rega p25 and Tempest

djbnh

I'm looking for recommendations for a cartridge to use with a Rega P25 and my Tempest preamp (I also own a Stratos w/cap upgrade). Right now I'm looking at a Dynavector DV-10X5 from a performance and pricing point; I've also heard it works well with the Rega.

An additional question: I know the Dynavector is a high output MC, so if I do end up with that, would I use the MM setting on the Tempest?  :?:

In advance, thanks to column readers for their respective responses.

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2004, 01:09 am »
Yeah, I'd use it with the MM section of the preamp.  If you decided to get a Dynavector 20X, you can get the high output or low output, though I've heard the lower output one is more refined and you'd need to use that with the MC stage of the preamp.

Michael

KarlDL

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2004, 02:16 am »
In my experience, high output MCs just don't have the detail that the "traditional" MCs do, nor the stellar midrange that is my reason for favoring MCs over MMs to begin with.  My personal experience is with a Dynavector Karat and Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, the latter being a "mid-level" as MCs go.  The "jury is out" on the Ortofon thusfar, mainly due to disintegrating bushings in my late '70s tonearm and their impact on its bottom-end performance.  Midrange is stellar, as expected.  

The "stock" Tempest is very quiet with the Ortofon, much more so than the Acurus P10 that it replaced (a look "under the hood" quickly reveals why - 5 transistors paralleled in the Tempest MC input stage vs. 1 in the P10).  My Tempest went back to Klaus for its upgrade recently, so it will be interesting to listen when it returns - and I either replace the 'table & arm or get a new arm for the old 'table.

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2004, 01:48 am »
I have been a fan of Denon MCs for years!  

Here's what I'm running with my Tempest:

George Merrill modified AR ES-1 with Premier MMT tonearm.

[Merrill mods: acrylic subchassis, upgraded motor with focault shield, inner and outer platter balanced and lead coated, new spindle, bearings and oil well, new springs.]

Denon DL-103D & Denon DL-304 low output moving coil cartridges in Orsonic AV-1 anti-vibration headshells; Extremephono donut turntable mat and stylus cleaner; The Lifter; AuralThrills / VanDenHul D501 cable; KAB clamp; Disc Doctor and Nagaoka CL-152 vinyl cleaners; Audioquest anti-static brush; DIY tonearm wrap.

--Bob