Waterproof Camera Recommendations

Don_S

Waterproof Camera Recommendations
« on: 16 Nov 2015, 04:27 pm »
Any suggestions for a waterproof camera not more than $300?  I looked on Amazon and they all had 5-star ratings barely above 50%.  1-star ratings were in the teens and most of those reviewers would have given 0-stars if it was possible.  There seems to be a high failure rate between leaking and lens fogging.

Anticipated uses include a trip to Alaska where I will be hiking, riding in skiffs, and kayaking. I also plan on doing a snorkeling trip to Baja.  I would like a pocket-sized camera if possible.

I purchased a Nikon Coolpix L830 for my last AK trip but it was only useful when it was not raining or I did not expect imminent rain. It was also not convenient to use while kayaking. Otherwise I really like the camera and it performed very well even on telephoto shots from a bobbing skiff or boat.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Waterproof Camera Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2015, 04:53 pm »
?
« Last Edit: 18 May 2016, 10:15 am by Bob2 »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2015, 05:11 pm »
GoPro for sure!  I brought mine to the Big Island last time after always bringing my large SLR.  The GoPro is great for all around pics and the quality is quite amazing once you get the settings correct.  I highly recommend using the app for your phone as it makes setup and file transfer much easier too. 

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2015, 06:54 pm »
Thanks guys,

I looked at the Lumix and it only has a 48% 5-star rating.  I guess it works great if it doesn't fail completely so some people are very happy and others are very unhappy.

I am only familiar with GoPro by reputation.  I always think of them as video cameras and I primarily want singles.  Do the GoPros have zoom?  I get that they would be fixed focus for action shots while wearing.

I will stop by Best Buy and check out the GoPros because what I read online is confusing.  I had thought to look for Black Friday deals.  I missed a great opportunity to purchase my Nikon on BF.  I purchased it later for more money. On the other hand, my trip isn't until September and I would hate to use up most of the warranty period on any new camera with the camera sitting in a box.

I just looked at my pictures from Alaska and realize how many shots I missed because I did not have a camera with me because of weather or convenience.

cliffy

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2015, 09:46 pm »
Olympus Tough Camera series are good.  We've had a couple of the TG line and have been happy.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2015, 10:23 pm »
« Last Edit: 18 May 2016, 10:13 am by Bob2 »