15" Bass Driver for OB (40-200Hz)

JohninCR

Re: 15" Bass Driver for OB (40-200Hz)
« Reply #20 on: 28 Mar 2007, 04:23 pm »
I learned long ago that drooling over a new driver coming out will just leave you with a dry mouth.  The 10" Hawthorne coax was supposed to be out last July, and the new Hemp offerings were supposed to become available a couple of months ago.  At this point I'm just patiently waiting, and making other options work in the meantime.

Maxdd_nj

« Reply #21 on: 28 Mar 2007, 04:43 pm »
How would the A. Brown Hemptone 8 in OB with a pair of Augie's perform in comparison to B200/Augie combo?
http://www.abrown.com/home.htm

cr_otmopo3ok

« Reply #22 on: 28 Mar 2007, 06:26 pm »
Max, I haven't heard that 8" Hemp driver so i don't know how it sounds.

But when someone finally makes a good Hemp 8" full-ranger WITHOUT a whizzer cone I sure will try one. In fact that's what I'm waiting for.

Good Luck!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #23 on: 29 Mar 2007, 12:03 am »

But when someone finally makes a good Hemp 8" full-ranger WITHOUT a whizzer cone I sure will try one. In fact that's what I'm waiting for.

Good Luck!

No can do :nono:  ToneTubby's hemp is @ 100% and will not do high frequencies without a whizzer.
Any 8" hemp driver without a whizzer is NOT a true hemp but a mixture like hemp matrix.
I bet you lose tone.

Lin

PS   I believe TT is still working on an OB 8" 16 ohm driver.

JohninCR

« Reply #24 on: 29 Mar 2007, 01:22 am »
Re Hemp Acoustics drivers,

I received an email response to a status request that the suggested retail of the new coax 10" was $600.  I haven't bothered to respond or request further info after than bit of info.  I forget the price of the new 8" fullranger, but it seemed reasonable, just not what I'm looking for.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #25 on: 29 Mar 2007, 01:59 am »
Dave if you can't tell, don't say anything but i was wondering,  :)
Will the Sterlings be complementary to the current driver line up (for a premium price) or will they replace the current SIs ?
There is no plan to discontinue the old SI coaxials. The new ones are a more high-end alternitive.
Too much Xmax is not always great...it would seem like a driver is turning into one of the usual long throw designs...
I'm not saying anything bad at all, it's just that something about accordion surround and low excursion that sound right, quick and effortless.
The excursion on the new Sterling Augie will be greater than the Augie, but not as much as many of those sub drivers made just for low frequency rumble. The new Sterlings are designed with music as the first priority, home theatre is second.
But if it's designed specifically for OB espesially by Darrel than it's gotta be good.
Plus now i remember that i heard Darrel talking that Sterling is the BEST driver he's ever heard (now i realize what sterling he was talking about)
Few months is SO far aways it seems... what to listen for now?

Another question:
I know all the negative sides of 10"SI coax and that it's designed for smaller rooms.
But even if i can accommodate 15" coax easily is there a additional advantage to buying 10" coax that would make me buy it over 15" like better imaging due to smaller wave launch cone? Better dynamics?
I mean if they are complemented by Augie on the bottom then the negative side of 10" (lower extension) goes away in an instant, then maybe 10" has other advantages?

I need more time to compare the 10" Coaxial to the 15" Coaxial to answer your question completely. Right now, only having heard the 10" with the wrong XO, I prefer the 15 Coaxial. The bigger soundwave and punchier bass impact just do-it for me better. However, I can't tell about imaging until I get the crossover right. I'll be breaking in the 10 inchers more with the newest XO over the next few days and can maybe answer your questions better then. The 10" baffle I'm using does take up less space, though. I need to play with a higher crossed sub some, also, with the 10 inchers.

Dave :)

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #26 on: 29 Mar 2007, 02:06 am »
I learned long ago that drooling over a new driver coming out will just leave you with a dry mouth.  The 10" Hawthorne coax was supposed to be out last July, and the new Hemp offerings were supposed to become available a couple of months ago.  At this point I'm just patiently waiting, and making other options work in the meantime.
John,

You wouldn't believe the headaches and patience-trying that has went into the development of this new 10 inch SI Coaxial. Darrel is determined not to release this driver until it is good enough to wear the Silver Iris name. The earlier versions just weren't quite up to it. The wait is almost over, though. Now it's my turn to have the pressure on me for a while...  :scratch: :duh: :o :roll: :? etc...

JohninCR

« Reply #27 on: 29 Mar 2007, 07:10 am »
John,

You wouldn't believe the headaches and patience-trying that has went into the development of this new 10 inch SI Coaxial. Darrel is determined not to release this driver until it is good enough to wear the Silver Iris name. The earlier versions just weren't quite up to it. The wait is almost over, though. Now it's my turn to have the pressure on me for a while...  :scratch: :duh: :o :roll: :? etc...

Some people may want to hear about the labor pains, but for me just deliver the baby.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #28 on: 3 Apr 2007, 03:05 am »

Good Luck!

