The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #760 on: 31 Aug 2019, 12:42 am »
Nice man!  Glad you are digging the Super 7s so much, and welcome to the club :thumb:

One thing, the Super 7s are going to be more sensitive to the TV between them because they don't have the rear "wings" on the inside of the speakers.  You might consider getting rid of the TV and getting a projector instead.  It'll help with that 5% extra disappearing act for the speakers.  Think of it as a video upgrade and an acoustic upgrade at the same time :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #761 on: 31 Aug 2019, 02:41 am »
Alfonso, man, those  look     great, really  nice  job man.
I know   it  was a  bit of  wait  getting    everything   finalized  in this  kit but   so happy to see  your  results.    Would love it  you  threw up a couple of your  pics inthe   S7 flat pack thread   so guys can see  what they  can do with  some    hard  work.

Enjoy  your  speakakers    :thumb: :thumb:

jay

Early B.

« Reply #762 on: 31 Aug 2019, 04:14 am »
@AKLegal -- love the re-purposed crossover boxes. Perfect size and looks good, too.

AKLegal

« Reply #763 on: 31 Aug 2019, 05:54 pm »
You might consider getting rid of the TV and getting a projector instead.  It'll help with that 5% extra disappearing act for the speakers. 

My Panasonic plasma will leave my house only when it dies and no sooner. Lol.  I'll make any other compromises though.

AKLegal

« Reply #764 on: 1 Sep 2019, 08:16 pm »
Alfonso, man, those  look     great, really  nice  job man.
I know   it  was a  bit of  wait  getting    everything   finalized  in this  kit but   so happy to see  your  results.    Would love it  you  threw up a couple of your  pics inthe   S7 flat pack thread   so guys can see  what they  can do with  some    hard  work.

Enjoy  your  speakakers    :thumb: :thumb:

jay

Yeah, I'll try to take some better pics.  My camera phone is actually pretty good but taking pictures in my basement is really difficult.

Thanks for the flat pack and all of your help by the way.  Your hard work and planning made it very easy to put together.

Tyson

« Reply #765 on: 2 Sep 2019, 06:04 pm »
AKLegal, one other thing you might try is to move the speakers a bit wider and toe them in just slightly.  I find the best imaging/soundstage is with them fairly wide and toed in so that the plane of the inside panel of the speaker lines up with my eyes/ears.  Seems like a small change, but in my room, it changed the imaging from 'great' to 'cavernous'. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #766 on: 3 Sep 2019, 02:14 pm »
Tyson, you talked me into trying some Miflex caps to replace my Sonicap bypass caps on my X-overs. How long did yours take to burn in? I usually allow  min 200hr .

AKLegal

« Reply #767 on: 3 Sep 2019, 02:42 pm »
AKLegal, one other thing you might try is to move the speakers a bit wider and toe them in just slightly.  I find the best imaging/soundstage is with them fairly wide and toed in so that the plane of the inside panel of the speaker lines up with my eyes/ears.  Seems like a small change, but in my room, it changed the imaging from 'great' to 'cavernous'.

I'm now toying with some new speaker positions.  The Super 7s react to my room differently than any of my previous speakers so I have been surprised by how they have sounded in a few positions that I long ruled out.  The spot they occupy in the pictures are the default spot for any speakers in my room where they are guaranteed to sound very good - I then start tweaking from there. 

My crossovers are still breaking in but Jantzen superior or silver bypassed with MiFlex KPCU is amazing.  One of the reasons I decided to put the x-overs in a box instead of on the back of the speaker was for future upgrade purposes.  I don't think I will be changing anything out though.   

Tyson

« Reply #768 on: 3 Sep 2019, 05:39 pm »
Tyson, you talked me into trying some Miflex caps to replace my Sonicap bypass caps on my X-overs. How long did yours take to burn in? I usually allow  min 200hr .

200 hours gets you most of the way there, around 80%.  I'd estimate that 100% burn in occurs around 500 hours. 

Especially during the first 200 hours, the caps will alternate between sounding great, then sounding muffled, then sounding bright.  Eventually they will settle down to where they sound incredibly clear, with only a touch of warmth.  They end up being more detailed and less warm than the Jupiter caps.  Both caps are warm, but the Jupiters are definitely the warmer sounding cap. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #769 on: 3 Sep 2019, 07:49 pm »
I don't listen to any changes in my system till they has min 200 hrs. of burn in. As they are bypassing Jupiter caps maybe I'll get the best of both. 
:D

Thanks Tyson

mikeeastman

« Reply #770 on: 11 Sep 2019, 10:15 pm »
I have about 210 hrs on the caps and they sound great. More subtle detail and the separation is more distinct, with each instrument and voice in its very own space. My system was very engaging before and these caps took it up a couple of notches. I still hear a very slight edge on some female voices, but it’s fading fast.

