ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

tdangelo

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1120 on: 12 Apr 2009, 02:53 am »
I was wondering - can the rectifier tubes effect the overall gain of the TP?  I seem to hear a slight volume increase with the CV378 VS the EML.  Am I imagining this?  :scratch:

funkmonkey

« Reply #1121 on: 12 Apr 2009, 04:01 am »

It will be interesting to get your feedback on the EML Marco, a great birthday present.
I've celebrated finishing my personal and business taxes by buying a KWA 150 :thumb:

Wow, talk about your great gifts to one's self!  Very nice - congrats, Phil.  I look forward to hearing your impressions.  I think you'll be very pleased.  Mine has been breaking in quite nicely and I've been loving it more every day. 

Funny about my B'day present:  My wife is not entirely supportive or happy about my audio obsessions, in spite of her training as a musician.  She asked for a clue as to what I wanted for my birthday and I told her that an EML 5u4g would be very nice. Her response (eyes rolling upwards) - "If you think I'm buying you one of those hundred dollar light bulbs you're dreaming!"  So I'll be gifting myself this year and I think I'd better shred that receipt. :tempted:

Happy birthday, and Tax-day.  I'm with you, Marco, on hiding receipts for the "hundred dollar light-bulbs" (actually more than 200 for this one).  I think my wife has given up and just rolls her eyes when a package arrives.  I could be mistaken too, but I thought that the mesh-plate was the hot tube...  either way I have read some good things about mesh-plates (1930's(?) NOS and the current EML) that I would like to experience, so that was my choice.  I want to try it paired with some Ken-Rad VT-231s, from what I have read about the sound of each tube they should make for a very nice pairing, and of course I want to hear it with the TS-rounds.

Speaking of which my Tung Sol Round plates have opened up nicely and getting closer to the 100-hour mark.  Thanks for putting these tubes on the table.

Phil- that is great news about the KWA 150  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  Congratz...  you must have liked what you heard.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1122 on: 12 Apr 2009, 04:25 am »

Happy birthday, and Tax-day.  I'm with you, Marco, on hiding receipts for the "hundred dollar light-bulbs" (actually more than 200 for this one).  I think my wife has given up and just rolls here eyes when a package arrives.  I could be mistaken too, but I thought that the mesh-plate was the hot tube...  either way I have read some good things about mesh-plates (1930's(?) NOS and the current EML) that I would like to experience, so that was my choice.  I want to try it paired with some Ken-Rad VT-231s, from what I have read about the sound of each tube they should make for a very nice pairing, and of course I want to hear it with the TS-rounds.

Speaking of which my Tung Sol Round plates have opened up nicely and getting closer to the 100-hour mark.  Thanks for putting these tubes on the table.

Phil- that is great news about the KWA 150  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  Congratz...  you must have liked what you heard.

Thanks for the Bday wishes. Yeah, George and Phil both confirmed that most are getting the mesh so you're right on that.  I guess I'd caught a few posts regarding folks using the solids and it stuck in my head.  That and a healthy disregard for the sound of mesh 300B tubes I've heard.   :dunno: :shake:

Hey Phil - I must have missed that detail...did you go to hear the KWA somewhere?  If so, where and what were your impressions (besides the obvious)? 

rpf

« Reply #1123 on: 12 Apr 2009, 10:48 am »
I was wondering - can the rectifier tubes effect the overall gain of the TP?  I seem to hear a slight volume increase with the CV378 VS the EML.  Am I imagining this?  :scratch:

Hmm, that's funny; I heard a volume gain with the EML over the CV378 in my MW Sony 9100.   :scratch:  :roll:  :lol:

Happy Birthday, Marco!  :birthday: :wine:

tdangelo

« Reply #1124 on: 12 Apr 2009, 12:37 pm »

Hmm, that's funny; I heard a volume gain with the EML over the CV378 in my MW Sony 9100.   :scratch:  :roll:  :lol:

yeah, that is weird  :o  Anyone else care to comment?