No can do :nono:  ToneTubby's hemp is @ 100% and will not do high frequencies without a whizzer.
Any 8" hemp driver without a whizzer is NOT a true hemp but a mixture like hemp matrix.
I bet you lose tone.

Lin

PS   I believe TT is still working on an OB 8" 16 ohm driver.

According to a recent post by Vinnie R. there will not be an 8" OB Hemp driver from Tone Tubby. :cry:

Lin
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2007, 03:45 am by opnly bafld »

JohninCR

« Reply #29 on: 3 Apr 2007, 04:38 am »
Lin,

Do you mean other than the Hemptone 8" that looks like it's already out?  The one I like is that 6.5", though it needs a tweet and some power.  That response up to 5khz looks sweet.  Plus with 7mm of Xmax I can stretch the bass by leaning on the EQ a bit.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #30 on: 3 Apr 2007, 01:12 pm »
Lin,

Do you mean other than the Hemptone 8" that looks like it's already out?  The one I like is that 6.5", though it needs a tweet and some power.  That response up to 5khz looks sweet.  Plus with 7mm of Xmax I can stretch the bass by leaning on the EQ a bit.

Yes, Tone Tubby was working on an 8" 16 ohm OB driver for Omega and apparently the development cost was getting high? and they wanted Louis to buy in large quantities. The project has been sacked as I understand it.
Perhaps they did not understand the potential the driver might have had with DIYers.

I agree on the smaller Hemptone driver, a few months back a friend (with more speaker building experience than me, but no OBs) was looking at drivers for a 3 way OB. One of the drivers I suggested was the old Hemp Acoustics 6.5" as a widerange mid.

Lin

schrottie

« Reply #31 on: 21 Feb 2008, 08:04 am »
I have found some 15" Bass drivers, that could be interesting:

MB Quart RWE 354/RWE352
TSP
RE: 3.2/6.4
QMS: 6.37/6.24
QES: 0.531/0.541
QTS: 0.49/0.498
FS: 20/21
VAS: 157/157
SPL: 90
XMAX: ???
Impedance: 2x2/2x4 Ohm

Pyle PLM 1590 BL
TSP
RE: 2
QMS: 5
QES: 0.9
QTS: 0.75
FS: 22
VAS: 147
SPL: 84
XMAX: 15
Impedance: 2x4

Both not too expensive. I couldn´t find graphs for those. What do you think?

iON

« Reply #32 on: 22 Feb 2008, 01:12 pm »
Hi Schrottie,

Sorry to say that the first driver doesn't seem suitable for OB. Sure, the FS looks tempting, but I wouldnt choose it myself. QTS is just to low. And unless you're biamping the SPL is on the low side too. My guess is that it will sound _very_ lean in the bass when used in OB. If it has double voice coils however, the QTS can be increased in favor of SPL.

Regarding the Pyle driver, the QTS looks good. The low Re of only 2 ohm shows that this is a speaker made for car audio use. It could definitly work well in a OB setup but the SPL is painfully low. The low impendance together with low SPL will put some hefty requirements on the amplifier.

NurEinTier

el`Ol

« Reply #34 on: 23 Feb 2008, 02:10 pm »
Why does one never hear about the Delta-15B?
Any experiences?

Graham Maynard

• Class-A//AB
« Reply #35 on: 23 Feb 2008, 04:07 pm »
Re the Monacor SP-382C

Suits car, but not OB;-

cms = 0,58mm/N (too stiff)
mms = 113g (too heavy)

More AF energy goes into moving the cone than displacing air !

Cheers .......... Graham.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #36 on: 23 Feb 2008, 07:56 pm »
This Selenium looks promising and has had very good reviews as to its suitability for this purpose on "other" forums.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-338

A Google on the model number brings up a detailed pdf on specs. qts 0.61; mms = 75gm; cms = 265 mm/N; sensitivity 98 dB/W; kapton VC former, $60 ea in lots of 4. This driver is said to actually sound very good through the midrange, presumably because of the glitch-free roll off at the top end (around 4 kHz).

NurEinTier

« Reply #37 on: 23 Feb 2008, 09:34 pm »
Re the Monacor SP-382C

Suits car, but not OB;-

cms = 0,58mm/N (too stiff)
mms = 113g (too heavy)

More AF energy goes into moving the cone than displacing air !

Cheers .......... Graham.

Learning all the time. :D

iON

« Reply #38 on: 25 Feb 2008, 11:41 am »
This Selenium looks promising and has had very good reviews as to its suitability for this purpose on "other" forums.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-338

FYI, here's a frequency response on the 15PW3 driver driver: http://www.prodance.cz/protokoly/15PW3.pdf

Cheers!
/Jon

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #39 on: 25 Feb 2008, 05:41 pm »
If you click on tech data for another relevant pdf on this page there is a response chart which looks as though the vertical scale was compressed, although close analysis shows the same scale, I think. Puzzling - this one is much more flattering.

http://www.iakn.com/prosound/pwline.html

Actual listening tests have been encouraging, apparently, and DIY'ers more experienced than myself attribute this largely to the clean roll off at higher frequencies and how a simple low order crossover could be used to good effect with this response pattern.