[b]SWL 9.0 and SWL 9.0SE FeedBack![/b]

jackman

« Reply #60 on: 5 Apr 2005, 04:19 pm »
Quote from: John B
The unit was designed and voiced for the Jan Philips

I've always wondered about this.  What exactly do you do that voices electronics to, in this instance, a particular vacuum tube sound characteristic?  And if you voice for the sound of one particular tube, is every other tube you try then, getting away from the proper "voicing" of the component?

John, this is not a slam on Dan's statement or philosophy regarding voicing but I would be willing to say the difference in both tubes might not be that great.  Remember, voicing on Dan's system might not have the same impact as voicing on your system unless you have the exact same system!  I am not saying all tubes sound alike but tubes in a preamp may not have as great an impact (positive or negative) as other factors like amplifiers, speakers, CDP, wires, AC power or one of the biggest factors, the room itself.  

I'm not saying there is a right (or Wright!) or wrong answer to this one, just that there are many factors.  On your system, it's totally feasible that one tube might sound better than another, and that the better sounding tube might be different than the one the component was "voiced" with.  I'm sure Dan's preamp sounds great with lots of tubes and hope to hear it soon.  I love my Modwright modified CDP!  

J

miklorsmith

Yep
« Reply #61 on: 5 Apr 2005, 04:38 pm »
I second the commotion.  Suffice to say that many different sorts sound great with this pre and each might be the right fit for your system.

I have found that the JAN Phillips are the most neutral and probably the best place to start.  Tung Sols are punchier and sound more tubey.  Sylvania GB's are very smooth and silky, also with more of a tubed signature.  There are many other types.

I would say the choice of tubes will have a bigger influence than cables and probably as much as an amplifier.  However, they are still subtle.

I personally didn't like the Amperex 7119 or GE 7044 tubes in my system, but some people like them a lot.  So, there is a great deal of system matching and personal preference involved.  It sure is fun to figure out what works best!

John B

« Reply #62 on: 5 Apr 2005, 06:30 pm »
I personally didn't like the Amperex 7119 or GE 7044 tubes in my system

I'll be trying the Amperex's, a '56 Tungsol and a Sylvania in my Modwright.  May the best NOS win  :mrgreen:

rpf

SWL 9 SE feedback
« Reply #63 on: 8 Apr 2005, 12:26 am »
Hi Dan,
Got the linestage & hooked it up. First thoughts were expletive laced and I rarely curse. It's your fault though as you lied. The production model is not a step up from the prototype - it's at least two steps up! And unbelievable :!:
Okay, got the emotion out of the way. I'll go into detail on the Asylum in a week or so.
In the meantime, about how many hours does the unit have on it? I know the caps take a while to break in but it's hard for me to envision it getting much better.
Finally, are the screws on the chassis called "torque" screws and can I get a driver for them at a hardware store?

Thanks and Congratulations, Dan. It's an incredible achievemtent.
Rob F.

Shunyata Hydra - Modwright Truth Pioneer DV45A ( soon to be upgraded) - SWL 9 SE (with Bybees and Blackgates) - CJ MV60SE - Vandersteen 2CIs (soon to be new Aural Acoustics). All on various Symposium Platforms.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #64 on: 8 Apr 2005, 12:41 am »
Rob F,
Yes, the SWL DOES get better!  After 100 hrs the magic kicks in even more (a lot more, really).

The screws are allen screws and are 6-32's.  Make sure you remove the sides before the tops, and same for putting the cover back on (sides first).  Otherwise you risk too much stress on sides lining up and possibility of stripping the heads.

Ted

rpf

« Reply #65 on: 8 Apr 2005, 02:54 am »
Hi Ted,
Amazing.
Thanks for the info.
Rob

modwright

Burn-in
« Reply #66 on: 8 Apr 2005, 03:39 am »
Hi Rob, thanks for the enthusiastic response ;).  I thought you would like it!

The unit WILL improve for the first 100-150 hours, as the caps continue to break in.

The screws are actually allen screws - 5/64" tool, 6-32 screws.  I should not this in the owners manual.

Enjoy the unit and thanks again for sharing your enthusiasm.

Dan W.

jcoat007

« Reply #67 on: 8 Apr 2005, 01:16 pm »
I'm at about the 100 hour mark and it is just sounding incredible.  I cannot believe how absolutely transparent it is, and yet so musical.  The soundstage width, depth, imaging, PRAT, whatever you look for in a piece of audio equipment, is all there in spades.  

