This Tuesdays Tech Talk is about adding a tweeter to a full range driver.

Danny Richie

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
This episode is mind-numbingly good, Danny!

Thanks Amigo!

-Ron

Danny Richie

This episode is mind-numbingly good, Danny!

Thanks Amigo!

-Ron

Great editing again as usual.

Are you throwing in that little spot at the end to see if your brother is watching? Whatever the reason, it did make me laugh.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Great editing again as usual.

Are you throwing in that little spot at the end to see if your brother is watching? Whatever the reason, it did make me laugh.

You know me well!

Captainhemo

Another    great episode  man   :thumb:

jay

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Wow. really great informative video. I was glued from the first moment to the last listening to it!
All this info I never realized about speakers... I kinda wish you would have shown a graph of a top firing tweeter arrangement.

I am looking forward to more!

I think once word gets out how great the videos are.. you gonna get millions of views!!!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Wow. really great informative video. I was glued from the first moment to the last listening to it!
All this info I never realized about speakers... I kinda wish you would have shown a graph of a top firing tweeter arrangement.

I am looking forward to more!

I think once word gets out how great the videos are.. you gonna get millions of views!!!

Not exactly what you asked for Elizabeth, but back when dinosaurs roamed, Danny measured similar using full range drivers at both positions for a project of mine.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103789.80

AKLegal

These have been awesome.

Danny, Early B had a pair of O-3s not too long ago and I always liked their sound.  They sort of sound like open baffle speakers.  What makes upfiring woofers different from tweeters in terms of frequency response and phase? 

cementhead

Great stuff!   :banana piano:

Danny Richie

These have been awesome.

Danny, Early B had a pair of O-3s not too long ago and I always liked their sound.  They sort of sound like open baffle speakers.  What makes upfiring woofers different from tweeters in terms of frequency response and phase?

Think of the woofer as just being listened to at 90 degrees off axis. You are still listening on axis as in that it is not reflected energy that you are hearing. If the woofer was any bigger in diameter the output at 90 degrees off axis would have dropped out before reaching it with a tweeter. With the smaller woofers, they are still fairly omni right up to the crossover point. So even at 90 degrees off axis they play up high enough to reach the tweeter.

The up facing tweeter is not heard directly. What you get with it is just reflected energy only.

Danny Richie

Here is an LGK 1.0 model (3" full range driver), with and without a small up firing dome tweeter on top of the cabinet.

The red line is without the tweeter and the green line is with the tweeter.

Jeffry Ames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTBAx9x5fUU&t=912s

It's kind of a video follow up to this post that I made back in January.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161633.msg1722338
What an incredible video on comb filtering and drivers!
I was just laying out driver placement and put on Your video in the background, the information immediately put the breaks on My project.
I’m was building a MTM open baffle  using an 8” AMT tweeter and 5” full range mids...
Now I’m wondering what effect there will be for My midrange drivers.
I planned crossing them at 1500hz but might need to cross over lower to eliminate the issues???
I have more to learn before I cut into this!