NX-Otica / No Subs - With some low end ds0p

Captainhemo

NX-Otica / No Subs - With some low end ds0p
« on: 27 Jun 2018, 09:34 pm »
Thought this may interest  some of you guys.

We picked up a pocket CLIO  a while back so I've been playing  :)

I used the M165X -08 woofers in my Oticas  ( I had them on hand already ....  so wtf)  I felt they could  handle  a some boost  down  low.  I pulled the subs out of my room, pulled  the Oticas  a bit further apart and started tinkering.

This is  in room (18'x 12').  Running  Roon ROCK on a stand alone server. that  upsamples  everything to DSD 256 and is also being used for a  64bit  volume control ( kind of clunky but it works).  Running  direct from my Mivera Audio MKI DAC   directly into  my  prototype Mivera Audio PurePower amp, no pre in the loop.

I knocked off  a  bump  at 200hz  and applyed some  boost at 40 hz and below.  The  M165X's  don't seem  to have  any issue with the extra boost  down low.

Sounding  preety  darn   good  even without the subs   :thumb:

and just for you  Ananad  :wink:  :thumb:

jay
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2018, 11:26 pm by Captainhemo »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: NX-Otica / No Subs - With some low end ds0p
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2018, 12:28 am »
Jay,

I'm glad you changed the smoothing from 1/3 octave to 1/6th octave on the horizontal axis, but how about shrinking the vertical axis to a 50dB window  :wink: ?

Regardless, it still looks pretty flat  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2018, 03:14 pm »
Those NX-Otticas get shockingly low in my room as well. Love those speakers.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2018, 03:19 pm »
 :o   where  have you been  hiding  ?

jay

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2018, 03:24 pm »
:o   where  have you been  hiding  ?

jay

Shhhh!

sledwards

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2018, 07:51 pm »
Oticas only, 1/6 octave smoothing, no DSP. 40 to 50 Hz maybe? Room size: 16x32x9 ft ceiling.

RoadTripper

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2018, 05:45 pm »
So the CLIO thing is just a measuring device. How, then, exactly, did you execute the boost at ~40hz? This scheme appeals to me since the NX-Oticas would be ideal except for the bass drop-off.

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2018, 07:46 pm »
So the CLIO thing is just a measuring device. How, then, exactly, did you execute the boost at ~40hz? This scheme appeals to me since the NX-Oticas would be ideal except for the bass drop-off.

I use  Roon so  adding   3 small filters below 40hz  is easy.  I ended up doing  away withthe  boost at  20hz  so  really  only  2, one at  40, one  at 30.

jay

Zitoun

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2020, 12:56 pm »
Hello guys, I am interested to have your opinion on NX Otica in a small room (16x19) with no ability to move the listening position from the rear wall, is it a viable solution? will the NX-Otica be able to provide enough bass with an akward room layout > see the images here on this thread: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167755.msg1779841#msg1779841

Are they better solutions than open baffle in this configuration?

Thanks for your feedback.

Jaytor

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2020, 02:26 pm »
I think you might get ok sound but I don't think you'll get a lot of bass reinforcement because the room is open to your dining area on the left. Also keep in mind that you'll be looking into the back of the speaker from your dining area which is not it's most attractive angle.

As much as I love the NX-Oticas, I think you'd probably be happier with the Tekton DIs, or some other closed box speaker, in your room.

Jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2020, 03:58 pm »
Oticas only, 1/6 octave smoothing, no DSP. 40 to 50 Hz maybe? Room size: 16x32x9 ft ceiling.

A simple DSP low pass shelving filter will flatten out the response at the low end. 

I can do it on all sources and works well here.

Zitoun

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2020, 05:12 pm »
I think you might get ok sound but I don't think you'll get a lot of bass reinforcement because the room is open to your dining area on the left.
Jay

Thanks Jay,
It means that at least a Subwooer will be required with the Nx-oticas in this configuration right ?

Also keep in mind that you'll be looking into the back of the speaker from your dining area which is not it's most attractive angle.
That doesn't really bother me, It ha  a steampunk/geeky look, I personnally prefer that than a big black box.

As much as I love the NX-Oticas, I think you'd probably be happier with the Tekton DIs, or some other closed box speaker, in your room.
I was under the impression that the Oticas were superior sonically compared to same budget box speakers, with superiori feeking of openess and fine details in bass, is the room srtip canceling that effect ?

BTW I ma renting, so the room may change over the years.
Thanks,

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2020, 05:39 pm »
OB speakers actually do MUCH better in acoustically difficult rooms than box speakers.  Ask me how I know that, lol.

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2020, 05:45 pm »
OB speakers actually do MUCH better in acoustically difficult rooms than box speakers.  Ask me how I know that, lol.

How do you  know that  ?   :lol:

Jaytor

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2020, 09:13 pm »
Before I had the OB subwoofers completed, I used the NX-Oticas on their own for a couple of weeks. If I wasn't familiar with the recordings I was listening to, I'm not sure I would have noticed any significant low-frequency deficit. But my room has very little natural bass absorption at the front end of the room (stone floor, cinderblock walls). And as Jay (Captainhemo) mentioned, if you are using software that provides DSP functionality, you can always add a bit of low frequency boost to extend the frequency response a bit lower.

The NX-Oticas (any dipole speakers for that matter) will sound their best if placed well out into the room. Danny indicates a minimum of 3ft, but they will provide a more open, airy, and deeper sound stage with a few more feet of air behind them.

If you've got the room to bring the speakers out from the walls (particularly the front wall) and don't mind their look from the back from your dining table, then I'd say go for it. You'll probably want to add some treatment to your walls behind the speakers - at least some drapes in front of the glass.

Zitoun

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2020, 03:52 am »

Yeah... how do you know that?.  :o

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2020, 04:23 am »
Yeah... how do you know that?.  :o

Years wasted trying to get various box/tower speakers to work in my old condo where one side was closed off & the other side was open to the rest of the house.  Nothing I did ever, ever, ever worked.  Acoustic treatments didn't fix it.  Very powerful and sophisticated EQ did not fix it. 

Going OB fixed it.

Zitoun

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2020, 07:10 am »
Years wasted trying to get various box/tower speakers to work in my old condo where one side was closed off & the other side was open to the rest of the house.  Nothing I did ever, ever, ever worked.  Acoustic treatments didn't fix it.  Very powerful and sophisticated EQ did not fix it. 

Going OB fixed it.

INteresting, maybe a begining of an explanation of this effect https://youtu.be/n25AlcKa6wk?t=969

''OB does not conflict with the acousticof the room''  for what it worth.... .

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2020, 05:32 am »
Just my opinion add a dual OB servo sub.  Small in size and use the NX-Oticas.  OB offers no other sound can match. Sealed, porterd, horn loaded, planar ribbon, or even elctrostatic. Imaging in all areas are fast and smooth.  Without adequate low end in the equation your missing out but, the room does play a role.  I just ran across the brand the guy in the video was talking about and his are $20k a set sent to your door to assemble.  That also depends on the tweeter you choose.  Room treatments which you already are incorporating will help. Ron from New Record Day tells you that. The NXs in his previous room didn’t need a sub and in his new room wow what a difference the OB H Frames made.

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 1 Feb 2020, 04:40 pm »

Eeeek!

Tyson is correct.

And with the addition of OB subs it should give the flexibility to make it work really well.