Dynaudio special Heritage with Bryston

bunkertoy

Dynaudio special Heritage with Bryston
« on: 13 Mar 2023, 08:24 pm »
Hi everyone,
Any Dynaudio Special heritage owners ?

I own a Bryston 3B cubed and I'm getting the bug to upgrade my speakers. I recently added a tube pre amp(VTL 2.5). So I have the nice mix of solid state with tubes.

I've heard the Special Heritage needs lots of current, I'm assuming the Bryston is more than enough, but would love to hear the experience of others driving Dynaudio with a Bryston. good match ? anything I need to know driving a 4ohm speakers ? My room is only 12' X 14'.

I know this is more a speaker question, but wanted to here from past and present Bryston owners. This is a big jump up the speaker chain from my Totem signature one.
Thanks for any input you can provide.
Cheers

bunkertoy

Re: Dynaudio special Heritage with Bryston
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2023, 08:47 pm »
Never mind on the 4 ohms question, I just read a detailed thread about power with 8ohms & 4ohms
Cheers

Meaning of 300W@8ohms and 500W@4ohms on 4BSST

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2023, 08:50 pm »
Hi,

After many trials, I have paired the Heritage Special with a B135 cubed (which is a 2.5 cubed amplifier). Like you, my listening room is small (10x12). Very rarely, the volume exceed 50%. For me, the combination is perfect.

Francois

rob80b

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2023, 07:58 pm »
I've been pairing Dynaudio with Bryston for quite awhile and IMHO the Brystons keep the Dyns under control while delivery wonderful dynamics and clarity at any level.
My Dynaudio Special 25s, the Heritage's bigger older brother are powered with the previous 3BSST2, previously had a the 4BSST but the 3B holds its own.

bunkertoy

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2023, 09:06 pm »
I've been pairing Dynaudio with Bryston for quite awhile and IMHO the Brystons keep the Dyns under control while delivery wonderful dynamics and clarity at any level.
My Dynaudio Special 25s, the Heritage's bigger older brother are powered with the previous 3BSST2, previously had a the 4BSST but the 3B holds its own.

Great to hear Rob, I believe the 3BSST2 is only around 2X150 per channel compared to 3B3 @ 2X200. I had a feeling Bryston amps have never had trouble driving speakers. Thanks for the intel. Now to get the scratch for a pair of Special heritage. :)

R. Daneel

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2023, 12:50 pm »
Bryston and Dynaudio make for a superb match. If you like the sound of Dynaudio, Bryston will only build on the strengths of the speaker. The 3B will be more than adequate, no worries.
Cheers,
Antun

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2023, 01:38 pm »
Hi bunkertoy, lil' bit off topic.I have paired my Bryston combo; 4B³, BP-17³, BCD-3 with Dynaudio Excite X44 series and it's a wonderful match, when it comes to sound.Both brands are amazing together.

bunkertoy

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2023, 11:08 pm »
Makes it much easier to pull the trigger on the speakers knowing this. Going to try and set up a listening session. Think my system will feel complete after this speaker upgrade.
I could have never dreamt that my stereo would already reach this amazing level of hifi.
I'm blessed. :)

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2023, 12:40 am »
Makes it much easier to pull the trigger on the speakers knowing this. Going to try and set up a listening session. Think my system will feel complete after this speaker upgrade.
I could have never dreamt that my stereo would already reach this amazing level of hifi.
I'm blessed. :)

I fully understand your happiness.I bought my Bryston gear lil' bit over a year ago and I'm still in love with it.I guess, we both can be 59 year old and act like a young kids, being happy with their toys. :lol:

EvanMcC

• Bryston, Dynaudio & Torus
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2023, 08:01 pm »
Late to this thread, but I have had a variety of Dynaudio & Bryston pairings over 25 years.

Current setup is Dynaudio Contour S5.4 (large towers) with 4BSST2 and BR20. Previously 3BSST2 and BP25/BDA2/BDP1 with same speakers.

