ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Marco Prozzo

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1040 on: 17 Mar 2009, 03:25 am »
The standard Mullard GZ37 and the High Wycombe are both "coke bottle" tubes but the latter are significantly fatter; as can be seen on the above quoted website (http://www.mullardtubes.com/Mullard-GZ-37_Fat-Glass_GZ37/?ID=0&ProductID=155) and also - perhaps more clearly - on this site: www.tubeworld.com (go to rectifiers, then GZ37/CV378). They do show up on Ebay and there are two or three available there now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/53KU-GZ37-COSSOR-VALVE-TUBE-BULBOUS-ENVELOPE_W0QQitemZ200282334223QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item200282334223&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

http://cgi.ebay.com/1Pcs-NOS-CV378-GZ37-5u4g-GZ34-Big-Bottle_W0QQitemZ300300538966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item300300538966&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Some of the pieces are labelled "Haltron" or "Cossor" while some have no brand name on them - none are labelled "High Wycombe" as this was the place of manufacture, as Ted stated.

It is definitely better than the standard GZ37 (which is a nice tube though).

TA, very much, Rob!

rydenfan

« Reply #1041 on: 17 Mar 2009, 12:58 pm »
Marco, I have an extra pair of DR's. Just shoot me a PM if you want a deal on them.

rydenfan

« Reply #1042 on: 17 Mar 2009, 12:59 pm »
Rob is the authority on the GZ37's. I still thank him for mine  :thumb:

rpf

« Reply #1043 on: 17 Mar 2009, 01:47 pm »

Hi Rob:

I am curious to know if you have the Platinum level of mods in your Transporter? 

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

Don't have a Transporter yet, just the 36.5. Post here because it's the place to be!  :lol:

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1044 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:58 pm »
Marco, I have an extra pair of DR's. Just shoot me a PM if you want a deal on them.

P.M. sent. Thanks!

jwes

« Reply #1045 on: 18 Mar 2009, 02:10 am »
First day with the TS Rounds...   :angel:

Yes I'm floating up there - more to come, but you've read it already from so many others.  What I've been looking for is essentially an emotional response (which is by definition relevant to me, and so specific qualities of this would be different for everyone).  These are really getting me close - sort of feels like strumming strings inside my chest.  And this was just from my wife's personalized radio station on Pandora (128k stream)!  Just amazing.  And I have to say that it does not suck to have September 1942 Navy equipment playing music.  Quite nostalgic.

Oh by the way, I have a pair of recently NOS DR's available.   :green:

rpf

« Reply #1046 on: 18 Mar 2009, 04:28 pm »
Rob is the authority on the GZ37's. I still thank him for mine  :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words David. I'll be sending you a PM later.

Bigfish

« Reply #1047 on: 19 Mar 2009, 01:13 am »
Ted:

I also have the correct pair of Russian 6H8C's coming, but plan on using them only if my system changes elsewhere.

Did you ever receive the Russian 6H8C's with the round holes?  If so have you had the chance to listen to them in the Transporter?  Comments?

Thanks,

Ken

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1048 on: 19 Mar 2009, 01:23 am »
Ken,
Yes I did.  I posted on a couple of PM's, and your post made me realize I never posted here.  :duh:

The Russian 6H8C's with the 5 round vertical holes are quite good if your system tends to sound too tubey or too warm.  As I posted about the earlier ones, these are almost identical (i.e great detail, very 6N1P-like, very dynamic) and even cleaner (less grain) than the rectangular holed versions.  They are clearly at one end of the sound spectrum, but still very very good at what they do.  I would put them at or near the top of my list if I were to have a very euphonic, tube-rich signal path (say, tube pre AND power amp, or one of the two that are very warm and lush).  This set of signal tubes would kick ass in a signal path like that. 

P.S  I'm not using them or their cousins currently so anybody that wants to borrow them just PM me.  My TS round plates are not going anywhere.  :)

Bigfish

« Reply #1049 on: 19 Mar 2009, 02:15 am »
Ken,
Yes I did.  I posted on a couple of PM's, and your post made me realize I never posted here.  :duh:

The Russian 6H8C's with the 5 round vertical holes are quite good if your system tends to sound too tubey or too warm.  As I posted about the earlier ones, these are almost identical (i.e great detail, very 6N1P-like, very dynamic) and even cleaner (less grain) than the rectangular holed versions.  They are clearly at one end of the sound spectrum, but still very very good at what they do.  I would put them at or near the top of my list if I were to have a very euphonic, tube-rich signal path (say, tube pre AND power amp, or one of the two that are very warm and lush).  This set of signal tubes would kick ass in a signal path like that. 

P.S  I'm not using them or their cousins currently so anybody that wants to borrow them just PM me.  My TS round plates are not going anywhere.  :)

Ted:

Thank you for the review of the Russian 6H8C's.  I actually purchased a pair from a dealer located in Russia off of ebay and they are the ones with the rectangle holes.  Earlier tonight I was talking with Phil and described the 6H8C's as sounding like I remembered Telefunken 12AU7's sounding in my previous preamp.  I described them as sterile or lean sounding.  I have tried them in the Transporter and in my preamp and in both I hear the leaner (as you describe it less tubey warmth) sound.  Currently, I have the RCA VT's in the Pre and Tung-Sol Round Plates along with the EML Rectifier in the Transporter.  I may eventually do some more tube rolling but I am really enjoying the music this combination of tubes is making from my system.

I am happy to read your review of the 6H8C's describes what I feel I heard from them in my system. (I wish I had your capability to better describe the sound characteristics). 

