A New Look For The RM-V60

Housteau

A New Look For The RM-V60
« on: 8 Jul 2009, 05:19 am »

Before I had the modified DCX I was happy with the analog crossovers and found that the best sound in my room was with the waveguides off.  My room is built around a single listening position which benefitted from the more direct sound.  Then, with the DCX came the ability to add in the correction factor for keeping the waveguides on without loosing what I had previously enjoyed with them off.  I had used the V60s this way for quite a while without the slightest hint that I had been missing something.  Being a bit isolated from others in this hobby didn't help, and it often takes hearing another system to realize that something may not be quite right.

Since I had been working on tightening up a perceived bloat in the mid bass response after listening to a friends system and also noticing some higher frequency issues as well, I went ahead and started playing with the waveguides off once again.  John Casler had written in several posts that he also listens with them off for the same reasons I had done it originally.  However, I told him that with the correction factor programmed into the DCX I felt that removing them was not necessary anymore.  Well, now I am not so sure of that.

I am hearing more immediate information and impact from leading transients that now seem muffled a bit with the waveguides back on.  Can the DCX correct for this as well?  There is a good chance, but that will take some time experimenting.  Right now I like the idea of not modifying the signal if I do not have to.  I didn't like the look of the V60s without the waveguides next to the VLAs with their nice rounded grill covers, so I put together a matching cover for the V60s.  I think they look pretty nice like this.  However, the look with the waveguides on is stunning, no doubt.  But, I am ashamed to say that not liking what they looked like without a cover did influence and delay my working with them that way.  Now I can have both good looks and the performance I want no matter which way I finally end up.

With the higher frequencies back on track I found that my perceived mid bass bloat to be fully under control.  In fact I no longer need to use that bass cut I had programmed into the DCX.  Correcting my problem from my source (turned out not to be so much my Monarchy DAC, but more the Upsampler in the chain in front of it), placing the V60s on Tip Toes, and and removing the waveguides has placed everything in good balance.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2009, 08:27 pm by Housteau »

John Casler

Re: A New Look For The RM-V60
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:53 am »

Before I had the modified DCX I was happy with the analog crossovers and found that the best sound in my room was with the waveguides off.  My room is built around a single listening position which benefitted from the more direct sound.  Then, with the DCX came the ability to add in the correction factor for keeping the waveguides on without loosing what I had previously enjoyed with them off.  I had used the V60s this way for quite a while without the slightest hint that I had been missing something.  Being a bit isolated from others in this hobby didn't help, and it often takes hearing another system to realize that someing may not be quite right.

Since I had been working on tightening up a perceived bloat in the mid bass response after listening to a friends system and also noticing some higher frequency issues as well, I went ahead and starting playing with the waveguides off once again.  John Casler had written in several posts that he also listens with them off for the same reasons I had done it originally.  However, I told him that with the correction factor programmed into the DCX I felt that removing them was not necessary anymore.  Well, now I am not so sure of that.

I am hearing more immediate information and impact from leading transients that now seem muffled a bit with the waveguides back on.  Can the DCX correct for this as well?  There is a good chance, but that will take some time experimenting.  Right now I like the idea of not modifying the signal if I do not have to.  I didn't like the look of the V60s without the waveguides next to the VLAs with their nice rounded grill covers, so I put together a matching cover for the V60s.  I think they look pretty nice like this.  However, the look with the waveguides on is stunning, no doubt.  But, I am ashamed to say that not liking what they looked like without a cover did influence and delay my working with them that way.  Now I can have both good looks and the performance I want no matter which way I finally end up.

With the higher frequencies back on track I found that my perceived mid bass bloat to be fully under control.  In fact I no longer need to use that bass cut I had programmed into the DCX.  Correcting my problem from my source (turned out not to be so much my Monarchy DAC, but more the Upsampler in the chain in front of it), placing the V60s on Tip Toes, and and removing the waveguides has placed everything in good balance.

:drool: :drool:  Looking Good!!

You are very creative.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2009, 07:52 pm »
Dave,

Have placed your "new look" in the VMPS Gallery section right above your CDWG look.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=41748.msg372131#msg372131

Brax

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2009, 02:37 pm »
John,

In the gallery, there is a set of RM40s with aftermarket ribbon tweeters. It's the picture with the white leather loveseat. Do you know who's speakers those are?

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2009, 05:13 pm »
John,

In the gallery, there is a set of RM40s with aftermarket ribbon tweeters. It's the picture with the white leather loveseat. Do you know who's speakers those are?

This ONE?

It was so long ago, I do not remember the owner, :scratch: but maybe he'll see this and respond.

Brax

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2009, 11:05 am »
Yes, that's the one. I was interested in which ribbon tweeters the owner used. These are a square plate version which look like they would be an easy replacement for the spirals. I would also like to get his feedback on the sound with duel ribbon tweeters.

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2009, 03:54 am »
Rather than duel ribbon why don't you try this:

JP2.0

One driver will not have the beaming/cancelation problems that two tweeters would have. And less messing around with all the extra wiring. I don't know if they are similar enough to just swap and work with the crossover, but I believe they are made by the same company that makes the FST, but it's the model step up (same tweeter as the V60 if I'm not mistaken)

I've been contemplating it myself because I have a pair of 40s that had the old spiral ribbon and now have been replaced with the FST so I have space above and below the tweeter to fit this in.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2009, 04:02 am »
Yes, that's the one. I was interested in which ribbon tweeters the owner used. These are a square plate version which look like they would be an easy replacement for the spirals. I would also like to get his feedback on the sound with duel ribbon tweeters.

Only Brian can answer that question as he advised the owner on how to mount the pair.  I am not sure if those are the rectangular versions, or if the face plate that fits over them makes it look that way.

B, could probably answer that.

tbrooke

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2009, 11:54 am »
Housteau

How did you make the New Grill Covers? I want to do the same thing for my RM30.
Brian - Are there any available from VMPS?
What about the  plastic clips that hold on the CDWG can I get clips and make my own?

Tom

Housteau

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2009, 02:01 am »
On the V60 the CDWG space is a cavity.  So, I just made wooden frames out of the smallest profile wood that had strength I could find.  That was some 1/4 round moulding.  I then stretched some grill cloth over them and popped them in.     

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2009, 02:05 am »
Housteau

How did you make the New Grill Covers? I want to do the same thing for my RM30.
Brian - Are there any available from VMPS?
What about the  plastic clips that hold on the CDWG can I get clips and make my own?

Tom

Parts Express sells the grill fasteners, as well as grill cloth.