My First Topic-What to Do

1oldguy

My First Topic-What to Do
« on: 22 Jun 2009, 01:35 am »
Well as I mentioned in a previous post was that soon I will be moving.What I didn't mention is that this move really came out of the blue and had no other option.Nuff said about that part.

SO at the end of the story Is that I really won't have the Room for 5.1.Nor is the situation going to be much better for a long time.At least a year.
I have a full set of B&W 800 series speakers as well as 5 of the Bryston amps along with the Bryston BCD Player.
Been thinking that as much as I don't want to,I may end up just doing 2 channel audio.Which would mean selling gear of which even I haven't even heard yet and some of which I haven't even seen such as my Bryston amps.I only wish that if this unexpected move at come sooner I would have bought a pair of 28B and saved myself much hardship.But such is life.If I do indeed go with 2 channel audio I have 3 7B's SQ that I would have to sell that are not even opened yet.
Then there is the 803D's and HtM2D with  matching stand and AWS8555 Sub that would have to go.I would keep the 802D's.
I've invested 4 years work to get this far.To say I have a case of bad luck is really an understatement.
Anyone interested in my gear are of course welcome to ask away.

Mag

Re: My First Topic-What to Do
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2009, 05:35 am »
Before you sell your stuff, consider a multi-channel stereo setup. You can see my setup in the Gallery or Home theater, MC circle.

I've been contemplating getting either a 3B or 4B sst/2. A 7B 2 is more than I need or can afford. So not sure I can help you out.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2009, 07:20 am »
That's a tough one. I suppose you could sell your extra equipment. I mean everything is like brand new, correct?

Mad Mr H

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2009, 09:53 am »
Hi,

Without wanting to go into your personal life.....

I will assume that you are moving to a smaller location, BUT that you have bought and CAN afford all the kit....

So here is what I would do.

KEEP IT ALL....Run a stereo system to fit the space.

Use the 802D as main stereo pair. Bi Amp them - That uses four of your 7B's.

Then......

Use B&W centre with one 7B If you can fit it in, that leaves the 803D's to store for another day, or connect to a TV/Radio in another room ???

For films the center ch is the most important in my opinion,

This will give you amazing stereo and film use.

IF you need to realise some capital back then sell the B&W center and rears, run a pair of 7B on the 802. Sell the other 3 7B SST2

PS - I know a good home for 7B SST 2    :drool: :drool: :drool:

Hope you find that of help, Andy.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:05 am »
PS - I just checked out the B&W800 series brochure......

64 pages long.

PLEASE check out page 24............B&W DM70 continentals....The start of B&W......I have 2 pairs of em  :D . One very rare built for $ony pair.

Put a smile on my face, THANK YOU.

Andy.

1oldguy

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:47 am »
HI

Yes all gear is new......So new in fact it hasn't been hooked up once.
All the gear I have is paid for in full.As for what I can afford, all that's left for me to buy is a preamplifier,or course I can only buy 1 and that either has to be  strictly 2 Channel or the SP3.I guess If I keep the gear the sp3 would serve the purpose of not having to buy a pre in the future.BUT......I am open to ideas here as well. 

Also being new to all this, I was unaware I could use my center for  strictly music.Have any tried that here,what were the results,Benefits,observations?

I Do like the idea of having more than 1 system.At least I could keep my shirt as they say.Really hate the idea of losing money on gear I haven't even used to be honest.

The Idea of using (2) 7B's on a 802 sounds interesting.Has anyone here used BY-Amped  with a couple of 7".Impressions,observations?

Thanks for your help thus far.The last thing I want to do is rush into and make a rash decision so your help is really helpful.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2009, 06:33 pm »
My PMC MB2 speakers are about to become bi amped with 7B SST's

My current stereo is Tri Amped, That really is overkill as Bi Amp would be fine.

DONT worry about the power being too much - Thats the wrong consderation.

For domestic use you will never run your speakers that hard......

The beauty of the 7 (14,28) is the amount of reserve power available.

These high power amps also have a much quicker transient response (my opinion) and so the leading edge of each note is better reproduced, this can be heard as increased detail in the audio image.

For music I always find stereo is the best option - As that is how it was recorded

There are 5ch audio recordings from SACD and HD DVD and Blu Ray (I never tried DVDA).

The reason to KEEP the center is that if you watch a FILM the dialogue is mainly in the center ch.

As you own this kit you can try and see what you think...........I will ONLY tell you about things I have tried and so have first hand info........

I would think with the future digital sources that the SP3 would suit you more than the BP26..........

IF you decide to run ONLY stereo then the BP26 is better suited.

Hope thats of help

Andy.

