The nOrh SE 9

Joe Schlabotnick

The nOrh SE 9
« on: 6 Jan 2003, 01:07 pm »
I've notice that this amp is never referred to as a "SET", but is it?  Excuse my ignorance but, that means it not a push pull, right?

Does it use any negative feedback?

Any possibility of nOrh offering a special edition utilizing up graded caps and wiring from the factory?  (I'm not the DIY kind)

I really really want to resolve some of these issues because I want to mate either the nOrh SE 9 or Decware (GASP 2 watt amplifier) with Omega TS 3.  Maybe in time add the Zero Auto Transformers in for good measure.  Any comments?

gonefishin

The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2003, 03:32 pm »
By rights...you can claim it is a SE triode wired tube amp.  But this is not the same thing as being a DHT SET tube amp...like the 45, 2A3, 300B, 845...etc.

The SE9 tube amp is wired as single ended amp using a pentode tube wired in triode mode.  Can you call this a SET amp...well...I guess you can.  Is it a SET amp by which many people are referring to when they say SET?  no...most of the time when people are talking about a SET amp they are referring to one using a power triode (not a pentode tube)...and the amp is wired single ended.  

I haven't heard the Nohr se-9...but I have heard similar amps...single ended amp with el34's wired in triode mode...no, it doesn't have that SET magic...but it does have that tube magic!  Nice decay...good soundstage...just...a rightness to the music :) (for me at least)  At such a low price...for a nice int. tube amp...I really think it's a win win situation.  You win on sound for the price.

take care>>>>>>

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2003, 03:39 am »
Welcome Joe!

mbarnes of nOrh had been know to do special items - just ask Marbles  :wink:  he has some really nice stuff!

Unfortunately he is at CES and may not be back to Thailand for a week or so. You can email him (see his website) and he may just get back to you soon.

mbarnes

• http://www.norh.com
The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2003, 02:57 am »
The SE 9 is designed to be a very high value amplifier and we are not targeting it to the high-end market  per say. We do belive it is  the highest level of sound available for the price.  We would prefer to offer better performance in new packages as we did with the SE 18 than to upgrade the SE 9.

nathanm

The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2003, 05:45 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=447.msg3179#3179

There, a review.  I hope you're happy Mr. Barnes!  :lol: :wink:

audiojerry

The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2003, 01:58 pm »
And believe me, coming from Nathanm, a positive review is a REALLY POSITIVE REVIEW. This guy is one tough cookie.

wunderlast

The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2003, 05:17 am »
Sorry to correct anyone, but the SE9 is pentode wired, no neg feedback. That is why it has 9 watts.
If it were wired triode, it would have 3 or 4 wpc.

mbarnes

The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2003, 07:51 pm »
I would like to thank Nathon for the review.  I do believe that any review is a review of the system and not so much for a given component.  Le Amps sound great with the SM 6.9s and the real marble 9.0s.  The SE 9 really isn't a good match for either of these.  However, the SE 18 does do a very good job with both of these speakers.

The SE 9 has a passive preamp.  A small portable CD player probably isn't going to generate as much output as a standard unit so you will get less volume from the portable. The SE 18 has an active preamp.

The main focus for bringing out the SE 9 was to get the price of enjoying audio down.  The SE 9 might seem hot but it is only using 80 watts.  That is not much more than a single light bulb.

gonefishin

The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2003, 03:10 am »
wunderlast...your absolutly right...my mistake.

taketwo

The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2003, 01:55 am »
Reading the reviews and impressions of the SE9, I understand that it works well with speakers with simple crossovers like the nOrh 3.0 and Omega TSx. I intend to pair one with the Triangle Titus, a speaker with minimalist crossover, 90db 4ohm. Anybody have experience with the Titus and know whether it pairs up well with the SE9?

Thanks.

mbarnes

The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2003, 12:28 pm »
I think that the requirement to have simple or even full range speakers is very much overstated.  Many of our cusotmers are using their regular loudspeakers that they have used with far more powerful amplifires. Nathon's review uses the nOrh 7.0s.

One of my personal favorite combinations is the nOrh Prims 6.6 and even the 6.0. I think that the 3.0s are an ideal match in terms of price and performance.  

Many of the low-cost amplfiiers sold today are only 1.5 to 2 watts.  The SE 9 is 9 watts so it will work with a much larger range of speakers than lower powered amplifiers.

Nathon's review points out that the SE 9 can produce very good bass.  Of course, there will be little or not bass from a 3 inch woofer.  

The SE 9 is a much bigger sounding amplifier than most people would expect.

We are expecting two more reviews very soon. One on www.tnt-audio.com and the other on Enjoy the Music.com

Quote from: taketwo
Reading the reviews and impressions of the SE9, I understand that it works well with speakers with simple crossovers like the nOrh 3.0 and Omega TSx. I intend to pair one with the Triangle Titus, a speaker with minimalist crossover, 90db 4ohm. Anybody have experience with the Titus and know whether it pairs up well with the SE9?

Thanks.

nathanm

The nOrh SE 9
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2003, 07:25 pm »
It's Nathan, not Nathon.  :nono:  Thanks!

Anyway, I don't currently have any speakers that have enough bass extension to reveal wether or not the SE-9 is giving up the goods in that department or not.  Audiojerry's B&W Matrix 801s were the only ones tried so far, but to be honest we did not listen to them for very long.  I recently bought a pair of used Prism 6.6s from some guy in California, and assuming he holds up his end and actually ships them I'll be able to tell ya'll what it sounds like with them.  I am not expecting bass slam miracles, but one thing is for sure, the Prism 6.6 cabinet is way bigger than the drums, and there's two woofers instead of one.  I am hoping this will fill in the gap between the mains and the subs a bit better.  If nothing else, I'll have some gorgeously kick-ass looking speakers!  8)  

Right now I'm running the 3.0 drums with the SE-9 and my VMPS sub crossed over at 60Hz.  I also rearranged the speakers to sit much closer to my couch than normal.  This has proven to be a good setup sonically, if not practically.  The high airy treble isn't there for sure, but overall it's pretty darn good.  I also threw in some Tung Sol 12ax7 tubes in the SE-9 for giggles. I can't quite describe what the difference is, but maybe the Tung Sols are smoother.  I dunno, there was more to be gained by proper positioning of the speakers.  

What the SE-9 needs is a little dust brush to be included in the box.  I think that would be a nice touch.  The thing is lovely, and the mirror finish really shows dust, so I can imagine a person would wanna baby it.  Just don't burn your fingers! :oops:

Side note: The SE-9 would make a good object for use in one of those Strongest Man competitions, not because it is SO heavy, but rather because it is so awkward to lift!  Most of the weight is at the back and when you pick it up it wants to tip.  Carrying it inside a box is even more bizarre.  That's the kind of information the customer really needs to know, aina? :P