Danny
thnx for the listening room video field trip and the audio demo
thanks for all you do
Gary/RevG

Chilkoot

Re: Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade
« Reply #62 on: 27 Dec 2019, 07:56 pm »
Newbie alert.
Checking the site after coming across Danny's RP600 upgrade videos. I wanted to thank you for putting the videos together and developing the kit. Well done. A lot of excellent information and insights in the series. I have not done much in audio over the past few decades, but this has got me fired up to pull out the soldering iron and experiment! I will be saving up some funds to explore further. 

Greg L

« Reply #63 on: 31 Dec 2019, 02:19 am »
O.K. Wind Chaser was asking about the sound difference between the regular binding posts and the tube connectors after the upgrade.  I'm not a professional reviewer but I will give you my listening impressions.  First off, I didn't want to disassemble the speaker cables I already had which are 10 gauge Belden Brilliance with spade connectors so I soldered the male ends of the tube connectors to plain ole 16 gauge speaker wire I had laying around.  I attempted to insert the tube connectors into the stock binding posts of the 600M's but they don't fit all that great.  I was only able to get the very tip inserted ( I know what you're thinking) but it was enough to get a good connection.  I listened to everything from Pink Floyd to Tracy Chapman switching back and forth between the regular binding posts and the tube connectors.  Both sound good...but here is the difference.  Imagine listening to a speaker and thinking, hey, that sounds pretty good.  Then imagine someone taking off a thin veil from the speakers you were listening to and all of a sudden the speaker opens up even more.  The speaker is more dynamic sounding.  Highs are cleaner and slightly more detailed with more air. Vocals are a little more natural and open,  bass is more dynamic.  That's what the tube connectors do.  Best example I can give.  I was listening to "Liberty" by Annette USCG on Tidal.  There is so much going on in this song.  Little background sound effects, sharp piano key strikes, some smooth, jazzy saxophone, beautiful vocals.  All sound just that much more detailed with the tube connectors. 

Greg L

« Reply #64 on: 31 Dec 2019, 02:37 am »
That last post should read "Liberty" by Anette Askvik.  Spell check got me. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #65 on: 31 Dec 2019, 02:53 am »
Hey Greg,

Thanks for joining us her on AC, and thanks for the feedback on the tube connectors. Your observations of the comparisons are very common, but I always love hearing about them.

Go ahead and cut those spades off your good cables and put the male tube connector ends on them. It will all sound even better with better cables.

And I have extra males ends for $3 each.

And don't worry about them not fitting every other speaker you own. Just switch all of them over to tube connectors.  :green:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #66 on: 31 Dec 2019, 03:49 pm »
O.K. Wind Chaser was asking about the sound difference between the regular binding posts and the tube connectors...

Thanks for doing that. I can well imagine. Many years ago with a different pair of speakers I snipped the leads off my binding posts, drilled two small holes near the binding posts and passed the leads through the holes. This allowed direct contact between my speaker cables and the internal speaker wire. I used the binding posts to clamp the two wires together and it did indeed make a difference ... so I did the same thing with my amp and it also made a noteworthy difference.  :D :D

Charken

« Reply #67 on: 8 Jan 2020, 06:04 pm »
New Record Day Sound Clips Up !

https://youtu.be/9JP4OINiQ14

Thanks Danny ! Waiting Patiently For The RP-8000 Upgrades   :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

maty

« Reply #70 on: 8 Jan 2020, 07:37 pm »
Tube connectors test

Begins at 17' 33". Link -> https://youtu.be/9JP4OINiQ14?t=1053

With my modded 5.25" coaxials I have clearly appreciated the difference, it is very evident!

http://gr-research.com/electracabletubeconnectors.aspx

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #71 on: 8 Jan 2020, 07:43 pm »
It will be interesting to see how many people refuse to believe the evidence of their own ears...

maty

« Reply #72 on: 8 Jan 2020, 08:22 pm »
Most are accustomed to a "V" equalization like the original Klipsch, they will get bored with a flatter response as a studio monitor. And surely many have done the test with a previous "V" equalization -> "V"

The logical thing, to me, would be a new video in which the modified one is equalized (with minimum phase PEQ) with the same frequency response as the original, and same SPL.

This is what modifying the crossover has and not only improving the components. Anyway, I was only interested in the subject of binding posts. Two days ago I improved the contacts on the loudspeakers of my two audio systems and the improvement was noticeable and very noticeable.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

Wind Chaser

« Reply #74 on: 8 Jan 2020, 11:04 pm »
It will be interesting to see how many people refuse to believe the evidence of their own ears...

They won't allow the evidence anywhere near their ears because of the void between their ears. :popcorn:

Danny Richie

Jmitchell3

« Reply #76 on: 9 Jan 2020, 04:15 am »
Wow, looks like that is where the flat earth guys congregate.

Amir does good work from what I can tell. That’s his site. He does amps, preamps and dacs and hasn’t done speakers. But does a lot of measurements and judges these products on signal to noise, measured specs vs marketed specs, etc. for instance, some of his most highly rated amps are hypex nc based units, for which Ron at NRD speaks quite highly.

Danny Richie

« Reply #77 on: 9 Jan 2020, 04:21 am »
Amir does good work from what I can tell. That’s his site. He does amps, preamps and dacs and hasn’t done speakers. But does a lot of measurements and judges these products on signal to noise, measured specs vs marketed specs, etc. for instance, some of his most highly rated amps are hypex nc based units, for which Ron at NRD speaks quite highly.

Isn't that the site where you are not allowed to talk about how things sound? Seems kind of odd for an audio site.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #78 on: 9 Jan 2020, 04:35 am »
Isn't that the site where you are not allowed to talk about how things sound? Seems kind of odd for an audio site.

Tell you what go read a few of his review posts, ignore any comments on the forum. Just read his reviews. Then make your own call on the validity of his work irrespective of the yahoos on the forum. 🧐😁. This is of course assuming you havnt already seen whats hes up to. If you have and find his work menial, id be interested to hear why.

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 9 Jan 2020, 04:40 am »
Tell you what go read a few of his review posts, ignore any comments on the forum. Just read his reviews. Then make your own call on the validity of his work irrespective of the yahoos on the forum. 🧐😁. This is of course assuming you havnt already seen whats hes up to. If you have and find his work menial, id be interested to hear why.

What I said isn't in regards to the site owner or his work. If you read what his posters say over there then I am a salesman of snake oils, and I don't have a clue as to what I am talking about.  :lol: