Need tube preamp recommendations please

Emil

Need tube preamp recommendations please
« on: 31 Mar 2018, 06:48 pm »
Hi all

Looking for tube preamp under 2K, no phono but MUST have a remote.

Current system:
PS Audio Perfectwave Transport
Schitt Yaggdrasil DAC
Quicksilver 300B amp
Frankenhorns ( picture top half a Khorn sitting on a bass cabinet)
Full loom of Triode Wire Labs
Bluesound Node 2 streaming Tidal
Placette Passive Preamp. I wanted the truth!? Well, maybe I cant handle the truth.

I'm listening to alot more Tidal these days. Although the sound is quite good, I feel its a bit "raw" hence the need to add a tube preamp to the chain.

I looked into both the Schitt Saga and Freya and owners found no difference in sound when activating the tube stage. Anyone here disagree?

Checking the used audio sites I came across a few of interesting prospects. One was the Rogue 99 Super Magnum and the other was Red Wine Audio Isabella Renaissance. Add to the list several VTL models.

Open to any and all suggestions and recommendations

deadhead

Re: Need tube preamp recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2018, 06:49 pm »
Don Sachs.  Call him.  Thing is a giant killer.

Wig

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2018, 06:54 pm »
^^Yep^^

I love Tube Pre-Amps that utilizes 6SN7s, just a much fuller and organic sounding tube. Definitely recommend Don Sach's DS2...

www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138092.0

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/custom%20line%20stage.html

ATB,
Wig

Emil

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2018, 08:01 pm »
Will look  into the SP 14. With remote will take me to 2k

What about Brown Audio Labs mentioned earlier here.
Does anyone have experiences with them?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143988.0

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2018, 08:10 pm »
You should read a few reviews of the Dehavilland Ultravalve as well, one of the best reviewed preamps in that price range (newer versions with remote are available used for less than $2k.) Many, many reviews over the years. It has that tone we love from 6sn7's. I have used used one for several years and have found it highly musical and well balanced if not the last word in treble resolution. Realistically, one shouldn't expect the ultimate in resolution at that price point.

That Don Sachs preamp does look pretty sweet for the price point too! Never heard one myself however.

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2018, 08:12 pm »
You should read a few reviews of the Dehavilland Ultravalve as well, one of the best reviewed preamps in that price range (newer versions with remote are available used for less than $2k.) Many, many reviews over the years. It has that tone we love from 6sn7's. I have used used one for several years and have found it highly musical and well balanced if not the last word in treble resolution. Realistically, one shouldn't expect the ultimate in resolution at that price point.

I know. I had one at one time :lol:
All one needed was one 6sn7. Perfect
Rarely come up used but if one does......

Wig

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2018, 08:21 pm »
I own Don Sach's DS2 and it is a customized tube pre-amp, meaning it will take 3-4 months to receive from placing order but you will be rewarded with an Outstanding Pre hitting 3-4X about its price point...

Wig

Emil

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2018, 08:38 pm »
I own Don Sach's DS2 and it is a customized tube pre-amp, meaning it will take 3-4 months to receive from placing order but you will be rewarded with an Outstanding Pre hitting 3-4X about its price point...

Wig

screw that :lol:
I'm not the patient type

RPM123

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2018, 08:55 pm »
If you can stretch your budget  bit, check out the ICON AUDIO - LA4 MkIII Tube Preamp at Music Direct. They also offer a 60 day $ back guarantee.

rodge827

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2018, 09:01 pm »
Look up Radu Tarta he builds very good preamps with the tube of your choice, and will most likely meet your budget. His DHT 4P1L preamp is magical with transformer coupled outputs. Hope to contract with him soon for a transformer coupled 6SN7 preamp.

https://simplepleasuretubeamps.wordpress.com/

Chris

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2018, 12:37 am »
Emil,

Hello. The guys above have already hit the three recommendations came instantly to my mind.

First and foremost (because I'm totally biased!) is a preamp from Don Sachs. I just can't get over how good it is. It's solely responsible for my becoming a tube head. Hell, I'm tempted to get a second one for my home in Taiwan. [Perhaps Wig or deadhead will tire of theirs and offer to sell it to me?  :wink:]

My second idea was Dehavilland Ultravalve. I haven't actually heard any of them, but I've read plenty of reviews in different forums over the years. The guy lives in Vancouver, WA. which is soon to become my new home. I've got to go visit him this year. Perhaps my pestering him will result in an audition in my (as yet unfound) new home.

My third idea (and quite likely least expensive) is to contact Radu at Simple Pleasure Tube amps. He assembled my Folsom's little chip amp for a very reasonable fee. Quality work, excellent communication, and a cult following show him to be a great source of less expensive tube gear.

Good luck with your search.

Michael

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2018, 01:05 am »
If you want the tube sound and don't mind going used, look at used Conrad Johnson preamps.  They have plenty of that tube richness that they are known for.  I would also look at Primaluna  Give a listen to Rogue Audio as well.

Give some thought to an AVAHiFi preamp-

https://avahifi.com/collections/preamplifiers/products/fet-valve-cf-rb-preamplifier

It hits way above its price point and will last forever.  Can order with a remote and they have a 30 day money back guaranty, no questions asked.