Ken

Philistine

« Reply #1050 on: 19 Mar 2009, 02:30 am »
Ted, as the resident 6N1P lover I'm interested in trying out the 6H8C's.
I tried living without my EML but just didn't enjoy the other rectifiers as much, so my TP got shipped to Amboy this week.  Consequently I'm out of action for a couple of weeks, if you get other interest let them have first option on a demo.

Phil

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #1051 on: 19 Mar 2009, 02:37 am »
Will do.  Got your PM.  Lemme know when the TP is on its way back.
Ted

tdangelo

« Reply #1052 on: 19 Mar 2009, 03:25 am »
Ken,

Ted:

Thank you for the review of the Russian 6H8C's.  I actually purchased a pair from a dealer located in Russia off of ebay and they are the ones with the rectangle holes.  Earlier tonight I was talking with Phil and described the 6H8C's as sounding like I remembered Telefunken 12AU7's sounding in my previous preamp.  I described them as sterile or lean sounding.  I have tried them in the Transporter and in my preamp and in both I hear the leaner (as you describe it less tubey warmth) sound.  Currently, I have the RCA VT's in the Pre and Tung-Sol Round Plates along with the EML Rectifier in the Transporter.  I may eventually do some more tube rolling but I am really enjoying the music this combination of tubes is making from my system.

I am happy to read your review of the 6H8C's describes what I feel I heard from them in my system. (I wish I had your capability to better describe the sound characteristics). 

Ken

I bought a pair of 6H8C's from Tyroo http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64843.0 and am enjoying them very much.  Mine have 2 rectangular holes.  I've been using them with Wayne's adapters and a Mullard GZ37.  My previous tubes of choice were the RCA cleartops.  I think the 6H8C's are quite a bit more holographic sounding and a bit clearer and faster sounding - not lean or sterile in my system.  I have also used the EML tube and like it matched with the Russian 6N6P's.  I had to pull the EML since my TP isn't the current mod.  I'll get that done someday.  I didn't like the 6H8C's right off the bat but with about 75 hrs on them they will be staying for awhile ;) 

Tony

orientalexpress

« Reply #1053 on: 19 Mar 2009, 05:54 pm »
i like to thanks this groups for tubes rolling,u guys save me alot of money from sharing  your experience . :thumb:

lapsan

jwes

« Reply #1054 on: 20 Mar 2009, 02:55 pm »
Hi all -

Just curious: in looking at the TS round plate 6SN7's, does anyone know if there's appreciable difference between the actually very round mica plate vs. the oval (assuming  both are CTL 6SN7GT)?  I think both are referred to as "round" plate, but not sure if there's any difference...

Jim

JG2

« Reply #1055 on: 20 Mar 2009, 04:18 pm »
Hi Jim,

I posed this question regarding mica shape, not plate shape, in another forum 2-3 weeks ago. I also asked about the copper vs steel (?) support rods. Most didn't have an opinion or thought there was little or no difference. One guy, 'Len' who was referred to as 'Dr. 6SN7' had heard hundreds of round plate TS and had not been able to detect any audible difference. One post did feel the round mica had more energy or were a bit more forward.

I bought the oval mica's although the round are supposed to be the earliest and less common version.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/21/217249.html

Good luck!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #1056 on: 20 Mar 2009, 04:29 pm »
I ping'd Brent Jesse.  Here's his response:

I am a bit on thin ice here since these tubes are so rare I have not seen that many of them.  The characteristic they all share are the distinctive plates inside the tube.  These are the twin black structures you can just see the top of above the black band on the glass.  When they are called “round plate” or “oval plate” the name references the two black plates that run up and down between the top and bottom mica.  The oval or round name does NOT refer to the mica spacer at the top or bottom.  The black plates of these tubes are actually a cylinder or a flattened cylinder and there are two of them spaced apart.  The top mica may be round or it may be oval, I know they did make some minor design changes during the production of this tube.  The black plates inside are always the same, however.  The sound quality of all of these, regardless of mica spacer shape, is superb.  They made a “civilian” version of this tube that looked the same, but did not have the CTL or JAN markings on the label.

Keep an eye open for this tube made by Tung Sol for other brands.  I have had National Union in stock, and it was the same Tung Sol oval plate with black glass, and the label on the base was even in the silver ink.  Sometimes you can find these for a song since they don’t have the Tung Sol name on them! 

Best Regards,

Brent Jessee

jwes

« Reply #1057 on: 20 Mar 2009, 04:58 pm »
Ted and JG2,

Thanks for the help.  Just to add another perspective, I heard from another guy that he felt the round mica was a bit more pronounced in the lows and the oval excelled a bit more in the mid to highs.  Maybe we're just into crazy hair splitting at this point :roll:.

But Ted, that's great advice by Brent about what defines the characteristics (not the mica shape), and even more that TS made tubes for other mfgs!  I have the very round mica and think I'll get a pair of oval for backup and will report back!

Jim

JG2

« Reply #1058 on: 20 Mar 2009, 06:23 pm »
Jim,

I found the most interesting post on the AA thread was from a guy who claims to have heard 'hundreds' of RPTP 6SN7's and heard no difference.

Most would agree that round or oval mica's, these are indeed a very special tube! Let us know what you hear between the 2 versions when you have had a chance to do an A/B.

John

jwes

« Reply #1059 on: 20 Mar 2009, 08:15 pm »
Yep I read through that thread.  This is very likely one tube difference that makes no difference.  Nevertheless in a few weeks I should be able to comment on what I hear...

Jim