I could not be happier.

I would love to sit down and write a lengthy review, but I cannot stop spinning tunes long enough to do so.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #68 on: 8 Apr 2005, 02:52 pm »
Dan,

I am going to use the public domain to get to you!  Your new work phone number has screwed up mail box system.  I tried to leave message 5 times yesterday and none were recorded.  I did get to rehearse my message -- 5th time was very polished! :wink: The only good thing is that I got through the traffic choke at Tidal Basin (zillions of gawkers in town for cherry blossom) without feeling frustrated. Come to think of it, I didn't even notice the blossoms, which really are quite impressive.  :roll:

I will call you on your cell phone later.

merc

« Reply #69 on: 9 Apr 2005, 04:23 am »
Does anyone know and can direct me to the beta tester who is selling his Modwright SWL 9.0SE preamp?
I saw his ad on Audiogon a few days ago, but checked tonight and cannot find it anymore....

Thanks for any help anyone can offer me....

modwright

Preamp
« Reply #70 on: 9 Apr 2005, 10:41 pm »
I would like to know too :).  Was the ad for a Beta unit or a production piece?  Just curious.

Thanks,

Dan

merc

« Reply #71 on: 10 Apr 2005, 04:31 am »
Oh crap.... sorry, whoever it was.... I just wanted to trade for your SWL 9.0SE and not have to sell something first.... EGAD... hope I didn't get anyone in trouble.

But... if you still want to sell the SWL... let me know.  :mrgreen:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #72 on: 12 Apr 2005, 03:48 pm »
From the answer to my PM, he sounded like he was having some sort of buyer's remorse/nervousa but was hesitant on selling it on account of knowing that it's a great unit.  I walked away because I didn't want to press him to do something he may regret later. :wink: Plus, I wanted more than just a SE version.  So, I called Dan and ordered a new one!  Merc, you can PM him to see if he is still selling.  His listing is still there on TP circle, page 7.

miklorsmith

It was mine, it was me!
« Reply #73 on: 12 Apr 2005, 04:13 pm »
Guilty!  It's off the market and I've pulled it from Audiogon.  Many interested parties, but I decided to stop the insanity.

We audioheads (I) can get so fixated on change and finding the next 2% that we can end up making some bad decisions.  Luckily for me, I figured this out before sending the beloved SE away.

It is not for sale and won't be any time soon (thank you, right brain!)

jcoat007

Near Religous Experience
« Reply #74 on: 12 Apr 2005, 04:23 pm »
Two days ago, I think the unit broke through some kind of burn-in barrier.  I had been doing some tube rolling (which is really beside the point), and I put the Tung-Sols back in that Dan had sent back with the unit when he hot-rodded it.  I turned it on and let it run for about 24 hours and then sat down to listen.  

It was like the three dimensionality of the images just blossomed before my eyes.  The pace, rhythm and timing is something that just seems to ooze from my system now.  The window to the event is sparkling clean, and oh-so-musical.  Not a hint of harshness or grain.  

There have been two things in particular that my system has not done well.  Bowed strings like violins and the upper registers of the piano have never sounded very natural to me.  Now they are just right.  I think that I have stayed away from classical music because of this, but I now have a renewed interest since these two things are just soooo right.  I am in that mode of pulling out lots of music that has been sitting dormant and rediscovering my collection.  

This really is one hell of a piece of equipment.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #75 on: 12 Apr 2005, 05:22 pm »
Jcoat007,
Not to hijack the thread, but I noticed that your gallery says a 999ES Platinum is "coming soon".  When it does, rush out and get some Living Stereo SACD reissues.  They are incredible with this 999ES/preamp combo.  As you say, classical music is now going to be reproduced better, so go get the best sounding classical discs I've ever heard (see long "Gaite Parisienne"  thread at Steve Hoffman's site for more detail), even though they are 1950's and early 60's recordings.  The Mussorgsky, the Scherezade, the Chopin piano....wow.

Ted

modwright

New Feedback!
« Reply #76 on: 29 Apr 2005, 10:43 pm »
Feedback from another happy SWL 9.0SE customer:

Right now I am biamping 4 channels on a Musical
Fidelity HT-600 amp to power the SE.  The sound has
opened up further, and I cannot believe it will
further improve.  Your preamp has earned a spot in my
system an a permannent resident and I am selling off
all my other preamps and integrateds that I have
tried.