Help me Choose an Integrated for M3TM

morganc

Help me Choose an Integrated for M3TM
« on: 23 Aug 2019, 06:38 am »
Hi Guys,
    So I've found a pair of M3 TM's and will pick them up tomorrow.  Now, I have a Coincident Dynamo and a MDHT Dac and am looking to change to a higher watt Amp after hearing the feedback that the TM's open up with a large Amp.   I'm also in a super warm area and need a cooler Amp so am considering a SS as well as tubes.
    I tried to pull the trigger on a Hegel H90 and a Lyngdorf 2170 but both sold before I could.  I'd love to keep the budget in the $1200-2000 range and would love to hear your thoughts and advice.  I'm not necessarily in a huge rush, meaning if you have owned/heard an amazing integrated with the Spatials then I'll wait till a great one comes on the used market as I don't buy new. 
Thanks in advance!

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
Re: Help me Choose an Integrated for M3TM
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2019, 11:16 am »
isn't the point of the TM version compatibility with lowered powered amps?   "triode" master implies tube amp.   ive been interested in the TM for this very reason.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2019, 12:18 pm »
This... https://www.cherryamp.com/product-page/stereo-maraschino-stm

Plenty has been said about it. Everyone without exception that has gone down this path has been smitten by it. Go for the King version if you can afford the extra $$. It will be the last amp you ever own or desire, even if you should have several thousand dollars more to spend.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2019, 12:57 pm »

Plenty has been said about it. Everyone without exception that has gone down this path has been smitten by it. Go for the King version if you can afford the extra $$. It will be the last amp you ever own or desire, even if you should have several thousand dollars more to spend.

I thought about those amps at one point. But that website is not user friendly. All I want is a 2 channel amp, not integrated, but I can barely make heads or tails of the product line.

Shakey

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2019, 02:03 pm »
I thought about those amps at one point. But that website is not user friendly. All I want is a 2 channel amp, not integrated, but I can barely make heads or tails of the product line.

Shakey

Totally agree that the site makes it difficult to know what you are getting and what your options are.  I may get a new amp next year I would like to put on my short list but the website is a bit of a hinderance.  Based on Wind Chaser and others the class D amps are good with the M3TM.  Wonder if they will also be good with the M3 Sapphire which I have on order.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2019, 02:24 pm »
Totally agree that the site makes it difficult to know what you are getting and what your options are.  I may get a new amp next year I would like to put on my short list but the website is a bit of a hinderance.  Based on Wind Chaser and others the class D amps are good with the M3TM.  Wonder if they will also be good with the M3 Sapphire which I have on order.

"Class D amps" are not, as a class, good sounding amps if you love tone.  The DAC amps are the exception to that rule, IME.  They shift the needle from "awful" (ie, most class D amps) to "pretty good".  And of course they have all the other advantages of well executed class d - hyper clarity, unlimited dynamics, very lively presentation. 

gene9p

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2019, 02:29 pm »
I have a Vinnie Rossi LIO and I am thinking about Spatials. Vinnie told me they are a great match and they use a LIO onsite. I may have to inquire about some 4's.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2019, 02:32 pm »
I have a Vinnie Rossi LIO and I am thinking about Spatials. Vinnie told me they are a great match and they use a LIO onsite. I may have to inquire about some 4's.

I've heard Spatials with the LIO together several times and it's a phenomenal match. 

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2019, 03:01 pm »
"Class D amps" are not, as a class, good sounding amps if you love tone.  The DAC amps are the exception to that rule, IME.  They shift the needle from "awful" (ie, most class D amps) to "pretty good".  And of course they have all the other advantages of well executed class d - hyper clarity, unlimited dynamics, very lively presentation.

For me tone is a very big priority due to listening to lots of acoustically recorded strings and wind instruments.  Listening to lots of classical music in addition to classic rock and progressive rock.  Due to wanting acoustic music to sound its best I almost purchased a pair of Magnepans as they are great with acoustic music classical guitar etc.  Ended up with Spatials because they are also good with acoustic while also delivering what I want with progressive rock and even orchestra delivering more mid bass authority.

Samac

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2019, 03:15 pm »
I have been extremely pleased with my NuPrime IDA-16. Plenty of drive and very even handed.

Cheers,

Scott

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2019, 04:20 pm »
A little out of your price range, but you might be able to find a clean, used Luxman 505 series integrated in the mid $2K range. From what I've heard from a few friends whose ears I trust, these are well worth stretching the budget.

groovybassist

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2019, 04:30 pm »
If you want SS, I have both of the amps below and they're both great amps in your price range.  I'm going to keep the Audia Flight as it has a balanced input, which accommodates my Cherry DAC DAC 2.  If you're interested in the Belles Aria, feel free to PM me.

-Mike

http://www.powermodules.com/products/aria-integrated.html

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9g738-audia-flight-fl-three-s-integrated-amplifier-brand-new-solid-state

morganc

« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2019, 05:25 pm »
I've heard Spatials with the LIO together several times and it's a phenomenal match.

Thanks Tyson.  I believe you and I have similar tastes ( I used to own the Super V's and loved them) and would not mind an LIO down the road when my budget allows. 

morganc

« Reply #13 on: 23 Aug 2019, 05:26 pm »

At this moment, budget is an issue as I just launched a new business and am in transition!  So I am looking for a solid, great performer, at a great price!  Thank you for the ideas, and if anyone has a Stereo Maraschino used, I would be happy to take it off of your hands!

morganc

« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2019, 05:27 pm »
A little out of your price range, but you might be able to find a clean, used Luxman 505 series integrated in the mid $2K range. From what I've heard from a few friends whose ears I trust, these are well worth stretching the budget.

I have always wanted to hear this Luxman.....thank you

morganc

« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2019, 05:29 pm »
isn't the point of the TM version compatibility with lowered powered amps?   "triode" master implies tube amp.   ive been interested in the TM for this very reason.

It has been 90 plus at my home and that will continue the next few months, so I am looking for a SS for that reason, and may come back to a tube in the future, though many here on AC say that they prefer the TM with a SS amp.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2019, 05:49 pm »
At this moment, budget is an issue as I just launched a new business and am in transition!  So I am looking for a solid, great performer, at a great price!  Thank you for the ideas, and if anyone has a Stereo Maraschino used, I would be happy to take it off of your hands!

As a former Super V owner and brand new X-3 owner I can say that the Spatials have that world class OB bass that the Super V had, but the midrange and upper frequencies are very much better. More detailed and refined.

I am using tubes right now, but would love to have a LIO in the future.

Shakey

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2019, 07:16 pm »

You will NOT be sorry if you go down this path, even if you have to spring for a new one. The Maraschino will show you what your speakers are capable of. It will exceed your expectations.  :thumb:

As for tubes... I have owned more tube amps than SS, most of them being SETs beginning with a Decware Zen which sounds pretty damn good despite its relatively modest price. Other SETs I over the years had 2A3, 300b, EL-34, EL84, KT88 tubes, can't remember them all but you could buy two Decware Zen amps for le$$ than the 300b tubes. Don't recall what tubes were in the Audio Research and a few others... regardless as enjoyable as any or all those amps were, none of them were as musically complete, capable or as satisfying as the Maraschino.

As for one of the other aforementioned SS recommendations...  :dunno:

gene9p

« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2019, 09:50 pm »
As a former Super V owner and brand new X-3 owner I can say that the Spatials have that world class OB bass that the Super V had, but the midrange and upper frequencies are very much better. More detailed and refined.

I am using tubes right now, but would love to have a LIO in the future.

Shakey
actually with his new line of products, the LIO is being discontinued and Vinnie is accepting trade ins of the LIO. You can get one discounted and fully warrantied.

morganc

« Reply #19 on: 24 Aug 2019, 12:21 am »
You will NOT be sorry if you go down this path, even if you have to spring for a new one. The Maraschino will show you what your speakers are capable of. It will exceed your expectations.  :thumb:

As for tubes... I have owned more tube amps than SS, most of them being SETs beginning with a Decware Zen which sounds pretty damn good despite its relatively modest price. Other SETs I over the years had 2A3, 300b, EL-34, EL84, KT88 tubes, can't remember them all but you could buy two Decware Zen amps for le$$ than the 300b tubes. Don't recall what tubes were in the Audio Research and a few others... regardless as enjoyable as any or all those amps were, none of them were as musically complete, capable or as satisfying as the Maraschino.

As for one of the other aforementioned SS recommendations...  :dunno:

Thanks 🙏🏻