Antique HT2-TL's w/ RAAL tweeter

jsalk

Antique HT2-TL's w/ RAAL tweeter
« on: 7 Jul 2010, 08:16 pm »
Scott had a piece of "distressed" furniture and wondered if we could duplicate the finish on a pair of HT2-TL's.  We said, sure, we could certainly "down-grade" our finishing and mess things up pretty good.

Not being furniture finishers, we had never done this type of finish before.  After a few heroic but failed attempts, we finally threw in the towel and asked a finishing expert who took us through the entire process. (Thanks, Greg!)

My initial reaction when asked to do this was "why would someone want a nice pair of HT2-TL's made to look like damaged furniture."  But I have to say, while I would not necessarily choose this finish for myself, I really like the way they turned out.

Here is a picture...

And a close-up...

Yes, that is one of our custom RAAL tweeters as well.

Happy listening Scott!

- Jim

« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2010, 12:00 pm by jsalk »

mark funk

Re: Antique HT2-TL's w/ RAAL tweeter
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2010, 09:15 pm »
I think those look real nice. Good job!  :thumb:

:smoke:

HoosierInOhio

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2010, 09:32 pm »
Nice!

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2010, 10:40 pm »
I like how those turned out!  Congrats, Scott.  Welcome to the Salk family.

rahimlee54

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2010, 11:38 pm »
Hope you enjoy them Scott.

Those look good, is it wrong to want to sell regular HT2-TLs for Raal  :scratch:.

coke

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2010, 12:01 am »
Those look good, is it wrong to want to sell regular HT2-TLs for Raal  :scratch:.

YES!!!  :nono:   but it's perfectly fine to sell them for Soundscapes  :lol:

rahimlee54

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2010, 12:14 am »
YES!!!  :nono:   but it's perfectly fine to sell them for Soundscapes  :lol:

Sounds good to me, I would have to sell my car too though, and walk to work.  Hmmmm fitness and nice speakers I might be onto something.

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:08 am »
Hey Jim,

Your breaking my heart!  Your speakers just keep getting better.

I will say though you do go the extra mile to keep your customers happy.

Regards

Rod
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2010, 03:11 am by Rocket »

jriggy

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2010, 04:35 am »
I too, really enjoy that look. Very nice!

sdurrett

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:11 am »
Jim,

Thanks for the great looking speakers.  These will be replacing the HT3's I have and will have the WAF I need with the custom finish to match the furniture. 

When I originally ordered Jim hadn't made the switch to the RAAL.  Back then I figured I'd have a sideways move at best in SQ but now who knows with the new tweeter!

My setup will be AIFF files > PS audio PerfectWave with Bridge for "jitterless" I2S data (when available, currently squeezebox touch) > Fet Valve Ultra+ 550 Double > HT2-TL's.

If I can motivate I'll take some pictures after they arrive and I get the furniture reassembled.  Needless to say the wife wasn't thrilled to have a door missing from the entertainment center for 5 months.

Scott

funkmonkey

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:47 am »
 :thumb:

They look sweet, Scott.  :thumb: I'm digin' the distressed look, great color.

I am very interested to hear what you think about how they compare to your HT3s.  Also, I am curious why you decided on the "sideways" move...  just for the WAF/furniture matching finish?

Enjoy
-Greg

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2010, 03:13 am »
Hi Scott,

Do you mind posting your impressions of the new ht2tl raal speaker compared with the ht3?

I currently have a pair of ht2's (non tl) and all the improvements have piqued my interest.

Regards

Rod

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2010, 03:41 am »
Jim,

Thanks for the great looking speakers.  These will be replacing the HT3's I have and will have the WAF I need with the custom finish to match the furniture. 

When I originally ordered Jim hadn't made the switch to the RAAL.  Back then I figured I'd have a sideways move at best in SQ but now who knows with the new tweeter!

My setup will be AIFF files > PS audio PerfectWave with Bridge for "jitterless" I2S data (when available, currently squeezebox touch) > Fet Valve Ultra+ 550 Double > HT2-TL's.

If I can motivate I'll take some pictures after they arrive and I get the furniture reassembled.  Needless to say the wife wasn't thrilled to have a door missing from the entertainment center for 5 months.

Scott

Wow, that's an awesome system you have there.  Enjoy!