Wiring suggestions

jackthecat

Re: Wiring suggestions
« Reply #20 on: 3 Nov 2006, 09:47 am »
All I can say is a beautifully designed and constructed plug is a joy! Oyaide or furutech ! I spent more than an hour struggling with adapting the industrial power plug to work with the heavy weight wire of the power cable . It was a pain in the arse ! When I came to the well designed and very well thought out IEC plug (furutech) it worked beautifully in about 5 minutes!! Connected. Thats what you pay for ! Thats real industrial design for you. After I had connected it I felt it was worth the money.  aa

thorman

« Reply #21 on: 3 Nov 2006, 12:52 pm »
You could check with Robert at Ridge Street Audio  ( has a circle on this site ). If my memeory serves me he did a complete system wire job for another fellow in Australia not too long ago.......Robert does top quality work in whatever he does...

amdan

« Reply #22 on: 23 Nov 2006, 07:04 am »
The 3 new dedicated 30A circuits have been installed. All I have done so far is to move the power amp on to a new circuit. The CDP and pre-amp are still on the original circuit with the computer, fridge, washing machine etc. The effect has been astonishing. I didn't know what to expect. I was quite prepared for no change at all but have been very surprised with the improvement. The background is much much darker. The transparency is much greater. The soundstage is much better defined and I am getting more detail. Putting in the new circuits was definitely worth the money and effort.

I had a good electrician who was already aware of the harmonics that motors can put into the power supply. So I did not have to argue with him about the potential benefits of putting the new circuits in. A friend of mine did the same sometime ago and had some difficulty convincing the electrician to do the job!

jules

« Reply #23 on: 1 Dec 2006, 12:09 am »
thanks amdan,

All up the re-wire sounds like a good idea ... particularly for those with older houses. Some years ago wiring used to be run around in ceiling cavities enclosed in beautifully made, tinder dry wood channels. It was scary just to look at it let alone step on it by accident.

What did you choose for wall sockets and do you have any tips on how to go about the process?

jules

amdan

« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2006, 10:56 pm »
Jules,

I wish I could say that I did some fancy that nobody else thought of. I wish.

The 3 new dedicated lines are simply capable of 30Amps (6mm wire). We tested the resistance of the circuits both old and new. The old circuit had a resistance of 0.21Ohms. The new circuits : 0.025 Ohms, 0.025 Ohms and 0.03 Ohms.

I couldn't tell you how much of the sound quality improvement was due to the separation of the circuits versus the reduction in resistance. I do know however, that separation made a significant difference. The very first change I made (before I moved the amp into its own circuit) was to remove the ADSL router and wireless router from the circuit. This made a slight but noticeable improvement to the sound.

My CDP and pre-amp are attached to a Belkin line conditioner/surge protector. When I moved the Belkin to its own dedicated circuit, I heard no improvement. Interestingly when I moved the pre-amp off the Belkin and into its own circuit the sound quality worsened significantly. The Belkin is quite effective.

I am using standard Aussie power points made by HPM. I am reluctant to take the safety risk of using American outlets. My power cords use American plugs. I use an adaptor with these.

BTW, each circuit has a double 10Amp power point and one 20Amp power point. I will be experimenting with the 20Amp point once I get a chance to replace the American plug with an Aussie 20Amp plug.

DSK

« Reply #25 on: 1 Dec 2006, 11:50 pm »
Hi Amdan, a few years back I had a couple of 20A dedicated lines installed for my system (8m from the breaker box). I had them installed as the first lines out of the breaker box (ie. right next to the input from the street). There was a small but worthwhile improvement, with the sound being cleaner and allowing greater inner detail to emerge.

My power cords also have US plugs and use Korjo adaptors (these have a very snug fit). I figured that replacing the US plug and US/AUS adaptor may offer some improvement so I bought some Clipsal heavy duty 10A plugs. They were a bitch to fit to the large conductors from my AC cables but I eventually managed it. Unfortunately, there was no audible difference by eliminating the adaptors so I reverted back to the US plugs as I was more comfortable with their more secure fitting.

I vaguely recall reading that 15A plugs & sockets generally sound better but have never investigated this.

junkmail

• www.rkcable.com.au
« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2007, 12:54 pm »
it is worth the effort and expense to put in a dedicaeed power circuit but i have to say it should be done by a registered electrical contractor that way you know the work has been done to comply with australian standards
i would recommend running 4 mm and for longer runs use 6mm squared cable also put the circuit on its own circuit breaker and safety switch