Thanks
Tony

Philistine

« Reply #1125 on: 12 Apr 2009, 01:39 pm »
Excuse the thread diversion - at least it's in the family!
I haven't heard the KWA 150 yet, my decision is based on feedback from owners, Dan and John.  At the end of last year Dan helped me out by installing new caps in my current amp (Musical Fidelity KW500), and had the opportunity to AB it with the KWA.  The feedback from Dan was 'I think you'll like the KWA', John was more direct with 'the KWA beats the c**p out of your amp'.  With these two guys knowing my preferences, and credible, then it's a strong recommendation, reading between the lines I get the feeling that the KWA is a superb performer.  I'll post in the KWA thread when it gets here!

Maybe we should start a 'How to get new gear past your spouse' thread?
I've used - I don't smoke, don't drink, don't have a girlfriend' approach, this failed with a 'it would be cheaper than hi-fi' response :duh:

Happy Easter everyone.

Happy Birthday to Marco.

Audioclyde

« Reply #1126 on: 12 Apr 2009, 01:59 pm »
Happy Bday Marco--we share the 'tax day' BD!  Folks can always remember our BD, but they usually add that they would have got me a gift, but have no $ since they just had to pay their taxes  :cry:!!!

With consent/assistance of my lovely wife (i.e., funding the cost being a big part of my upcoming 50th BD), I will be putting a new pair of ebonized walnut Daedalus DA=RMa's in my setup soon, Lou's working on 'em now  :D :D!!!

Berto

« Reply #1127 on: 12 Apr 2009, 04:23 pm »

I'm with you rpf, I hear a gain with the EML over the CV378 fat bottle. And I also hear a gain with the TS round plates over every 6SN7 I've tried.  61NPs are even louder then the TS rounds but the latter blows them away IMO. 
        EML a over priced lightbulb , that is funny.  I def prefer it over my CV378 fat bottle, I even find myself erasing lesser recordings and searching out better ones to compliment my EML. So IMO the EML is really more a WORTHWHILE "component" as it distinctly makes my system sound BETTER! I might even sell my CV378 for a solid plate EML since my fat bottle seems to get the boot more often then not.
        Happy B-day guys, luv hearing about the toys you are getting, Lou's speakers and Dans new amp have def piqued my interest, look fwd to checking them both out when I can. :thumb:

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1128 on: 12 Apr 2009, 04:36 pm »
Happy Bday Marco--we share the 'tax day' BD!  Folks can always remember our BD, but they usually add that they would have got me a gift, but have no $ since they just had to pay their taxes  :cry:!!!

With consent/assistance of my lovely wife (i.e., funding the cost being a big part of my upcoming 50th BD), I will be putting a new pair of ebonized walnut Daedalus DA=RMa's in my setup soon, Lou's working on 'em now  :D :D!!!

:birthday: :violin: :guitar: :drums: :beer: :banana piano: :dance:

Hey, happy birthday to you as well, my Aries friend! You're celebrating a big one this year - you've got one year on me as I'll hit the half-century mark next year.  Many congrats on the new Daedulus.

Excuse the thread diversion - at least it's in the family!
I haven't heard the KWA 150 yet, my decision is based on feedback from owners, Dan and John.  At the end of last year Dan helped me out by installing new caps in my current amp (Musical Fidelity KW500), and had the opportunity to AB it with the KWA.  The feedback from Dan was 'I think you'll like the KWA', John was more direct with 'the KWA beats the c**p out of your amp'.  With these two guys knowing my preferences, and credible, then it's a strong recommendation, reading between the lines I get the feeling that the KWA is a superb performer.  I'll post in the KWA thread when it gets here!

Maybe we should start a 'How to get new gear past your spouse' thread?
I've used - I don't smoke, don't drink, don't have a girlfriend' approach, this failed with a 'it would be cheaper than hi-fi' response :duh:

Happy Easter everyone.

Happy Birthday to Marco.

Thanks, Phil.  I've learned, over many years, way back to his 9.0 prototype, that Dan shares some pretty fundamental views on how a great system should sound.  I hold his opinions in high regard so I expect, given what he and John said, you'll be very happy.

I haven't tried the same approach as I share the same lack of vices (though I do like my wine), but I don't think it would work in my case.

