Kapan Cable at RMAF 09

Occam

Kapan Cable at RMAF 09
« on: 12 Oct 2009, 08:43 pm »
It would be an understatement to say that folks don't go to RMAF to hear the latest in power cords and conditioners. Personally, I'd rather watch paint dry. ( I do believe that Nordost actually had a room demonstrating the differences between their power cords and conditioners)

But my power cords and conditioner were part of a number of rooms that received excellent reviews.

Fritz Heiler's fine speakers were paired with a Bolder/BPT modified Squeeze Box with both BPT battery supply and Bolder PS, Bryan Pape's excellent Korato electronics powered by my 15' cord/parallel filtering dual duplex box, hooked up to my new GS powercords and my 3 amp H.E. power cord/conditioner powering a Jolida CDP player. IMO, the combinations provided for some very fine music.

The Norwegian Hegel system sounded very good driving a pair of Dali floorstanders when I first heard it. I asked Hegel's Ben Gosvig if he'd like to try a conditioner cord on one of his components, and he asked to try one on his integrated amp. Upon hearing the readily apparent improvements, he asked for a complete complement of KaplanCables on his power feed. So Hegel used for the next 2 1/2 days a KaplanCable 15 amp H.E. conditioner/cord on their amp, a 3 amp H.E. conditioner/cord on their dac, and a standard H.E. cord on their transport. IMO, it was a great sounding, yet simple system.

But IMO, the best part about attending my first RMAF was the opportunity to meet folks and put a face to the monikers. It was a hoot!

FWIW,
Paul

kyyuan

Re: Kapan Cable at RMAF 09
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2009, 08:49 pm »
Nice job, Paul.  FYI --- I think you should modify the subject to read "Kaplan."   :wink:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Kapan Cable at RMAF 09
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2009, 10:06 pm »
I really enjoyed (and am still enjoying!) the cables.  Paul sent them to me a couple of weeks before the show and I put them in my home system to break in.   I quickly told Paul they weren't coming back ;)  I've never been a big power cord guy but these certainly made a very nice difference in my system. 

At the show, we tried different combinations of the copper and rhodium, filters and not.  The changes were all pretty easy to hear.  We settled on Rhodium GS on the amps, Rhodium GS on the preamp, and the older filtered Rhodium on the CD player.  All of this to a custom extension Paul made for me which was copper plugs, the new GS cable, and had series filtering employed in the 4 outlet box.  Bass impact and extension without boom, detail and extension on the top without edge, sweet midrange, everything you could ask for.   While our 'small, real world' system didn't get much press from the rags and the online sites (no $$$$$ speakers, no megabuck turntable/arm/cart, etc.), pretty much everyone that came in commented that it sounded 'right', something they could listen to for hours, etc.  I'll take those comments any day.  The Kaplans certainly provided a good chunk of that.

I've been meaning to post a thread about our room and the RMAF experience, all those who helped us, etc.  Just been busy getting caught up after 4 days at the show and a full day driving each way.  Sorry Paul.

If you're in the market for a great power cord, you owe it to yourself to check these out.

Bryan