In the past ran Dynaudio's Audience range (72 and 82 models) with first-get 3B, 4BSST.

All were great, but higher you go, better it sounds - of course.

But all in all, a great pairing, but be careful not to get an over-energized sound. You should be good with your 3B3 and tube pre - I'd love to hear that system in fact!

bunkertoy

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2023, 03:22 pm »
Late to this thread, but I have had a variety of Dynaudio & Bryston pairings over 25 years.

Current setup is Dynaudio Contour S5.4 (large towers) with 4BSST2 and BR20. Previously 3BSST2 and BP25/BDA2/BDP1 with same speakers.

In the past ran Dynaudio's Audience range (72 and 82 models) with first-get 3B, 4BSST.

All were great, but higher you go, better it sounds - of course.

But all in all, a great pairing, but be careful not to get an over-energized sound. You should be good with your 3B3 and tube pre - I'd love to hear that system in fact!

Hi EvenMcC,

I actually went in a different direction with my speaker choice. I purchased Revival Audio Atalante 3's. They are listed at 4ohms, but I think specs indicate closer to nominal 6ohms. They also need decent current. These speakers sound amazing. Brand new speaker company.
Substantially lower price compared to the Dynaudio Heritage.
Heritage special is still on my list of great speakers, which I want to audition in my system.
Btw, Bryston 3B3 has no problem driving them.

Alphonse

« Reply #11 on: 9 Sep 2023, 04:26 pm »
I have also had great experience with Bryston Dynaudio combos. Starting in 2000 with a pair of Dynaudio Confidence 5s with Bryston 4BST amp and BP25 preamp. In 2005 I bought a pair of PP300SST mono amps. The Confidence 5s are sealed boxes with compound loaded woofers and are rated at 83db. Not easy to drive. I was at an audio show with Dynaudio as presenters and when I told the rep I had Confidence 5s he asked what amps I was using, I told him PP300SST monos and he said that should be a good combo. To my ears the Dynaudios with Bryston low noise neutrality have clean well balanced sound with excellent midrange tonality. In early 2021 I bought a used 2013 Bryston SP3, a third PP300SST amp and a Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker for a 3.0 system. I am really impressed with 3.0 for movies and music. Cheers!

Joe Frances

« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2023, 09:38 pm »

I actually went in a different direction with my speaker choice. I purchased Revival Audio Atalante 3's. They are listed at 4ohms, but I think specs indicate closer to nominal 6ohms. They also need decent current. These speakers sound amazing. Brand new speaker company.
Heritage special is still on my list of great speakers, which I want to audition in my system.
[/quote]

I have been debating the Atalante 3s also; but I was under the impression that they were fine with moderate power. The website days 30-150 watts, I believe. Therefore, I though of matching them with my 60 watt B-60 which I still love a lot.  I was very seriously thinking about the Heritage Special but I wasn't willing to go for a 100-150+ watt amp to make them sing properly.  The Revival Atalantes have some Dynaudio in their own heritage, and the speakers look amazing.

bunkertoy

« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2023, 02:18 pm »

I have been debating the Atalante 3s also; but I was under the impression that they were fine with moderate power. The website days 30-150 watts, I believe. Therefore, I though of matching them with my 60 watt B-60 which I still love a lot.  I was very seriously thinking about the Heritage Special but I wasn't willing to go for a 100-150+ watt amp to make them sing properly.  The Revival Atalantes have some Dynaudio in their own heritage, and the speakers look amazing.

The reason I think they required more current was because of the specs being 87db sensitivity and 4ohm nominal impedance.
After owning the Atalante 3 for one month, my Bryston 3B3 is making them sing very nicely.
I feel like I now have my 4ever 2 channel setup. Upgrades are off the table(I hope)
System:
Bryston 3B Cubed - Amp
VTL 2.5 - Tube preamp
Bel Canto - DAC(Reference upgrade)
Revival Audio Atalante 3 - Speakers
Logitech Transporter - Streamer(Might need to be replaced)