Custom bubinga HT2-TL on a'gon - Local pickup in Houston - $3100.00

MukAudio

Good call on insuring at replacement cost.  It would be a heartbreaker to have broken speakers and not enough coin to order new ones.

I have inquired about original packaging.  That is a good suggestion to look into replacement containers if the original packaging no longer exists.  I have been drooling over speakers for a while.  I can wait a little longer and ensure everything is done right.

Mark.

revrob

It would be nice if Jim could offer some service when people are shipping previously owned Salk speakers. Jim, don't know if this is something you might consider doing or offer special packaging pricing, just a suggestion.

Peace,
Steve

jsalk

Steve -

It would be nice if Jim could offer some service when people are shipping previously owned Salk speakers. Jim, don't know if this is something you might consider doing or offer special packaging pricing, just a suggestion.

Peace,
Steve

We would be happy to supply shipping cartons, Styrofoam, etc. for this purpose.  But the problem is the cartons are considered "over-sized" cargo.  I just got a quote to do this for someone the other day.  FedEx wanted about $180 to ship empty cartons and the lowest trucking quote I got was around $140.  So it isn't terribly feasible.

It is interesting to note that if the cartons were just a few inches shorter, the cost would be cut dramatically.  Unfortunately, the cartons don't fold that way.

- Jim

MukAudio

Steve -

We would be happy to supply shipping cartons, Styrofoam, etc. for this purpose.  But the problem is the cartons are considered "over-sized" cargo.  I just got a quote to do this for someone the other day.  FedEx wanted about $180 to ship empty cartons and the lowest trucking quote I got was around $140.  So it isn't terribly feasible.

It is interesting to note that if the cartons were just a few inches shorter, the cost would be cut dramatically.  Unfortunately, the cartons don't fold that way.

- Jim

Jim,

The quote was for these speakers, incidentally.   :)  We are trying to come up with another option for packaging since $180  was a little crazy.

Mark.

revrob

Jim,

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.

Peace,
Steve

MukAudio

If anyone is interested, these speakers are still available.  Sadly we couldn't make shipping work.  Maybe if I was slightly closer, I'd consider a road trip.

Mark.

rahimlee54

The cash you are saving is worth the trip get a buddy and make it happen  :D.

divisionbell77

If only you were in ohio........

MukAudio

At $360 in gas (which ignores the true cost of driving), and a price differential of $895 off new, I'd need to be making a vacation out of the trip to justify that.   :wink:

Mark.

MukAudio

If only you were in ohio........

Why Ohio?  Are you thinking about selling some speakers?   :)

Mark.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
How about another bubinga teaser,,,,,  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

dinaudio

Original packing may not always be a guaranteed for safe delivery.
I bought a pair of speaker (130 lb each) from an original owner. (It is not Salk brand.) It is shipped with the original box, but had suffered damages on the corners on both speakers. It could have only happened if the speaker was dropped from 1 feet or above.
The speaker was fully insured, and UPS picked them up for inspection, but denied the insurance claim due to inadequte packaging even with original packing material and boxes. I did not further go against UPS but rather let the maker of the speaker repair the damage. I was lucky that the maker fixed them for free.

MukAudio

The speaker was fully insured, and UPS picked them up for inspection, but denied the insurance claim due to inadequte packaging even with original packing material and boxes.

What did UPS claim was inadequate about the packaging?  The more I hear about speaker shipping horror stories, the more appealing freight sounds.  :)

Mark.

rahimlee54

I have read on the internet somewhere that they always deny the first claim.  I would have fought with them a while over that one.

dinaudio

What did UPS claim was inadequate about the packaging?  The more I hear about speaker shipping horror stories, the more appealing freight sounds.  :)

Mark.
I think the inspecter thought there had to be more secure packing material. The inside foam is about 1 inch thick, but I don't even think it is enough to protect 100+lb speakers if they are dropped or banged on the corner.
One time I had a turntable shipped to me with non-original packing, but the packing was done at the UPS store. I think the store owner or staff packed it, but the tonearm was not separated, not even fixed, without needle cover. There were visible scratches from the needle and the niddle was badly bent. But I got a full refund and the seller's insurance was accepted. How could they deny damage claims for packing done by themselves?
My suggestion is to ask UPS/FedEx/Or whatever moving company staffs if they can securely pack them. If they agree, then I think the insurance claim would work in case the speaker is damaged in transit. You may have to pay for the material and labor, though. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013

Mark.

