Poll

Do you own or plan to own a turntable?

I own a turntable and it is......
12 (70.6%)
I don't own a table but I plan to get one.  My options are....
1 (5.9%)
I'm all about the pits (CD only audiophile)
2 (11.8%)
What's a turntable?
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: 3 Oct 2003, 07:27 pm

Allright, who has a turntable or is going to buy one soon?

Bryan P

• http://www.otlamp.com/members/BryanPedersen/system.jpg
The De capo I with OTLs
« Reply #40 on: 20 Dec 2003, 09:32 pm »
I have owned my De Capo I for about a month now. They where horriable to start with, very bright and forward,BUT then at about 50 hours things begain to settle down. I now have over 100 hours on them, and they sound delicious. They are VERY fast, great inner detail, musical, and disappear in my room. They are a match made in heaven for OTLs. The Koetsu Rosewood has never sounded better.
This is differntly a long term speaker. They go very deep for a two way speaker. They tweeter is very revealing with out being bright. :D

PaulK

« Reply #41 on: 31 Dec 2003, 11:30 pm »
Yes, I own a turntable - VPI HR-X with van den Hul Colibri XCP cartridge. At this time, there is no digital in my setup. I am also an FM tuner freak proudly owning an ONIX TU-39 FM tuner.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #42 on: 1 Jan 2004, 10:58 pm »
Quote from: PaulK
Yes, I own a turntable - VPI HR-X with van den Hul Colibri XCP cartridge. At this time, there is no digital in my setup. I am also an FM tuner freak proudly owning an ONIX TU-39 FM tuner.

tuna?  did someone say tuna?   :)   (sorry for the turntable interruption.)  hey paul, i am also a tuna freak, proud owner of an onix bwd-1, w/soap-2 power supply.  i wonder how it compares w/the tu-39...  my onix presently resides in my computer-room rig, having lost its place of honor in the main rig to a hot-rodded h/k citation 18.  yust hooked up in the main rig is a hotrodded mac mr65b - mitey fine, but the jury is still out as to whether or not it will supplant the h/k.  right now, i think not, but it's got lotsa new caps that need to burn in...  sonically, it actually reminds me a lot of the onix, which is a wery warm-sounding piece of s/s gear.  a revox b261 serves in the game room, & under-utilized in the bedroom as an alarm clock is my tandberg 3001a.  

for excellent tuna discussion & info try these sites:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FMtuners/
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

regards, & happy new years to all...

doug s.

guest1632

« Reply #43 on: 4 Jan 2004, 02:48 am »
Quote from: HarleyMYK
Thorens TD-160 Super with Grace G-707 arm and a Grace F-9 cartridge.  I thank this forum for encouraging me to get it out of the box it has been in for 9 years and five moves.  I was surprised how much more engaging it has been compared to playing CDs.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #44 on: 27 Jan 2004, 11:30 am »
New to the party AND a bottom-feeder to boot!  I have a Rega P2 with RB200 and Denon DL160.  But I'm LOOKING at better tables, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn once  :)

FLACFP

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jan 2004, 06:35 pm »
Nottingham Horizon with Dynavector 10x4. Am currently open to Lp cleaner ( Budget please) 8)

mcrespo71

« Reply #46 on: 23 Feb 2004, 05:32 pm »
I am also an FM tuner freak proudly owning an ONIX TU-39 FM tuner.

I love my tuner- it's nothing fancy- a Rotel something or other, but boy it can sound lovely on the non-compressed stations!  When I'm just fooling around the house and have the stereo on, I am usually listening to the tuner.  It gives me free music all the time 8)

Michael

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Re: Allright, who has a turntable or is going to buy one soo
« Reply #47 on: 28 Feb 2004, 09:05 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
I'm just curious.  I have a Rega P25 with an RB 900 arm,  Benz Micro Silver High Output MC cartridge, and Heavyweight counterweight for arm...

I just have a modest Project Wood Classic with a Grado Red cartridge and i use the cheapest Radio Shack battery powered phono preamp (it's actually pretty damn good for $25)

melville

« Reply #48 on: 4 Mar 2004, 04:38 am »
I have an Oracle Delphi MkV/Rega 900/Goldring Excel VX.  This is a very neutral, dynamic setup.  It could use a little more warmth.  I run it into an EAR 834P with NOS Telefunken 12AX7s.  I play CDs 90% of the time, but when I get the time and inclination, I like to take a few hours to really enjoy vinyl.

cyounkman

« Reply #49 on: 4 Mar 2004, 11:40 pm »
Quote from: melville
I play CDs 90% of the time, but when I get the time and inclination, I like to take a few hours to really enjoy vinyl.

That was my listening arrangement too, until I sold my VPI a couple weeks ago.  :wink: What do you spin your redbook on?

mcrespo71

« Reply #50 on: 5 Mar 2004, 01:43 am »
So what did you do with your records, Chris?  

Michael

cyounkman

« Reply #51 on: 5 Mar 2004, 05:48 am »
They're still here... If I win the lottery I'm still buying a Simon Yorke (and a vacuum cleaner and someone to clean all my records with it).

mcrespo71

« Reply #52 on: 5 Mar 2004, 06:19 am »
I'd buy em off you if you didn't live in Toronto.  It's probably best that you keep em.  Your TT wasn't as top shelf as your CD player, so I'm not that surprised you sold it off.  Go get yourself a REAL VPI now! :wink:

Michael

YoungDave

turntable
« Reply #53 on: 20 Jul 2004, 02:09 pm »
VPI HRX, JMW 12.6 arm, Audio Tekne MC-6310 cart, Sutherland PhD phono stage, custom-sized Mapleshade rack, SME interconnects.  Nitty Gritty record cleaner.

Pretty nice sound - I like CD's, too, but a good record sounds really nice, and a turntable is such a neat machine...javascript:emoticon(':D')

melville

Redbook playback
« Reply #54 on: 22 Jul 2004, 09:13 pm »
Hi Chris:

I use a Pcx modded Sonic Frontiers CD-1.  I continue to be very impressed with this CD player.  For DVD-A and SACD, I have a Modwrighted Pioneer Elite 47Ai.  The Redbook CD reproduction of this unit does not compete with the SFCD-1, but it is pretty good (the mods were very extensive).

Brian

Roberto

« Reply #55 on: 23 Jul 2004, 03:19 am »
Turntable is the new VPI Scoutmaster with JMW-9 arm and Benz Ace cartridge with some fun gear in between leading up to a pair of De Capo-i.  The sound is heavenly.