Happy easter to all.....now can someone explain to me what pink bunnies and chocolate eggs have to do with Christ rising up from the dead?  That's a topic for another thread on another forum.  Now y'all have to excuse me while I go hunt down those painted eggs and have myself some breakfast.

Thanks, for all the B'day wishes.....and finally back to the topic at hand (with apologies for the diversions) - I thought I was hearing a similar effect goin from a TS 5u4g over to a Non-MW CV378 in my TP.  Just a slight boost in apparent gain.  I'll have to try that swap out again and report back when I do.   

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #1129 on: 12 Apr 2009, 09:58 pm »
Hello Everybody,
                     All of the recent 5U4G Mesh orders will be shipped out Monday the 13th. We still have a few pieces left for anyone interested. They are going fast!

Best,

George

MrBrix

« Reply #1130 on: 13 Apr 2009, 04:32 pm »
Hello Everybody,
                     All of the recent 5U4G Mesh orders will be shipped out Monday the 13th. We still have a few pieces left for anyone interested. They are going fast!

Best,

George

I am interested George.   Consider my order placed.  Left you a message today

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1131 on: 14 Apr 2009, 04:28 pm »
Regarding the 9-pin to Octal adapters - Someone mentioned an inexpensive version that requires grinding down (any URL links to that to indicate cost/availability for that one)? Then there's Waynes beautifully made version specifically for the MWTP's holes. I assume from the post that Wayne's are significantly more expensive (understandable in that they're hand-made).  Are there other options?   

On another note - I've got a Kuhl tube Mullard CV378 GZ37 that I recently got from Canada.  It is a 1960's military version, cryo'd by Kuhl tubes in Ontario.  NOS with only about 20 hours on it.  With the EML on its way I'm going to let this one go.  PM me with a $ offer if anyone is interested in trying it out with their TP.  I'll consider trades too (DR's or 5AR4 or 6SN7+$).

tdangelo

« Reply #1132 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:24 pm »
can anyone comment on burnin time needed with the Hyper mod?  Just wanting to see what others have experienced as far as how many hrs. were needed of if you even heard any difference with burnin.  I had my Truth mod upgraded to the Hyper and have about 40 hrs on the Hyper mod.

Thanks
Tony

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1133 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:30 pm »
Tony,
Like all of Dan's mods that use his capacitors and other hi-end parts, plan on 100 hrs until you start to hear changes, and 200 hours for a good 90% of the burn in.  The remainder takes another 100 hrs or so, but is not as noticeable, and can be easily done during serious listening.  I do the first 100 or so in repeat, off hours mode.  All that being said, the hypermod is such a huge change, IMO, that you hear it in hour one, but the burn in times are still relevant.

tdangelo

« Reply #1134 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:32 pm »
Tony,
Like all of Dan's mods that use his capacitors and other hi-end parts, plan on 100 hrs until you start to hear changes, and 200 hours for a good 90% of the burn in.  The remainder takes another 100 hrs or so, but is not as noticeable, and can be easily done during serious listening.  I do the first 100 or so in repeat, off hours mode.
Thanks Ted.  I was thinking since the actual signal caps weren't replaced but just relocated it should be good to go - I have a ways to go ;)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1135 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:33 pm »
Tony,
Like all of Dan's mods that use his capacitors and other hi-end parts, plan on 100 hrs until you start to hear changes, and 200 hours for a good 90% of the burn in.  The remainder takes another 100 hrs or so, but is not as noticeable, and can be easily done during serious listening.  I do the first 100 or so in repeat, off hours mode.
Thanks Ted.  I was thinking since the actual signal caps weren't replaced but just relocated it should be good to go - I have a ways to go ;)

You have a point, but the PS was so significantly changed that the burn in is still has a substantial effect.

AB

« Reply #1136 on: 15 Apr 2009, 03:45 am »
Tony,
I am curious as to what you're hearing and what your hoping for with break in.

I am in the midst of breaking in some changes to my 36.5+ and need some commiseration.

