Port questions

Trong

Port questions
« on: 19 Jul 2020, 10:52 pm »
Hi everybody,
Any body out there change the port out for the x-ls encore. I've read paper port have less resonance? Not sure if that's true. The kit comes with a pretty short flared tube. I believe I've read some people have lengthened that tube? What are the advantages if any in doing so. I am really enjoying learning during this build and look forward to uploading the images of my completed project.
Thanks for you all's help

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Port questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2020, 11:23 pm »
Hi everybody,
Any body out there change the port out for the x-ls encore. I've read paper port have less resonance? Not sure if that's true. The kit comes with a pretty short flared tube. I believe I've read some people have lengthened that tube? What are the advantages if any in doing so. I am really enjoying learning during this build and look forward to uploading the images of my completed project.
Thanks for you all's help

In one of my X-LS Encore builds I used the double flared port Danny used in the N1-X and made it a little longer. Worked well.

Trong

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2020, 11:35 pm »
I'm curious how much longer you made it? Was it paper or the plastic? When I use online port calculators the supplied port works out to 54.6hz. Could be an error on my part more than once on different sites. I'm sure what ever it is is great and I probably will just used supplied port. I am just curious how it affects overall bass/midbass balance/smoothness?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2020, 12:58 am »
The current port is tuned just about right for that box size.

I wouldn't change the port length, but you can add some box volume to extend the lower end a little bit.

uolnad

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2020, 07:13 pm »
You mention adding some volume to extend bass some. How much are you suggesting? thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2020, 01:36 pm »
You mention adding some volume to extend bass some. How much are you suggesting? thanks

Optimal ported is 1 cubic foot