would this work????

2bigears

would this work????
« on: 16 Jul 2006, 07:50 pm »
RWA Sig 30 amp====Dodd pre====Zu Definitions?? player is an Opus 21 from GNSC. just wondering?? :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: would this work????
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2006, 08:11 pm »
No  :)   The pre goes before the amp   :)

Assuming you do that....yeah; if I get the Def's I definitely throw a Sig 30 on it.  Should be great.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2006, 03:51 am »
 2bigears ...Pat right? Not happy with the VAC ? What's up ?
Chris

kbuzz3

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2006, 03:03 pm »
I have a sig 30 on order to compare with my joule electra stargates.  If the joules are usupred the dodd battery pre is something im most curious about!!!. Ive bee eyeying that sucker for a few months.

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2006, 03:22 pm »
Chris,the little 30/30 sings sweet for sure,but i was really thinkin' on a little taste test with the RWA Sig 30.older too new at a near 10 cost factor difference when the VAC was new.[less is more] when the Dodd preamps are shipped i would have battery from source.may be worth a try?? :D :) :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2006, 07:47 pm »
Chris,the little 30/30 sings sweet for sure,but i was really thinkin' on a little taste test with the RWA Sig 30.older too new at a near 10 cost factor difference when the VAC was new.[less is more] when the Dodd preamps are shipped i would have battery from source.may be worth a try?? :D :) :D
Worth a try...for sure Pat. Vinnie does nice work, and the Sig. 30 has gotten some nice review's ...should be no problem with your Zu speakers. Hopefully....you'll have your preamp soon... :thumb:
Chris

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2006, 02:13 am »
Hi Guys,

It looks like quite a few of my Signature 30 customers are owners of Zu speakers.  They should be receiving their Sig 30s soon enough and hopefully will post feedback here  Wink2

I am building Sig 30s (at least one) every day and they are coming
out really nice  8) 

I still need to make time for the Signature 3S (source select switch) and the Signature X monoblocks  :whip:

Cheers!

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2006, 03:55 am »
please don't work too hard Vinnie as life really is that short.take time to make time.Pat in Canada :D :) :D

budbrew

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2006, 04:19 am »
Have you tried your Opus 21 direct into the Sig 30? Right now I'm using the Opus 21 direct into a pair of Channel Islands D-100 amps and it works well. Not sure if I need a preamp or not. It might could use a little filling out, but is otherwise very nice. My Audio Note M3 added too much midbass bloat to this equation. I have a Sig 30 coming soon too.

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2006, 03:19 pm »
Budbrew,i am direct to the VAC 30/30 with the 21.it does sing sweet.i will soon receive the Dodd  battery preamp to add to the system,and i believe it will take a good pre to better this sound.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2006, 03:24 pm »
I received my ZU Definition Pros in late June and set them up with what I had on hand. For those who don't know, the Pros are biamped without an internal amp or XO. So I used my RWA Clari-T on top and my Pass Aleph 30 for the woofers. Between these amps is the ZU supplied Rane PEQ 55. The results were quite good, in fact quite spectacular but I had read enough about the limitations of the Clari-T which I liked so much that the notion of trying something else lingered as it always does once you've had a piece of equipment beyond the break-in point. When I heard about Vinnie's Signature 30, first from him, and then from Srajan, I got the itch and ordered one within a week. It arrived yesterday.
Just like everyone else whose comments I've read, I must say it sounded great immediately. Disarmingly great.
And this morning it sounds better. I'll spare you the audiophile terminology because it has been blunted by repitition and because I've never been able to use it well. I would say that the Sig 30 is uncommonly articulate and wondrously emphatic. Every click, tap, note, roll, trill, hiccup, ahem, and pause is delicately, deliberately and decidedly presented. Just the facts, Ma'am. The background is absent and the foreground is transparent. I cannot believe this simple little black box can be the reason that Jesse Winchester dropped by this morning. And then, at the request of my teenage son, Deep Purple took a minute to perform "Smoke on the Water" as never before. The experience contradicts a lot of what you think you know.
I think Vinnie moved from Massachusetts to Connecticutt to avoid witchcraft proceedings. It is clear he has struck a deal with the devil. No human could devise such an incredible and miraculous black box without the aid from supernatural forces.
The Sig 30 has only one input so I use a Purest Audio Systems passive pre as a switch box. It has dual volume controls which can be used for balance adjustments and 4 inputs which are individually accessed via toggle switches.
To address the original post, I would recommend the Sig 30/Zu Def combo without any reservation whatsoever based on my brief experience. Mine is surely a keeper. I have not tried to use a preamp with mine but I recall Srajan and a couple of posters saying that the insertion of an active pre did not improve and may have hindered the sound. The Dodd may be different. I'm not familiar with it. If it has enough inputs and can be used passively, then maybe you'll use it like I use the Purest.