D200 vs Bryston 3BSST

halcyon98

D200 vs Bryston 3BSST
« on: 3 Jan 2006, 06:41 am »
maybe i'm not a hardcore enough but I was very hesitant to spend nearly as much money on amplification as I did on speakers.   ok well, I dont want to sound like a commercial but I am thoroughly impressed with the D200s.  it was a huge difference compared to my bryston, which is rated nearly the same at 175watts/channel

the mids are so much more real sounding with alot more definition.  i heard many nuances I simply didnt before.  my speakers are gallo reference 3 and I was disappointed because sometimes it was difficult to understand dialogue in movies, but not anymore.  now it sounds like theres actually someone speaking in-between the speakers. its uncanny.

the highs are about the same,

the bass is fuller and more extended with better control

Charles Calkins

D200 vs Bryston 3BSST
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:55 pm »
halcyon98:

I'm not surprised that you like the D-200's better than the Bryston. One thing I am surprised at though is how you describe bass response. Bryston amps are(I think) built something like those good old Nad amps of years ago. The Nads had tremendous bass response and okay mid and high end.
  Looks like Dusty has something going here with his amp design.
 Spend a few extra dollars and get a pair of the Volex power cords. I hear a nice improvement in that range where the piano play is reproduced.

Cheers
                      Charlie

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
D200 vs Bryston 3BSST
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2006, 03:17 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
halcyon98:

I'm not surprised that you like the D-200's better than the Bryston. One thing I am surprised at though is how you describe bass response. Bryston amps are(I think) built something like those good old Nad amps of years ago. The Nads had tremendous bass response and okay mid and high end.
  Looks like Dusty has something going here with his amp design.
 Spend a few extra dollars and get a pair of the Volex power cords. I hear a nice improvement in that range where the piano play is reproduced.

Cheers
                      Charlie

I haven't heard the D-200's (would love to), but I have spent time with the Bryston amps.  While they are built very well and have the best warranty out there, I never thought their bass performance was a good as their reputation.  While it is punchy and fairly impactful, I also thought it was a little warm, wooly sounding, and lacking in definition and pitch compared to some of the better amps out there.  

To me the bass has improved slightly over the model revs (NB, to ST, to SST).  Where Bryston has really improved their product was in the midrange and highs.

Congrats Dusty on gaining another happy customer.

George

Levi

Re: D200 vs Bryston 3BSST
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2006, 04:03 pm »
Quote from: halcyon98
maybe i'm not a hardcore enough but I was very hesitant to spend nearly as much money on amplification as I did on speakers.   ok well, I dont want to sound like a commercial but I am thoroughly impressed with the D200s.  it was a huge difference compared to my bryston, which is rated nearly the same at 175watts/channel

the mids are so much more real sounding with alot more definition.  i heard many nuances I simply didnt before.  my speakers are gallo reference 3 and I was disappointed because sometimes ...

The Bryston 3B SST amp is a neutral sounding amp.  The 3B SST like the 9B SST which has excellent top-end clarity and micro dynamics resolution.  It is clean sounding and may not have the bass slam compared to most of the switching/digital amps out there.    

I will go for the 14BSST or the 7BSST for 2ch application.  Then again, it is about synergy.  I am glad that you liked the D200 amp with your Galos.

:wink: