Anyone notice this: "The Simplex is Here"?

AshK

Re: Anyone notice this: "The Simplex is Here"?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Aug 2010, 08:54 am »
Hi there

Thanks for the welcome. The review will appear on www.witchdoctor.co.nz in a week or so.

A local guy sells custom made 4.5mm perspex dustcovers, which is something I'll seriously consider because my room is like a small dust storm for some reason.

Re. the manual cueing, I've just got to get used to it but have dumped the cart twice so far, which is scary but I've become far more methodical in the last day or so. I think I've been spoiled by using an arm lift for so long...not sure I'm ready to dump the finger lift on the Simplex though :D

ssegrub

« Reply #21 on: 30 Aug 2010, 09:33 am »
Just a subtle bit of advertising showing the lift off acrylic protective cover I make for turntables. This is a customer's photo of his Amadeus turntable and his new custom made cover. As for the concern about finger lifts etc....when I let mine slip now and then, the cartridge does not fall but tends to floats down due to the golf ball in fluid bearing and is not a problem.

AshK

« Reply #22 on: 30 Aug 2010, 10:19 am »
Hi Paul

I'll definitely be in touch re. your dustcovers if I grab the Simplex, which is looking increasingly likely as I listen to more vinyl on it.

You're right about the arm floating as opposed to falling, which is a comfort. Still...wouldn't want to hook the fingerlift and drag the stylus along too often.

Ash

ssegrub

« Reply #23 on: 30 Aug 2010, 10:42 am »
Excellent Ash ...they take about 4 weeks to get made, so I hope you dont mind waiting.

threadkiller

« Reply #24 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:40 pm »
That is a nice looking cover...but is it heavy?  Notice all this apprehension about turntable use! my my...
as for that, Ash, the best thing is to remove the fingerlift altogether, and just lift the arm with your finger.  You have much more control than using the fingerlift, and it's very safe, as Paul has mentioned.
Either way, I think you get the idea that you'll start spinning more vinyl.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2010, 11:34 pm »
I'm lazy AND clumsy. 
Is there any reason why that all encompassing cover could not be hinged to the table and lifted up that way?
Turntables are dust magnets in my house as well.
I play a lot of albums and sooner or later I'd do something really stupid (like smash the hell out of the arm by dropping the cover on it).

threadkiller

« Reply #26 on: 31 Aug 2010, 01:36 am »
Steve, that's a nice thought, but I'd think it'd be hard to sort out....the table couldn't support such a beast as is, if you reduced the size it wouldn't clear the pillars on the right.   
No perfect solution yet, other than a swifter...:)
In the whole time I've had my Amadeus, I've never miscued (that's what she said) or had any problems whatsoever....as posted earlier, the damping in the arm could be a blessing for some.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2010, 10:16 am »
I'm sorry, it must be the pre senile dementia.
I meant to ask if there was any reason that the cover could not be hinged to the cabinet that the turntable is sitting on?

ssegrub

« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2010, 11:14 am »
The design of a lift on and off model came from Well Tempered in the first place.
These covers are too heavy to hinge onto the turntable and then there is the problem of microphonics...I always used to take my hinged Linn LP12  cover off, when listening to records back in the 80's, as it sounded better with out it.

AshK

« Reply #29 on: 3 Sep 2010, 09:32 am »
I can wait a few weeks for a cover Paul...no worries, will just work over the TT with a blower brush a few times per week I guess. Do you make the covers to a set size or do you custom make according to the desired clearances around the deck, preferred height etc?

I tried cuing with the arm, it's easier than I thought and is probably the way to go.

BTW I was away from home for a few days. The first thing I did when I walked in the door was get some vinyl spinning on the Simplex. This thing is seriously addictive. Will have to see if I can borrow a few different cartridges soon just to get a better handle on things. Anyone got any favourites?

ssegrub

« Reply #30 on: 3 Sep 2010, 11:49 am »
I custom make covers to suit customers requirements....however I have an Amadeus ex demo cover ready to go right now, as it happens.
As for cartridges, one of the Dynavector range seems to be the favourite choice.
I use a Koetsu Rosewood on my Amadeus and am really happy with it.
Good luck in your quest to borrow a few cartridges to try....

threadkiller

« Reply #31 on: 3 Sep 2010, 03:07 pm »
Hi Ash,
the one you're using, the 20XL, is great. Also, the Dynavector XX2, wonderful combination.
Have fun...

AshK

« Reply #32 on: 4 Sep 2010, 04:30 am »
I'd be very keen on that dust cover Paul...will drop you an email.

Ash