I run a BAT VK51se tube pre but used they are going for $3500.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2018, 02:00 am »
I run a BAT VK51se tube pre but used they are going for $3500.
This is alot of money for less than this amount he can order a custom made tubed pre with all the bells and whistles.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2018, 02:08 am »
This is alot of money for less than this amount he can order a custom made tubed pre with all the bells and whistles.

I wasn't really recommending the BAT.  It uses 8 6H30 tubes and does not have the typical tube preamp sound. It sounds more hybrid but with stunning depth, musicality, detail and powerful tight bass.  It sold for $10K new.

The AVA preamp and used CJ's, Primaluna are in his budget.  I agree the DS's would be the way to go.  I priced one up with all the bells and whistles including Duelund caps a little over a year ago but decided to keep my BAT for now since I recapped it and re-tubed it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2018, 02:29 am »
I wasn't really recommending the BAT.  It uses 8 6H30 tubes and does not have the typical tube preamp sound. It sounds more hybrid but with stunning depth, musicality, detail and powerful tight bass.  It sold for $10K new.

The AVA preamp and used CJ's, Primaluna are in his budget.  I agree the DS's would be the way to go.  I priced one up with all the bells and whistles including Duelund caps a little over a year ago but decided to keep my BAT for now since I recapped it and re-tubed it.
I already listen the pre 51SE along the power 75SE and the sound is somewhat like you said.
I think PrimaLuna sister boutique brand Mystere is better than the PL pre, and Upscale have one used right now at $1095USD.
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/mystere/products/mystere-ca11-preamplifier-used

A_shah

« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2018, 04:15 am »
Hi all

Looking for tube preamp under 2K, no phono but MUST have a remote.

Current system:
PS Audio Perfectwave Transport
Schitt Yaggdrasil DAC
Quicksilver 300B amp
Frankenhorns ( picture top half a Khorn sitting on a bass cabinet)
Full loom of Triode Wire Labs
Bluesound Node 2 streaming Tidal
Placette Passive Preamp. I wanted the truth!? Well, maybe I cant handle the truth.

I'm listening to alot more Tidal these days. Although the sound is quite good, I feel its a bit "raw" hence the need to add a tube preamp to the chain.

I looked into both the Schitt Saga and Freya and owners found no difference in sound when activating the tube stage. Anyone here disagree?

Checking the used audio sites I came across a few of interesting prospects. One was the Rogue 99 Super Magnum and the other was Red Wine Audio Isabella Renaissance. Add to the list several VTL models.

Open to any and all suggestions and recommendations

Noted something interesting that you have QuickSilver Amp.s, right now I am testing QS Mid Mono 40 watt amps and as of today got a new QS- 60 watt Mono amps with KT-88 tubes ( not on the website yet !) I am using a Don Sach's DS-2 pre-amp it beats  most pre-amps that I have heard and used , the DS-2 preamp preforms way above its price point . I know  waiting period is a bit of a bummer , I just lucked out when someone on AC put one up for Sale and I picked it up and send it back to Don Sach's  to upgrade it with all the Bells and whistles
Got it back after 3 weeks , that was last year !
I am now  in the same situation  I want to order a Kooteney amp but the wait time 12/16 weeks and Michael won't sell me his amp,  :icon_lol: hence trying out QS amps,( among others ) which to my surprise specially the Custom made QS-60 is absolutely outstanding ! hope this helps ! :)

A_shah
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2018, 06:52 am by A_shah »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 1 Apr 2018, 05:01 am »
Quicksilver have 12AT7 line pre for $995 use PCB though.
http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/line-stage-preamp/

JackD

« Reply #17 on: 1 Apr 2018, 05:42 am »
Linear Tube Audio MZ2.  Even fully loaded with upgraded outboard LPS and remote only $2100 new direct from company.  Less if you don't want the upgraded power supply to start with.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 1 Apr 2018, 11:23 am »
I'm a solid state guy, because I've never had good experiences with tubes (poor reliability in a couple of cases and either no magic or too much magic).  By "too much magic" I mean everything was colored the same. 

And yes, I tried the Freya and found no magic, but blew an expensive 6NS7 tube within days of receiving it.

So exactly why are you after a tube pre-amp?  I'd focus on synergy with your source/amp more than tube vs. solid state. 

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: 1 Apr 2018, 01:40 pm »
Based on the OP's description of his system, horn loaded speakers and 300b amplifier, and feeling a passive is showing too much "truth", I think he/she is on the right track with an active tube preamp.  There may be noise and gain issues however depending on system efficiency, etc.  The recommendation of the MicroZOTL is a good one.  It has very low output impedance, is dead silent, and the gain can be lowered by using 12au7 instead of 12aT7 tubes in the input/driver spot. I replaced a quality passive and buffer with a MZ in my horn based system (102db) with a great improvement in transparency and dynamics. It will not sound tubey however, or soften high frequencies if that's a goal.

As mentioned in the OP's other thread about preamp tubes (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156685.msg1676900#new), the Musical Design/Concepts preamp I mentioned does give great flexibility by allowing not just tube rolling, but the ability to change tube type to best match a system, or just have fun experimenting.

I have both a MicroZOTL and a Chameleon in my systems.