TIA

twodown

« Reply #1137 on: 15 Apr 2009, 11:14 pm »
I rarely post (although an avid follower), but thought I would give a "Thank You" to all the many contributors for the phenomenal improvements to my MW TP over the past month   8).  Of course this is basically another confirmation of what others have found in terms of upgrades/tube rolling.  A couple of months back I rolled the EML mesh tube into my system but rapidly removed based on the information provided here.  Based on the initial listening impressions, I decided it was time to move to the platinum upgrade...I did not anticipate how bad the withdrawal  was going to be while it was away  :banghead: (although I did get a chance to revisit my SACD collection).  If others have been sitting on the fence, I  strongly recommend going ahead and sending it to Dan for the upgrade.  In addition, while it was away, I placed orders for Wayne's octal adapters (if you are considering adapters, I strongly recommend these (Wayne is a great guy) along with a pair of 6SN7GT Tung Sol Black Glass Round Plate tubes.  Although I can't comment on how each individual upgrade/change improved my system, as I impatiently put everything in place after the TP arrived back safe and sound, I can state that after a week of listening I cannot believe the incredible detail/sound stage/musicality I am now hearing   :dance: :dance: :dance:

I hope that everything is now in place for a long time to come as it is hard to imagine any additional significant improvements (although I will be rolling my HW GZ37 and EML for comparisons) but realize that is probably only possible if I stop reading this thread (but that would mean more withdrawal symptoms  :lol: ).

Cheers

Philistine

« Reply #1138 on: 16 Apr 2009, 12:35 am »
I rarely post (although an avid follower), but thought I would give a "Thank You" to all the many contributors for the phenomenal improvements to my MW TP over the past month   8).  Of course this is basically another confirmation of what others have found in terms of upgrades/tube rolling.  A couple of months back I rolled the EML mesh tube into my system but rapidly removed based on the information provided here.  Based on the initial listening impressions, I decided it was time to move to the platinum upgrade...I did not anticipate how bad the withdrawal  was going to be while it was away  :banghead: (although I did get a chance to revisit my SACD collection).  If others have been sitting on the fence, I  strongly recommend going ahead and sending it to Dan for the upgrade.  In addition, while it was away, I placed orders for Wayne's octal adapters (if you are considering adapters, I strongly recommend these (Wayne is a great guy) along with a pair of 6SN7GT Tung Sol Black Glass Round Plate tubes.  Although I can't comment on how each individual upgrade/change improved my system, as I impatiently put everything in place after the TP arrived back safe and sound, I can state that after a week of listening I cannot believe the incredible detail/sound stage/musicality I am now hearing   :dance: :dance: :dance:

I hope that everything is now in place for a long time to come as it is hard to imagine any additional significant improvements (although I will be rolling my HW GZ37 and EML for comparisons) but realize that is probably only possible if I stop reading this thread (but that would mean more withdrawal symptoms  :lol: ).

Cheers

Hi Twodown, you've done what we all do and commited the cardinal sin of changing 3 variables at the same time with the Hyper-Drive, EML and 6SN7's!  Well the good news is that, IMHO, all 3 individually are significant upgrades, I did them step by step and can give a  :thumb: to each and every one.  The only other tweak I've applied are the Herbie Tube dampers, which appear to tighten everything up a notch.   Enjoy your TP.
Phil

owenmd

« Reply #1139 on: 16 Apr 2009, 06:52 am »
I completely agree with twodown.... I've recently received my Transporter back from Dan with the full Platinum mods and the improvements in weight, authority, detail and background quietness is very significant.... in fact, I don't know how else you could get that level of improvement in any other way for the same money..... which makes it a true bargain upgrade.

Due to the now solved capacitance issue, I've been trying various other rectifier tubes in place of the EML for the past couple of months.... assorted GZ34's, 32 and a 37.  Although they all have their different strong points, I haven't been able to get happy overall.... it just wasn't working for me!  Finally getting the EML mesh back in its place fixes all the issues.... it just sounds right and doesn't lack in any area.  For me in my system, the EML has been confirmed as mandatory to get the best out of the Transporter.... its in another class as far as I'm concerned.

Talking about George at TubesUSA.... I've just done some other business with him and I would like to say again what a pleasure he is to deal with.... fantastic customer service, a true gentleman.

Cheers,

Mark