Power Rating of Orton Integrated

Hogg

Power Rating of Orton Integrated
« on: 25 Oct 2013, 01:37 am »
I have a Sonneteer Orton integrated amplifier.  I though this product was rated at 30 watts/channel into 8 ohms.  I've seen on the web  the Orton is rated at 70 watts/channel.  Are there different versions of the Orton?  Thank you.

Jim

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Re: Power Rating of Orton Integrated
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2013, 08:24 am »
Hi Jim,
And good morning from tropical UK.

Yes indeed I have seen the Orton advertised with all sorts of power ratings. Apart from a couple of small revisions (The Orton is in its mark 3 guise now) we have not changed the power configuration.

It is a 30 or so watt per channel amplifier if measured into 8 ohms with a Sine wave at 1kHz and 1% distortion. This is the accepted standard method of measurement for which you will see figures published. Though I do know some do it at 10% distortion!

My point is the figures tell a very very small part of the story.

The Orton is a dual mono amplifier with three power supplies. One for each channel and one for the control circuitry. Each channel has a 160VA power supply with a Cascade of capacitors. In this sense the actual power when say and orchestra is in full throttle is even across the spectrum. It is also as responsive and controlled as can reasonably be to both the most subtle and most dynamic of sound.

This also means it can drive a loudspeaker comfortably down to 2 ohms without seeing it as a virtual short circuit. In this case you are getting a lot of power out of it.

The unfortunate thing about the accepted norm of published specification is that it allows us to know more judge a product than you would a person by knowing only that they had a head, two legs and two arms.

I hope this helps.

Haider

Hogg

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2013, 12:21 am »
Haider,

Thank you for the prompt reply.  The Orton is a wonderful amplifier.  I've had mine for about 4 years and it always performs flawlessly.

Jim

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2013, 11:13 am »
That's great news Jim,

Always good to hear. Feel free to pester us whenever you need to know more. :)

Haider