1oldguy

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2009, 07:46 pm »
Thanks for the Reply

As for DVD audio and SACD it's not something that's big on my list simply because of funds.Those disks cost a small fortune compared to regular CD's.Plus they would have to all be ordered here where I live add to that the poor selection of titles and it just seems like a frustration.On top of the fact that I just bought the Bryston CD player becasue I really do like plain 2 channel audio.I do admit I am interested in using a center though to  see how that works for regular CD's.I assume this is possible?Maybe someone could explain how to go about using a center with regular CD's.

Wondering if anyone has used there regular 2 Channel audio system for their T.V,and with what results positive or negative.

As a side note I just jot back from my dealer.I used a portion of credit and bought the Pioneer 09Fd that had been on order for quite some time.My impression was it is the player to won.It made even  a mid priced T.V look really good.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2009, 08:08 pm »
Hi,

My Tri amp system is used EVERY DAY as my main TV speakers.....

I am in the UK, so "normal" digital TV from aerial.

I run digital coaxial from the TV channel selection box (BT Vision UK) into a DAC and then onto the speakers.....

NORMAL 2ch music played on front left,center,right is not that good........

The center is "made up" from the L&R, And for me does not work well......

Stick with true Stereo, Use the center if you are watching a film.

Thats just my take on it all.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2009, 08:08 pm »
Hi,

I have a 5.1 system using a Rotel surround sound receiver as preamp, which is how I am able to add a center speaker to the mix if I want.

For 2-channel stereo music, I find that I prefer standard stereo playback with only the left and right front speakers.  When I enable the center channel, I find it takes away from the soundstage and overall presentation.

For stereo TV, I prefer to use the center speaker as it anchors the dialogue to the screen.  If I am sitting dead center, the difference is not great.  But for anyone sitting on either end of the couch (or further), the dialogue appears not to come from the center.

Obviously for Dolby Digital or DTS movies/TV, I use the 5.1 setup, as the sound was recorded and mixed for these formats, and sounds natural.

I don't have any multi-channel SACD or DVD-A, so I can't comment on multi-channel music.  But for regular stereo music, all other modes other than 2 channel stereo sounds unnatural to me.

1oldguy

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2009, 08:42 pm »
Again I thank you for your feedback.
I will stick with 2 Channel for my audio purposes.Thanks Guys.

The T.V I had ....and Returned, had the best sound bar non I have ever heard in a T.V.But because of eye strain it had to go back.One other Family member also experienced eye strain.The T.V that I saw today however was good but the sound was terrible so I will have to use my speakers with any T.V other than what I just returned.
May seem like a silly question but I take it when it comes to Movies  I will need at least a 5.1 preamp to have the ability to use my center during a movie?I just need a little advice here as to options regarding  a center channel.
As for strict T.V or cable I am not concerned so much as I am much more Music/Movie oriented.I watch little T.V.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2009, 09:10 pm »
A 5.1 preamp or surround processor will be your best solution.  There might be other schemes to get a left +  right summed mono signal for the center, but that's not what Dolby Digital & DTS offer.  The center channel is a discrete channel.

My (and your) concern, though, is getting a unit that is the sonic quality of your other exceptional gear, particularly for your 2 channel music.

If you can't budget a top of the line surround processor (like the Bryston SP series or equivalent) and don't mind an extra box, you could also consider a nice 2 channel preamp with a Home Theatre pass through input in conjunction with a less expensive surround processor or reciever with pre-outs.

1oldguy

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2009, 09:16 pm »
Wondering if Brystons own BP26 have the necessary,"Home Theater pass through input in conjunction with a less expensive surround processor or receiver with pre-outs" required to do as your talking about.?

srb

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2009, 09:31 pm »
Unfortunately, the BP26 appears to not have the HT bypass input, although the BP16 does.

1oldguy

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:04 pm »
I Take it the BP16 is no where near what the BP26 is in regard to 2 channel audio?

srb

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:13 pm »
No experience with either, but probably not.  The BP26 is Bryston's statement preamp with separate power supply and I would imagine even more refined circuitry.  I am also guessing that the BP26 is an older design than the BP16, which would explain the lack of the input.

To James, Bryston and EVERY other manufacturer of preamps and integrated amplifiers:

The HT bypass input is a must-have feature in this day and age.  Most 2 channel enthusiasts are also interested in multi-channel movie sound to some degree.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:14 pm »
I Take it the BP16 is no where near what the BP26 is in regard to 2 channel audio?

This question comes up a lot and the answer is that ALL the Bryston preamps have the same 'gain' stage so it becomes a choice of 'features' required not 'performance'. It is not a 'better-best' choice.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:20 pm »
Well things are becoming clearer as to my options which is great.Though now I now that I would want HT Bypass as well given the choice.

Curious as to the pricing for the BP 16 and the BP26 in Canadian funds if possible?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:24 pm »
BP-26 Preamplifier $2,495.00
MPS-2 Power Supply Power Supply $1,400.00
Total- $3,895.00

BP-16 Preamplifier $2,995.00

BP-6 Preamplifier $1,995.00

1oldguy