Zhaolu Dac

freo

Zhaolu Dac
« on: 9 Aug 2007, 03:10 am »
I would like to pass on my thoughts on my recent purchase of a Zhaolu 2.5 dac  from Coem Audio in Brisbane.(I forget the chip number but I think it begins with a 3) Being quite new to building and experimenting with different components, and having heard about, but never listened to a dac, when I saw one at a good price with great reviews I decided to take the plunge. I upgraded the headphone amp included in the dac for an extra $65.00 and waited for it to arrive, it is great having these sort of imports available in Australia not such a worry about how it is going to arrive, and not having backup if anything is missing, I found the people at Coem very helpful, when I realised I didn't know how to connect it to my CD player they emailed details very quickly, the dac comes with optical, and coax cable. When I sat down and listened I was a little under impressed but decided to put it on replay and go for a coffee in Fremantle, when I arrived home what a difference, I won't try to describe what I heard just to say it brought a big smile to my face and still does everytime I listen, this component has made the biggest difference to my system to date, and at about $320.00 aus I think it was value for money
My system, war audio speakers, diy bottlehead valve pre amp, diy 15 watt class a amp, with separate power supply, Harmon kardon hd 7600 CD player, Zhaolu dac. I would just like to say I have no association with Coem Audio I just wanted to pass on my thoughts for other people trying to find their way through the minefield of hifi shopping
Regards Roger

jules

Re: Zhaolu Dac
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2007, 03:26 am »
Thanks Roger,

interesting and always useful to get an Australian source. For anyone else who might be interested Coem have a website ...

http://www.coemaudio.com.au/

How's the work going on your Pi 2 towers?

jules

jholtz

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2007, 12:43 pm »
I also recently purchased a Zhaolu 2.5C DAC with the hope of upgrading the sound quality of my system. As Roger indicated, it's quite good with a little burn in time. However, with a couple really inexpensive mods it can be made much better. The opamps are socketed and are extremely easy to replace. I tried both OPA2107 and LM4562's. IMHO, the LM4562's were far better. The next step is also simple. There are four blocking caps that need to be shorted. The sound quality takes a big step forward with this very simple modification.

Here is an extensive thread that outlines these and many more mods that turn the Zhaolu into a world class DAC for little money. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181056

If you want to go all the way to the top, install a LC Audio Zapfilter discrete output stage. The process is well documented in the link and is the mod that takes it to world class. There is also an Ori version of this mod if you have the AD1852 version rather than the CS4398 DAC, that is also extremely good. Both mods essentially double the cost of the DAC but take it to a level that you normally pay thousands of dollars to attain.

Good luck and enjoy your DAC.

Best regards,

Jim

freo

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2007, 03:33 am »
Good Morning
The Pi speakers are almost finished, I didn't realise how large they actually are.
 No wonder I thought my Zhaolu 2.5 (cs4398) dac sounded so good, John at Coem audio had already shorted the blocking caps, upgraded the op amps and the output caps, I am very happy with the sound. I bought a new digital cable from blue jean cable, great idea, you pick the cable you want, what length you need, and how you want it terminated , they then make it up for you. I think I will leave well alone now and just enjoy the music
Regards Roger

mtan002

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2007, 08:21 am »
I also recently purchased a Zhaolu 2.5C DAC with the hope of upgrading the sound quality of my system. As Roger indicated, it's quite good with a little burn in time. However, with a couple really inexpensive mods it can be made much better. The opamps are socketed and are extremely easy to replace. I tried both OPA2107 and LM4562's. IMHO, the LM4562's were far better. The next step is also simple. There are four blocking caps that need to be shorted. The sound quality takes a big step forward with this very simple modification.

Here is an extensive thread that outlines these and many more mods that turn the Zhaolu into a world class DAC for little money. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181056

If you want to go all the way to the top, install a LC Audio Zapfilter discrete output stage. The process is well documented in the link and is the mod that takes it to world class. There is also an Ori version of this mod if you have the AD1852 version rather than the CS4398 DAC, that is also extremely good. Both mods essentially double the cost of the DAC but take it to a level that you normally pay thousands of dollars to attain.

Anybody offering modding services here in OZ? I don't think I can handle the Zapfilter myself. I have a Zhaolu 2.0.

chylld

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2008, 03:49 am »

bit of an old thread, but i just ordered a 2.5 and the link above seems to have broken (points to something else now). does anyone know where i can find this info on modding a zhaolu?

jholtz

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2008, 03:57 am »

bit of an old thread, but i just ordered a 2.5 and the link above seems to have broken (points to something else now). does anyone know where i can find this info on modding a zhaolu?

Try this http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/mod-your-zhalou-thread-178893/ and it should get you there. The thread is incredibly long but worth the effort to wade through it.

Jim

chylld

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2008, 04:03 am »
Try this http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/mod-your-zhalou-thread-178893/ and it should get you there. The thread is incredibly long but worth the effort to wade through it.

Jim

thanks jim, i'll be sure to read it when i've accrued enough annual leave... 202 pages!!!!!

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2008, 11:38 am »
You can probably start halfway through. The beginnng talks about the original model, morphs into the 2.0 version, then picks up again with the 2.5 version. Some of the mods to the 2.0 version are relevant to the 2.5 though, but there is a lot (a whole lot) of fluff there, so you can page through rather quickly.

Most of the posters are not DIY'ers and have nothing to add to the real meat of the discussion.

Enjoy, it's a truly great DAC at any price (after mods)
Bob

chylld

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2008, 02:01 pm »
I already am enjoying it! :) Came home to find a nice heavy box awaiting me, inside was a Zhaolu D2.5 modded by John Pham of Coem Audio here in Australia. He upgraded the caps and opamps, not sure what to (will be sure to ask) but it sounds very nice. Noticing the biggest difference in vocals at the moment, the zhaolu lends some emotion to the singers' voices whereas the laptop's headphone-out sounds like they have socks in their mouths.

I'm comparing it side-by-side with a Super Pro 707 USB DAC which on first impressions sounds like it's missing a lot of bass and dynamic range. I'll do more scrutinising later on though :)