1 good example Mark of inadequate packaging in loudspeakers would be having only styrofoam caps on the ends to keep the loudspeaker in place but no protection whatsoever on the sides. Even if the packing is double boxed, you can't expect only 2 layers of cardboard and 2-3" of air to adequating protect them sides. AFAIC, a loudspeaker needs to be totally enveloped with molded styrofoam that tightly fits the double boxing to even have a fighting change @ UPS/Fed-Ex. Caps alone don't do squat. Inadequate loudspeaker packaging is more prevalent than it really should be considering the all too well known risks involved.

Cheers,
Robin

Cheers,
Robin

divisionbell77

Original packing may not always be a guaranteed for safe delivery.
I bought a pair of speaker (130 lb each) from an original owner. (It is not Salk brand.) It is shipped with the original box, but had suffered damages on the corners on both speakers. It could have only happened if the speaker was dropped from 1 feet or above.
The speaker was fully insured, and UPS picked them up for inspection, but denied the insurance claim due to inadequte packaging even with original packing material and boxes. I did not further go against UPS but rather let the maker of the speaker repair the damage. I was lucky that the maker fixed them for free.

No no no.  This is UPS standard response: deny anything over $100.

Trust me.  When my parent's business was still open, I worked for them in college.  We would have UPS break any and every thing they could.  If it was under $100, always credited our account.  If over 100, always denied it.  Reason was ALWAYS because of inadequate packaging. Things that were denied by UPS:

A box with a clear hole through it from a fork lift or skid.  Denied, inadequate packaging.  I told the woman on the line how much it would have been to ship it in a iron crate, as that was the only thing that would prevent a fork lift / skid from putting a hole half way through a 24 x 24 x 24 box.  They refused to ever credit us.  This was for a collection of 4 matching collectible Santa's that together totaled over $400.

A box that was denied for inadequate packaging 45 minutes AFTER we filed the claim.  Claim stated it was inspected and was deemed inadequate packaging.  I called the customer personally and she informed me not only was the package still in her foyer, but no one from UPS had stopped by to look at it.  When I called UPS, the woman on the other line insisted it had been inspected.  I pointed out the time line of 45 minutes and she did not say another word besides 'i have credited your account for the value of the shipment.'

What we would do was have a running total of how much money they refused to refund for damaged shipments, and we never paid it in our monthly billing cycles.  When they would call us for the money(it ended up being well over $5 grand by the time my parents business closed), we would tell them to take us to court.  They would always just say OK and continue to let us to ship with them and NEVER close our account for past due payments.

Most of the damage is caused by shock damage, which leaves little to no visible damage to the box.  inside the box, the contents have been jammed so hard(typically from a decently high drop from one conveyor belt to another), that the contents inside the box have broke.  There is a company that sells a shock sensors for boxes that will 'burst' if there is a shock of X G force to the package.  If you have those, you can easily prove the UPS caused the damage and they can not refute it.

polarbare

Are these still available? If so, I'll take them.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
real nice deal polar if they are still available
I tried to get my friend in Houston interested 

to add to the "another drooling burbinga shot"
see my audiogon system page

here are my burbinga HT3's  - just stellar - one of Jim's magnifico works
I've made a few equipment changes since the photos

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&994629402&view

proud Veracity of the month club August #3  2006

loyal member since March 2007

Sonix

real nice deal polar if they are still available
I tried to get my friend in Houston interested 

to add to the "another drooling burbinga shot"
see my audiogon system page

here are my burbinga HT3's  - just stellar - one of Jim's magnifico works
I've made a few equipment changes since the photos

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&994629402&view

proud Veracity of the month club August #3  2006

loyal member since March 2007

I was just thinking that the burbinga HT3s would look really nice in my HT Cinema Room.
Would you mind letting me know how much these set you back? Would a PM be possible? 

Thank You Very Much!

Regards,
Ken