Router gets 152/152 Mbps, PC only 99/114. How do you optimize?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
PC is wired to the router.  So it has to be soft ware stuff, right? It's an older PC running i7 920 at 2.67 GHz with 12 GB memory running Windows 10 home.

What can I do?

slash71

what router? and what else could get ? is a speed test outside or inside the lan ?

router have a single principle of responsibility , PC and O.S. manage different and sometime  unpredictable tasks to survive :)

WGH

How do you know the PC is only 99/114? Are you using Speedtest.net? Your ISP may have a speed test too, pick the closest server.

I changed my ethernet cable and speed went up, nothing exotic, just the new cable that came with the modem.
APC UPC backup have an ethernet port that protects the computer from surges, I discovered daisy chaining through the APC really drops my speed so I no longer use it.
Does it matter? I will never max out my 80 Mbps.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I use Fios Quantum Gateway Router that came with 150/150 plan. 
I used This Fios speed test from Verizon.  It tests device and router separately. The server in Ashburn, VA is 30 miles from where I am in DC.
Using Speedtest.net I get 31ms Ping, 100.14 Mbps down and 64.93 Mbps up.
I am suspecting Norton as the culprit.  I have VPN off.

Video conferencing using Microsoft Teams has glitches and I was wondering if 300/300 would help.  But if 150/150 is enough for this task then I just need to optimize my device.

WGH

It's an older PC

How old is it? Your motherboard Ethernet Controller may be only a 10/100 which means you are maxing it out. Though I could be wrong, confusing Mbps with Gbps.
If it is already a Gigabit Controller then maybe a driver update?

Older Cat 5 ethernet cable can only do 100 Mbps, are you using a Cat 6 cable?

SoCalWJS

PC is wired to the router.  So it has to be soft ware stuff, right? It's an older PC running i7 920 at 2.67 GHz with 12 GB memory running Windows 10 home.

What can I do?
Directly? Or through an outlet? Cat 5 or 6? (may not be the issue)

and yeah, check the specs on the controller/card in your computer.

srb

Older Cat 5 ethernet cable can only do 100 Mbps, are you using a Cat 6 cable?

A Cat5e cable will also allow gigabit speeds.

Ethernet cables packaged with consumer routers, etc. are often compromised by being tightly folded and kinked. 

You would be surprised at the reduction in bandwidth after precisely controlled internal conductor twists get disturbed, so make sure there are no bends or kinks.

Also, most RJ-45 Ethernet jacks have LEDs for link status, with amber indicating 100Mbps link and green indicating 1000Mbps (1Gbps) link.

WGH

I had some time to poke the internet, it appears you have 2 problems:

#1: Slower than spec internet, try the hardware solutions first because software is harder to track down solutions. Searching the internet you will find there are 1000 wrong answers to every 1 right answer.

#2: Video conferencing using Microsoft Teams has glitches and I was wondering if 300/300 would help.

The requirements for Microsoft Teams are low, you could conference using a dial up connection (without video):

30 kbps      Peer-to-peer audio calling
130 kbps    Peer-to-peer audio calling and screen sharing
500 kbps    Peer-to-peer quality video calling 360p at 30fps
1.2 Mbps    Peer-to-peer HD quality video calling with resolution of HD 720p at 30fps
1.5 Mbps    Peer-to-peer HD quality video calling with resolution of HD 1080p at 30fps

Zoom needs twice as much:

For group video calling:

600kbps/1.2Mbps (up/down) for high quality video
    For gallery view and/or 720p HD video: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (up/down)
    Receiving 1080p HD video requires 2.5Mbps (up/down)
    Sending 1080p HD video requires 3.0 Mbps (up/down)

With your 100 Mbps line you should be able to watch a Netflix 4k movie (25 Mbps stream) while video conferencing and still have 70 Mbps left over, hanging out doing nothing.

Maybe you have to much stuff running in the background. Norton used to be a system hog but I thought they fixed that. Are you backing up to the cloud while conferencing? What type of hard drive in in this old computer? A solid state drive is a lot faster, an old 5400 rpm drive is only good for backup.

Do you have a teenager in the house playing video games while simultaneously doing a "little file sharing"? If he knows what he is doing that could easily cause a stutter.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
So dipping back into a older thread and yet some of the same issue :scratch: :scratch:

I just got a new computer and it had a GIG Ethernet board.  I have Xfinity Gig service and a Gig modem of theirs also.  And as a audio person I have 4 different cables to test with.

Allow me to reflect for just a moment:  The last PC had 100 meg internet, the ancient lap top has a 100 meg internet port. Over the years I have ran speed tests and received download speeds of 250 meg +/- :thumb: :thumb:  Is that possible?
I have ran speed tests via the wifi on cell phones and received download results in excess of 300 meg and the cell phone wasn't capable of said speed according to it's manufactures information.

So back to current speed tests.  New state of the art Dell with 1 gig Ethernet and 2 Gig Wifi Built in and for this test turned off.

So first checking speed I can only get @ 125 meg using Xfinitys Speed Ookla Test after logging into my account.

What the heck I will use the good old www.speedtest.net Ooakla no Xfinity portal and I am up to 350 almost 500 at times.

So I keep getting this pesky go to the app store thing and why not give that a try..... well I now get 750 to 800 meg ......... what's up with that :scratch:

Xfinity has a guy come out, he says there is a bunch of noise on the line.  Okay and their preferred method of testing is via their portal as mentioned above.  Over the two hours he was here we never got above 220 meg so he ordered a new underground line installed on my 20 year old house.

Well that was last week.  And after spending all Sunday on the phone with the help desk a technician will be here in the morning.

So anyway this morning Firefox was hanging up so I opened the task manager and there is the Ethernet card on my PC being reported in real time when you select the Performance Tab.

So I promptly ran the three tests again while monitoring  my Ethernet card.
So I ran the three tests three times back to back. 1 via the App 980. 2 via www.speedtest.net  525.  3 via Xfinity portal 180.  And those numbers were verified with the task manager.

So I am off to have a beer and see what the tech says in the morning.  Aint retired fun............... :rotflmao:

Doublej

I am curious what cable modem are you using?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Router gets 152/152 Mbps, PC only 99/114. How do you optimize?
« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2019, 12:16 am »
There new fangled black tower thing made by Arius.  TG3482G.  And it is about to be replaced, with what i am still looking.

Alan

gBoogie

So per what I understand of your situation I foresee you location as being a possible issue. If you are indeed 30 Miles away from the source it will deteriorate the signal. But there are other things that can be part of the problem. An Ethernet port is 10/100/1000 in Mbps, perhaps your motherboard is using a 10/100 and not a 1000 aka Gigabit port. Another thing when doing speed tests online is how far away is the server it is trying to talk to? With speedtest.net it should figure out what the nearest server to talk to is but sometimes you may need to manually select a closer point. Another thing about the Ethernet port is wear and tear, so a Ethernet board may be necessary to add into the system, and some are fast if the system is capable of USB 3 and up. Check out if the current Ethernet port is running on the latest Driver as well! Another thing one can do is utilize the latest CAT 6 or 7 cables which may eck out a few more megabytes.
I also wanted to ask if you live in a densely populated area. Perhaps a bandwidth drain is occuring in the vacinity. Another question for you is what other devices are eating up bandwidth within your own network? An app like Fing could give you the answer. Perhaps a neighbor is on your network and stealing bandwidth away. Lastly, what other devices have you tested the network with? Even a cellphone or tablet on the wireless network will help you determine the speed of your network.
I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck :thumb:

tvyankee

Hey.

If your router is from Verizon and it's a g 1100 and you have an ont and its connected with coax only to your router and not ethernet call fios and have them make the switch. No one needs to come out you can do it on the phone with them. The router has more then enough horse power for your speeds since the g1100 can do gigabit speed and when I say that I mean wan throughput.

Also if you don't want to keep paying fios you can buy thebg1100 for like 75 online and stop paying them every month like I do .

If you have more questions just ask .

Cheers