My ModWright 2900 is up and running

BikeWNC

« on: 30 Apr 2004, 08:13 pm »
My 2900 has survived the UPS tour of the CONUS and has been powered up and will burn in over the weekend.  I'll post with my impressions in a few days.

Andy

Ron D

« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2004, 05:26 am »
Well its been at least a few days. Any opinions or observations would be most appreciated...

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2004, 09:34 am »
I'll try to post by the end of the weekend.  

Andy

mr_bill

Any comments yet
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2004, 12:40 am »
Wondering about your modded 2900 - how is it?
Thanks

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2004, 01:13 am »
I want to know about the bass compared to maybe another non modded player you might have around.  Can you compare quantity and quality of the bass wrt a non tubed source?  I really like what I have heard from the modwright pieces I have heard but I am interested in another viewpoint of the bass content.

BikeWNC

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2004, 01:55 am »
Josh,

I will try to do that in the next day or so.  I have been pretty busy as of late and really haven't had the time to listen all that much.  I'm just playing the 2900 in the background to complete the burn-in.  I will have to put the sub back into the system to determine how good the low bass is.  My GR Diluceos play to about 45 hz in my room before really fading away.

I have a Denon 2800, Toshiba 3950 and a Pioneer DV440 with ModWright transport mods to use.  I also have the BC Dac2.  

Andy

BikeWNC

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2004, 01:54 am »
OK.  This is the first of several comparisons I hope to complete in the next few days.  This afternoon I compared the stock Denon 2800 to the ModWright 2900 with Universal Truth Mods and Slipstream Bybees on the analog out.  My system as I have it configured for the comparison is

Source as mentioned
Symphonic Line Die Erleuchtung PreAmp
Odyssey Extreme Monos
GR Research Diluceo speakers
Rel Strata III sub
ICs are Bolder Bybeed Nitros (cryo w/silver bullet Eichmann)
SC is Zu Ibis
PCs are CVH Flavor 1 and 4 and Zu Mother.
BPT 3.5
Room 16x14 with various room treatments

Having become accustomed to the sound of the modded 2900, I began with the 2800.  Simply put, comparing the 2800 to the modded 2900 is like comparing peanuts to macadamia nuts.  Maybe it's just plain nuts.  The first thing that is apparent is how much more open and transparent the tubed 2900 is.  The stock 2800 sounds closed in.  Background vocals get lost behind the lead.  Cymbals and tamborines sound tizzy.  But I am comparing a $800 stock unit to a $2600 modded player.  I also don't remember anyone shouting the virtues of the 2800 as a cdp.  So I'll leave the 2800 and try to describe some of the properties of the 2900 with Universal Truth Mods.

I haven't had much experience with higher end CDPs.  I had the chance to listen to an older Krell 250cd and thought it was very smooth if somewhat laid back as I remember.  Other than that, I have been using my Bel Canto Dac2 with a ModWright Pioneer transport.  The BC is a very nice dac, but I was tired of the digital cable scene and clutter and wanted to check out HiRes software.  I'll revisit that setup next.  

What strikes me about the modded 2900 is just how natural it sounds.  There is no strain, grain or pain (in my ears).  I've heard on many players how Nora Jones' voice can get hard or strident as she reaches for some notes.  Not on the Denon.  No restraint or compression.  Watch your tweeters if you like it loud cause this player will reach up there every time.

While I'm thinking of vocals, this unit has excellent separation of lead and background singers producing layers within the soundstage.  I have a few choir tracks that are so vivid with this player that I feel that I can picture each voice on the stage.  I attribute this great resolution to the very low noise floor.  In switching back to the 2800 it is obvious that the modded 2900 is so much more quiet.  The low noise floor also helps notes jump from a more black background.  Dynamics seem to be indicative of the recording, startling with the best software.

The ModWright 2900 is very well balanced top to bottom.  In no way is it euphonic as poor cds still are bright or edgy.  Bass is full, extended and has excellent resolution.  Compared to the stock 2800, there is more bass (quantity) with better attack and definition.  I don't get the feeling that it is slow or tubby in any way.  Midrange has body and palpable presence.  Within my limited digital experience, this is the best I have heard on cd.  Images seem to occupy 3D positions within the soundstage, a very tubey characteristic.  To me, the quality of high frequencies on cd are recording related with the best sounding on this player very close to the HiRes formats.

I wish I could have the chance to compare this unit to some higher end players, but I live in a very rural area and that is not possible.  Heck, I had to drive 600 miles RT to meet some of the other NC audiocrazies.  But even without the benefit of those comparisons, I am very pleased with the performance of the 2900 with Universal Truth Mods.  

Andy

Doug_B

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2004, 04:50 am »
Thanks for the feedback, Andy. I'm curious if you had some experience with the stock 2900 before you sent it to Dan and if you have enough recollection to compare. I'm particularly interested in any shortcomings you heard with the stock unit and the improvements you heard since its return.

Thanks.

Doug

BikeWNC

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2004, 11:58 am »
Doug,

I had the 2900 shipped to Dan direct from the vendor.  I have not heard the 2900 as a stock unit.  I can't imagine the stock 2900 sounded anything like it does after the mods.  I know that doesn't help, but then I haven't heard any stock unit sound like the modded 2900.  I need to check out the Esoteric 50.  I think Dan said that he hoped to compare these players soon.  Perhaps if you contact him he can give you more info on stock vs. mods on the 2900.

Andy