Coffee

mick wolfe

Re: Coffee
« Reply #100 on: 5 Jun 2020, 03:24 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I've been buying green beans from Sweet Maria's for years. Always decent, but it's nice to know there are other options. I take it you roast your own beans as well?

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #101 on: 5 Jun 2020, 07:02 pm »
I'd like to see what people are using to roast at home with. Please post some pictures/links. If you're using a frying pan, no need to post pictures.  :D

mick wolfe

« Reply #102 on: 5 Jun 2020, 08:18 pm »

Kaldi roaster. Designed to work best placed over a burner on a gas range. Plus an overhead range hood of some ilk for venting. I use my microwave venting system. I've had excellent results with the Kaldi far beyond anything I ever achieved with my 2 Fresh Roast air roasters.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #103 on: 5 Jun 2020, 08:26 pm »
  No that is serious Coffee gear. K-Cup and a button for me. Your coffee must be really good.

charles

mick wolfe

« Reply #104 on: 5 Jun 2020, 08:40 pm »
Charles.....just like audio, it's all subjective. But I no longer feel the need to head to one of the local roasters for my coffee. I'm somewhat matching or even bettering some of the local roasts. And don't feel bad, still occasionally have a Keurig myself.

WGH

« Reply #105 on: 5 Jun 2020, 09:07 pm »
Today's Science Friday has a interview with computational chemist Christopher Hendon, listen to the 16 minute interview:

Using Chemistry To Get The Perfect Cup Of Coffee
https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/copy-using-chemistry-to-get-the-perfect-cup-of-coffee/

Then if you really a coffee geek click over to a scientific paper in the scientific journal Matter, I suggest having a strong cup of coffee before reading:

Systematically Improving Espresso: Insights from Mathematical Modeling and Experiment
https://www.cell.com/matter/fulltext/S2590-2385(19)30410-2?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS2590238519304102%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #106 on: 6 Jun 2020, 06:43 pm »
I use the Behmor 1600+ roaster, roasting 1/2 lb. at a time.  I've probably run 2-3 hundred pounds of coffee through it, and it's still running fine.  I used one of the hot air roasters before upgrading.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #107 on: 6 Jun 2020, 09:02 pm »
Thanks for that. The Behmor seems quite reasonably priced, I'll have to look into this  I don't have a gas range for the Kakdi roaster mentioned.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #108 on: 6 Jun 2020, 11:31 pm »
  Man oh Man your homes must smell just delish when roasting. I need a cup of coffee now.

charles

Mudslide

« Reply #109 on: 6 Jun 2020, 11:41 pm »
  Man oh Man your homes must smell just delish when roasting. I need a cup of coffee now.

charles

Just toss in some bread baking, bacon frying and, ooh la la, I could go to heaven a happy man.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #110 on: 6 Jun 2020, 11:50 pm »
Just toss in some bread baking, bacon frying and, ooh la la, I could go to heaven a happy man.

I'm coming over. The Bacon got me.  :D

charles

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #111 on: 7 Jun 2020, 09:16 am »
Wow! Some serious roasting gear here... I see a lot of you guys have espresso machines well. What do you use? How do you use it?
I'm mainly a pour over guy, sometimes use my moka pot with pretty good results. I do like a good espresso when out and about, but I kinda have to trust the person making it haha. A bad espresso is a sad experience, like when I've tried making it myself.... :roll:

And grinders: I have a Vilfa svart that doesn't really grind espresso, but is really good, for the price, in the other ranges.

Also, at this point, I'd like like to say that just like with hifi, I'm  budget conscious (read poor) coffee lover.

dpatters

« Reply #112 on: 7 Jun 2020, 10:33 am »
I get good results with Breville Barista Express. Not exactly cheap, but you could certainly spend way more. I get my beans from local coffee shop that does all of their own roasting.

Don P

cfisher835

« Reply #113 on: 7 Jun 2020, 01:45 pm »
I had a Pasquini Livia 90 for 15+ years but upgraded a few years ago to a La Marzocco Linea Mini and a Mahlkönig K30. I have been very happy with both.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #114 on: 7 Jun 2020, 11:04 pm »
I use this cheap grinder, do the job as other manual grinders.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163054.0

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #115 on: 7 Jun 2020, 11:21 pm »
I have a spring-lever type espresso machine and a small commercial grade flat-burr grinder.

One day I'd like to get an upgraded spring-lever machine with preinfusion controls and a Kafatek flat-burr grinder, that would be a lifetime investment in coffee gear. Expensive, yes... but not as expensive as audio!  :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #116 on: 7 Jun 2020, 11:59 pm »
Someone have experience with electric grinders?
Do they are better than the manual grinders?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #117 on: 8 Jun 2020, 01:21 am »

Not necessarily, there are some high end manual grinders available.

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #118 on: 8 Jun 2020, 08:27 am »

They are a lot less work... :lol: 8)
I'm very happy with my Wilfa svart. It grinds evenly and has enough steps to accomodate different techniques and coffees. Costs about 80 Euro. Next thing on my list is a swan neck-kettle. Precision, precision, precision.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #119 on: 8 Jun 2020, 09:13 am »
Your Wilfa svart are electric or manual?
The coffee powder must be as fine as possible.