Tyson, thank you for the recommendation, you were right about them.
 The only part of the X-over I’ve not up graded is the notch filter, Tyson have you up graded it? If so with what and what were your results”

Tyson

« Reply #771 on: 11 Sep 2019, 11:05 pm »
I have about 210 hrs on the caps and they sound great. More subtle detail and the separation is more distinct, with each instrument and voice in its very own space. My system was very engaging before and these caps took it up a couple of notches. I still hear a very slight edge on some female voices, but it’s fading fast.

Tyson, thank you for the recommendation, you were right about them.
 The only part of the X-over I’ve not up graded is the notch filter, Tyson have you up graded it? If so with what and what were your results”

Great!  I'm so happy the new caps worked out for you.  The thing about the Super 7s, they let you hear EVERYTHING, and after a certain point, even small, incremental changes matter.  Like with caps :) 

I have upgraded my notch filter and my resistor both.  The Mills Supreme I replaced with an AudioPath copper resistor.  And the notch filter caps I replaced the 56uf Erse with a pair of 27uf Clarity Caps in parallel, and then bypassed those 2 caps with a MiFlex Copper 0.1uf. 

And it's just like you stated.  Everything is already great, and making these changes just takes it up another few notches. 

I just spent 3 days at RMAF with some of the very best speaker systems in the world.  And a lot of them were very well set up this year (unlike previous years!).  I come home and honestly nothing at the show even matches the maxed out Super 7s, let alone beats them. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #772 on: 12 Sep 2019, 12:41 am »
I have sonicaps with sonicap bypass cap on the filter. Do you think the Clarity caps would be an upgrade? I think I’ll try the MiFlex bypass and AudioPath resistors at the very least. Did you change the coil?

Tyson

« Reply #773 on: 12 Sep 2019, 03:02 am »
I have sonicaps with sonicap bypass cap on the filter. Do you think the Clarity caps would be an upgrade? I think I’ll try the MiFlex bypass and AudioPath resistors at the very least. Did you change the coil?

I find Sonicaps and Clarity Caps relatively similar in quality.  At least till you get to the MR level of Clarity Caps.  I'm using the Clarity Cap ESA in place of the Erse cap.  The ESA is about Sonicap level. 

Coils, I'm a big fan of the Jantzen wax/paper/foil inductors.  Parts Express has them, but when I ordered mine there was a bit of a wait because they weren't in stock and had to be ordered from the manufacturer. 

I've tried other foil inductors in the past (Mundorf), but I didn't find the Mundorf to be much of an improvement over the stock coils.  However, I find the Jantzen wax/paper/foil to be quite a bit better than the stock inductors and the Mundorfs. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #774 on: 12 Sep 2019, 03:54 am »
I’m using the Alpha Core coils and found them to be nice.  Where did you get the AudioPath resistors and what are their values.

Tyson

« Reply #775 on: 12 Sep 2019, 04:21 am »
I’m using the Alpha Core coils and found them to be nice.  Where did you get the AudioPath resistors and what are their values.

Alpha cores are nice too.  In truth, inductors make less of a difference than capacitors.  I just like the Jantzens because they had a different tone than the other inductors I'd tried.  But, I should point out that not everyone agrees with me re: the sound of the Jantzens so that that into account ;)

I got the name of the resistor wrong.  It's Path Audio, not Audio Path.  You need the 8 ohm version, here - https://www.partsconnexion.com/PATH-77847.html

Captainhemo

« Reply #776 on: 12 Sep 2019, 08:17 pm »
We've been  using the  Gortz Alpha  Core inductors inmost of our  buuilds.
About  a year or so ago,   i did some back to back comparisons between the   Gortz and a  Jantzen of exactly the same value/gauge.  All I did   was switch the inductor  each  time,  nothing else   so  it was   obviously  the iductor causing any sonic change   if there  were  any.....   I could not  detect  any.

Both inductors had  a couple hundred hours or so onthem before  the   back and forth comparisons.   It was not just once swap either, numerous swaps were made.

I am not  knocking the  Jantzen's in any way,  I'm  just  noting that  I could not   notice  any difference when all that  was subbed out  was the inductor.

Note,  these comparison's were not  done on the  Super 7's but  rather  a pair of the  NX-Otica MTm's

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #777 on: 12 Sep 2019, 09:46 pm »
I also have three or four other customers that I have told me that they made those same A/B comparisons and did not like the Jantzens inductors at all.

I am pretty sure there is a lot of variance in the purity of the Copper from batch to batch. Some are good and some are bad.

The company that recently made the Copper Caps are working on a wax paper based inductor using high quality Copper. I look forward to checking them out.

Tyson

« Reply #778 on: 12 Sep 2019, 09:48 pm »
I also have three or four other customers that I have told me that they made those same A/B comparisons and did not like the Jantzens inductors at all.

I am pretty sure there is a lot of variance in the purity of the Copper from batch to batch. Some are good and some are bad.

The company that recently made the Copper Caps are working on a wax paper based inductor using high quality Copper. I look forward to checking them out.

If it works out, I am very interested in getting some.

Danny Richie

« Reply #779 on: 12 Sep 2019, 09:57 pm »
If it works out, I am very interested in getting some.

Me too. I am awaiting samples.