Why don't we do some testing?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Why don't we do some testing?
« on: 30 Sep 2019, 06:36 pm »
We constantly hear claims that are not always scientifically sound based on our current scientific knowledge - and yet some of us hear these differences.  I feel the members of the circle are fairly unbiased along these lines, with each of us honestly reporting our experiences.  Perhaps some of the members in larger cities have enough people to occasionally host a comparison session and report to the Circle.  I'd volunteer, but Shreveport, LA is not exactly a center of high-end audio.  My first example is cables sounding better when lifted off the floor.  This probably depends on cable construction, but in my few experiments I hear no difference.  I'm sure others have topics they'd like to see covered.  Anyone with a large group of AudioCircle members nearby want to go for this?

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Why don't we do some testing?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2019, 08:16 pm »
If it's not 'ears only' then it's not testing.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2019, 09:36 pm »
huh? I honestly don't know what that means.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2019, 09:58 pm »
Well many differences disappear when the listing tests are ears only (blind) tests. We can save a lot of time, energy and money by first doing ears only auditions before moving on to serious testing.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2019, 10:34 pm »
I think we are in agreement.  I was thinking of blind (or even double blind) listening tests using only our ears.  While I am a believer in proper research and instrument testing and evaluation, in the long run the only thing I care about is if it pleases me.  And I don't do scientific testing - if I like it (and can afford it) then I want it.

Back on my original suggestion of listening tests among AudioCircle readers.  The speaker cables off the floor concept appeals to my compulsive side (yes, I have used elevators before), but I have experimented with simply lifting the cables by hand while others listened and we heard no difference.  But I won't be surprised if in some combinations this works.

About 35 years ago in Allanta I was fortunate enough to stumble into some guys with a "club" - many fine systems worth more than my car.  One day we all met and listened to over 10 turntables through blind testing.  We used a couple of identical arm/cartridge (Dynavector Ruby) rigs so we were comparing only the tables.  Took all afternoon - I don't remember the exact winners, but I did wind up with one of the top ones (Linn) and a Dyavctor Ruby cartridge after that.  Hearing is believing.

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2019, 10:55 pm »
There are a lot variables in play when you are lifting cables above the floor they are resting on. Not the least of which is whether or not the floor is carpeted. I have heard differences with some cable designs and none with others.
 On paper where a cable lies relative to the floor or carpet shouldn't make any difference difference in how a system sounds.
Go figure.
Scotty