[b]SWL 9.0 and SWL 9.0SE FeedBack![/b]

modwright

USB DAC
« Reply #40 on: 13 Mar 2005, 04:25 am »
Thanks for the input.  I am going to finallize the phono pre design first, but I am researching the digital end of things and looking at the various USB input options.

Thanks,

Dan W.

John B

« Reply #41 on: 29 Mar 2005, 04:19 am »
Well, my hot-rodded SE arrived...my that sounds familar  :) ....today.   I ran a conditioning disc for a couple of hours and then sat down for an initial listen.  This is a different sound from the standard SE.  I would have called the standard SE neutral to analytical in nature, this is more warm, more naturally detailed.  I also get the sense, like others have mentioned, that it's not quite ready for prime time with only a few hours on it.  I'll be letting it run 24/7 with a conditioning disc for at least 100 hours.  Still, even fresh, this hot-rod version has the makings of a world class preamp, regardless of price point.

merc

« Reply #42 on: 1 Apr 2005, 03:30 pm »
JB,

Has your opinion changed any over the past three days of listening to the SWL? Is it still improving with use? Have you done any tube rolling with it?

John B

« Reply #43 on: 1 Apr 2005, 09:16 pm »
Merc,

Yup, my opinion has changed with about 72 hours of break-in.   This preamp is phenominal!!  :mrgreen:  It's shifted more towards neutral now, but without the slight edge that I experienced with the standard version.  It's also dead quiet, no detectable tube noise, which is not the case with my other preamp.   The real test will be when I switch out to the Bruce Moore after 3 weeks of listening with the 9.0 SE.   There is one issue that needs to be addressed for owners of tube amps.   I don't know whether my Bruce Moore amps are outside the norm in this, when it comes to tube amps, but their sensitivity and my speaker's somewhat efficient nature, has me hugging the 6 o'clock off position in regards to volume control.   There needs to be a resistor(s) put in place to attenuate that.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #44 on: 1 Apr 2005, 10:17 pm »
John B:

What is the result when you turn the volume control up to say 9 o'clock

Cheers
                                          Charlie

John B

« Reply #45 on: 1 Apr 2005, 10:28 pm »
What is the result when you turn the volume control up to say 9 o'clock

My neighbor calls me threatening life and limb, and my wife hands me the divorce papers  :mrgreen:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #46 on: 1 Apr 2005, 11:14 pm »
John B:

Wow!!!! That preamp must have a tremendous amount of gain! Do you know how much?

Cheers
                           Charlie

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #47 on: 2 Apr 2005, 12:36 am »
The SWL has 19db of gain.

Ted

jcoat007

« Reply #48 on: 2 Apr 2005, 12:58 am »
Quote from: John B
Merc,

Yup, my opinion has changed with about 72 hours of break-in.   This preamp is phenominal!!  :mrgreen:  It's shifted more towards neutral now, but without the slight edge that I experienced with the standard version.  It's also dead quiet, no detectable tube noise, which is not the case with my other preamp.   The real test will be when I switch out to the Bruce Moore after 3 weeks of listening with the 9.0 SE.   There is one issue that needs to be addressed for owners of tube amps.   I don't know w ...

I got my Super Duper Hot Rod SWL 9.0 SE with Black Gates and Bybees about a week ago.  I have been running it in for a couple of days, and while it is still breaking in, it is sounding very very good right now.  

When I sent it in, I had Dan do whatever he had to do so that the volume was more gradual.  I agree that before the change, 9 o'clock was all I could handle.  It was all anyone in my whole county could handle.  

Now I can go to about 12 o'clock before the walls start shaking and the earth starts quaking.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #49 on: 2 Apr 2005, 01:07 am »
I also have the "super duper hot rodded" SE version (Black Gates, Bybee ac and slipstream).  The Tung Sols make this preamp sing, and on Dan's recommendation I added a couple of Herbie's tube dampers (hi heat X-treme versions) just yesterday.  I used Herbie's dampers on my previous pre and they quieted the noise floor and increased the dimensionality of the sound incredibly.  I will report back on their effect here asap.

Ted

jcoat007

« Reply #50 on: 2 Apr 2005, 01:34 am »
I am also using the hi-heat herbie's tube dampers which I used in a previous preamp.  

I just picked up some NOS 5687 and 7119 tubes to try out.  I'll report back on the differences.  

Are you using an aftermarket power cord?  I have a VH Audio Flavor 4 that I am trying.

Benb

« Reply #51 on: 2 Apr 2005, 06:12 am »
Those are the HAL-O 9X dampers?

I should order some in anticipation of my preamp coming.
Are the tubes easy to get to to install?

JerryH

« Reply #52 on: 2 Apr 2005, 06:40 am »
Yes, the 9X. There is an improvement with them, though slight. Worth it for sure.

jcoat007

« Reply #53 on: 2 Apr 2005, 03:47 pm »
Quote from: Benb
Are the tubes easy to get to to install?

Take off the lid and there they are.  Extremely easy.

merc

« Reply #54 on: 3 Apr 2005, 12:05 am »
Very Specifically, which Tung Sols work best?
It seems like there are about a half dozen variations in NOS 5687 Tung Sols and each one claims to be the ONE.?

Please describe in detail the Tung Sols which are really the ONE to buy. Pictures of the tubes would help alot too. :)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 3 Apr 2005, 04:49 am »
Dan installed Tung Sol 5687WB's in mine.  I tried some WA's (not sure of the difference; bought them cuz I wasn't sure at the time if Tung Sols were the stock tube in mine and hadn't looked under the hood) I bought from Tube Depot but they were very microphonic and will return them as defective.  

As far as a power cord, I'm using a VH Audio Flavor 2 and have not pc-rolled yet.  It sounds fantastic, so I'm in a don't-fix-what-ain't-broke mode right now.

Ted

merc

« Reply #56 on: 3 Apr 2005, 06:12 am »
Thanks for the info Ted.

So, are the Tung Sol 5687WBs standard in the SWL 9SE, or do you have to specially order them?

Anyone have a pic of the black faceplate yet?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #57 on: 3 Apr 2005, 01:15 pm »
I think mine had the Tung Sols installed because I has asked Dan about them early on, then forgot about it.  I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the pre up to switch tubes.  My pre has most upgrades except for the stepped attenuator so not sure what is "standard" in the SE.

Ted

modwright

Tubes
« Reply #58 on: 5 Apr 2005, 12:02 am »
We ship all units with the Jan Philips standard.  I have shipped some with Tung-Sols if people specially requested or if I felt that they would prefer them.  The unit was designed and voiced for the Jan Philips and we have a good stock of them.

I ship Tung-Sols with the mods typically, but I ship the preamps with the Jan Philips.  Many have preferred the Jan Philips to the Tung-Sols and some have preferred the Tung Sols.  They are both excellent and have different sonic signatures.

It is necessary to standardize things like tube choice when manufacturing, this is why we ship standard with the Jan's, for both SE and STD models.

Thanks,

Dan W.

John B

« Reply #59 on: 5 Apr 2005, 02:43 pm »
The unit was designed and voiced for the Jan Philips

I've always wondered about this.  What exactly do you do that voices electronics to, in this instance, a particular vacuum tube sound characteristic?  And if you voice for the sound of one particular tube, is every other tube you try then, getting away from the proper "voicing" of the component?