De Capos not doing it with large scale orchestral music; speakers or amps?

Jonathan

My system has evolved to a point where it sounds as good as it ever has (Quicksilver Mini Mono amps and linestage, Sony SCD-1, Speltz Anti cables, Adire Rava sub), especially on small-scale, well-recorded music.

The real weakness, however, is with large-scale orchestral music (e.g., Grieg, Dvorak, Mozart, Rachmaninov,etc.). I'm in a small room (13 x 13) and not listening particularly loudly, but rather than opening up and blooming as things get louder, the system tends to sound congested and steely. My wife, a classical music lover and conservatory professor, hates the sound of this kind of music on the system, and I can hardly blame her (in truth, she has yet to forgive me for selling an old pair of Thiel CS-3s, mated to an Adcom 555 and Krell PAM-3; this odd combination did classical music very well).

I'm well aware that reproducing large-scale symphonic music is the Achilles' heel of many small speakers, but I'm wondering if the problem might be less the fault of the De Capos than the amps. Perhaps the QS's 25 watts per channel is just not enough to handle the peaks and crescendos in this music?

Anyone find that their De Capos do very well with large-scale music? If so, what are you driving them with?

mauro

hi

I own it's some years a couple of mmc 1st version. I've never heard them dirven by valves, but what i can say is that i use for a couple of years an aragon 4004 (200w x ch into 8 ohms!!) driven by audible ill.mod 2d and now with an electrocompaniet eci3 (75 w, what a wonderfull amp!) and they produce a wide big and very very dynamic sound with orhestral music (vivaldi 4 season for example). I see here in this forum that almost everybody use low powered valve amps with mmc due to their relatively high efficiency, but what i can tell you is that i'm relly happy with ss (particularly with the electro).
hope this may help you

bye :wink: