NX-Studio Build *** No Clamps or Shop **** Shear

Test4echo

Re: Shear NX-Studio Build *** NO CLAMPS NO WOOD SHOP ****
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2020, 05:11 pm »
Ron did a bit on the Sapphires. Although he did not directly compare the Studio against the Sapphires, he has experience with both and maybe he can chime in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbH9wWr-Xrw&t=897s

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2020, 05:23 pm »
IMO, Danny and Clayton are the 2 best speaker designers working today.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jul 2020, 01:59 pm »
Tyson I'm glad you think so! My Emerald Physics EP 2.7"s are the last speaker that Clayton Shaw designed for EP before starting Spatial Audio. Then they were taken to GR Research and Danny measured tested and then built new crossovers using better parts. So I have kind of the best of both designers in one speaker. And they are incredible speakers. They make me smile every time I listen to them.  :thumb:

:beer:

CaptainBill

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2020, 10:05 pm »
I think I need to build these.  Thanks for all the info and pictures!

Doublej

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2020, 02:09 am »
I think Danny should offer a kit with globally sourced (to keep the price low) fully assembled and finished cabinets.

Who is in?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2020, 02:20 am »
I think Danny should offer a kit with globally sourced (to keep the price low) fully assembled and finished cabinets.

Who is in?

Good luck with that. The way you keep the price as low as possible with DIY is the DIY part. Some people have made flatpacks to make the process easier and others will build complete speakers on a case by case basis. Each level increases the cost. The more work somebody else does for you, the more it will cost.

At scale, what you are talking about is a commercial speaker. At that point, there are all the costs involved in operating a business and the cost will go to commercial levels. That means take the cost of the kit, add the cost of the cabinet and multiply it by at least five. Of course, that will put Danny's high quality speakers out of reach for most folks.

Doublej

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2020, 12:38 pm »
Good luck with that. The way you keep the price as low as possible with DIY is the DIY part. Some people have made flatpacks to make the process easier and others will build complete speakers on a case by case basis. Each level increases the cost. The more work somebody else does for you, the more it will cost.

At scale, what you are talking about is a commercial speaker. At that point, there are all the costs involved in operating a business and the cost will go to commercial levels. That means take the cost of the kit, add the cost of the cabinet and multiply it by at least five. Of course, that will put Danny's high quality speakers out of reach for most folks.

I disagree. I think a pair of globally sourced cabinets is going to cost less than the cost of materials and tools I need to buy to assemble and finish a pair of cabinets.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jul 2020, 01:37 pm »
There is not enough demand. These are low volume products. To get the kind of savings you are talking about they would have to be ordered in large quantities and then Danny would need larger warehouse space to store all the different models in a range of colors and then we are no longer in the DIY market. All the extra cost he would incur would drive his prices up. Plus "globally sourced" usually means "made in China". No thanks. There are plenty of speakers on the market that are made that way.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 26 Jul 2020, 01:44 pm »
I disagree. I think a pair of globally sourced cabinets is going to cost less than the cost of materials and tools I need to buy to assemble and finish a pair of cabinets.
Sure, but that probably means this isn't quite the hobby for you?, DIY is all about enjoying the process of having parts and tools, and ending with a finished speaker.

In reality, It's only "cheaper" when products can be produced in mass volumes. (think 5-10 thousand units per run etc) In many cases that also means massive up-front costs for testing/development of a small first runs, then the final run, all the while, shipping costs, promotion/advertising costs, labor costs, etc. etc. all add up quickly, and most business will likely fail under this pressure unless there is large, and continuous demand.

DIY is meant to cut all of those costs and risks put of the loop, allowing you the opportunity to build a $6000 speaker for $1000-2000. Or a $1000 speaker for $400-500. Plus you get to learn new skills and tools that you can use for other projects down the line!
DIY is an adventure & its all about exploring the possibilities of what might come next!

Why pay an artist $2000 for a painting, when you can just go to the store and buy a poster for $2? Sure, the mass produced poster was cheap, but it probably also was made on cheap paper, using cheap labor, & there's 100,000 copies just like it.
But when you pay an artist directly, it costs a lot more, but you get something unique & special.
While DIY kits fall somewhere in the middle, the parts and design are already layed out, but you get to decide how the final product looks, be it a simple coat of Duratex, stained veneer, or even custom automotive style paint.

Its a hobby that's all about having fun, learning new skills, and getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

jcsperson

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2020, 02:02 pm »
The only tools you really need to make a set of box speakers are a track saw or circular saw (preferably the former), a router, a drill/driver, and some cheap clamps. These are tools most homeowners should have in their garage anyway to tackle typical projects and repairs.

daveshear

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jul 2020, 06:15 pm »
Confirmed by Danny that this is correct

« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2020, 02:36 pm by daveshear »

Argoncat

« Reply #31 on: 30 Jul 2020, 11:09 am »
With the caveat of being in the process of building a set of these crossovers for my own new NX Studio build, they look correct based on my understanding of the wiring diagram.

SonicJoy has a good build thread with crossover pics:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168181.60

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168181.200

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #32 on: 30 Jul 2020, 01:33 pm »
delete

Jmitchell3

« Reply #33 on: 30 Jul 2020, 04:36 pm »
Would you share how much the paint job set you back?

daveshear

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jul 2020, 04:41 pm »
Would you share how much the paint job set you back?

Good Afternoon. I paid $150. My painter had never done speakers so he wanted to make sure he covered it. It is a three step process and has a kind of sparkle in the paint. Can look a little different looking at it at different angles.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 30 Jul 2020, 05:56 pm »
Good Afternoon. I paid $150. My painter had never done speakers so he wanted to make sure he covered it. It is a three step process and has a kind of sparkle in the paint. Can look a little different looking at it at different angles.

That's a steal. Getting an automotive paint job on a pair of speakers the size of the Studio Monitor at a body shop around here would be $400-$500.

daveshear

Re: NX-Studio Build *** No Clamps or Shop **** Shear
« Reply #36 on: 31 Jul 2020, 10:14 pm »
Here is the crossover with labels for the wiring. Danny confirmed this is good.

« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2020, 11:54 am by daveshear »

daveshear

« Reply #37 on: 1 Aug 2020, 12:56 am »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 1 Aug 2020, 01:01 am »
Man that paint looks good! :thumb:

daveshear

« Reply #39 on: 1 Aug 2020, 01:06 am »