DUNE: Part Two in 70mm film - Feb. 29th

WGH

DUNE: Part Two in 70mm film - Feb. 29th
« on: 26 Jan 2024, 10:56 pm »

Not very many theaters in the US can screen 70mm films, the gold standard in picture quality. The Loft Cinema in Tucson, AZ regularly screens 70mm films on a restored projector. The images are truly glorious, the sound is also reference quality too.

Tickets for DUNE: Part Two go on sale today.
https://loftcinema.org/film/dune-part-two-in-70mm/

Spring starts in late February in Tucson too, wildflowers will be in full bloom. Plan your winter vacation in the desert Southwest around a movie event. I'll take you on a hike too.

Dune Part Two trailers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Way9Dexny3w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YUzQa_1RCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Qp5pL3ovA

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: DUNE: Part Two in 70mm film - Feb. 29th
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2024, 12:56 am »
Hopefully they did the sound track different so you can understand the dialog and not have it drowned out by the music, otherwise we will not be seeing part 2.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2024, 02:15 am »
Hopefully they did the sound track different so you can understand the dialog and not have it drowned out by the music

I'll post a dialog update when it happens.

I saw the first Dune a couple of times, first in a Cinemark HD theater and then in my mini-home theater in 4K Dolby Atmos. The dialog was completely understandable and clear in both settings, even the whispers. Hopefully theaters have upgraded electronics and speakers since Dune was released.

qdrone

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2024, 06:19 pm »
I caught it in Dolby 7.1 yesterday,everything sounded OK. Enjoyed it.

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2024, 08:40 pm »
I can't imagine paying to go to a theater.  Last time I went to a movie before Christmas last year, I went to an imax showing of the boy and the heron. It was maybe 50*F inside and the sound was so loud I had to put napkins in my ears... No nuance.  Image quality was good, though.  And it was very big.   No reason to complain to the robots that work there.  I think people who go to movies must like it this way, because they're always way too loud.  The cold temp was a new thing, never been that cold in a theater before.  I could see my breath at the end. 

Dune 1 was great in my big dedicated HT... but then it was great in my bonus room on a 55" too.  I don't need it big and loud to enjoy it.  Concerts are better bigger but movies, I just need to hear what they're saying.  The soundtrack in Dune was well recorded.  I still like having subtitles... especially to see how to spell names. 

I don't know why there is such an effort put into obscuring dialogue in movies today.  It doesn't really matter since most of them suck badly.  But for the few decent ones that come along, it's nice to hear them.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2024, 08:54 pm »
I liked Dune Part 2 but it felt like it wasn't the last movie.  I heard a rumor that there will be a third Dune movie will be based around Dune Messiah.  I hope so because Dune Part 2 had a very abrupt ending and doesn't really feel complete.

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2024, 10:21 pm »
I liked Dune Part 2 but it felt like it wasn't the last movie.  I heard a rumor that there will be a third Dune movie will be based around Dune Messiah.  I hope so because Dune Part 2 had a very abrupt ending and doesn't really feel complete.

I haven't seen it yet.  The book is like that, too, feeling like a cliffhanger.  Dune Messiah is the one after Children of Dune?

It'd be fun if they do some of the space-opera-ish stories that Herbert's son has put into that universe.

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2024, 03:01 am »
It's tragic that there are no 70mm IMAX theaters in the Houston area.    :(

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2024, 12:23 pm »
Be sure to rewatch the first movie before you go, because Part 2 picks up right where the last one ended. In fact, it seems like they had already filmed the beginning of Part 2 when they did Part 1, and just kind of cut it at some point because of timing. The beginning of "2" drags a bit but gets better.

Yeah, this story isn;t complete. Lots of things have yet to happen (no spoilers) that were in the first book, let alone the second book.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2024, 11:51 pm »
I can report that Dune 2 in 70mm film + The Loft Cinema = an A++ movie experience. Dune 2 has more action than the the first, we know the characters and their personalities so the film jumps right into the story with no flashbacks to explain what is happening. The soundtrack is by Hans Zimmer again, subs really get a workout with part 2. There are a few whisper scenes but what is said is not important, you will understand what is happening by expressions and body language, otherwise dialog is very clear.

Dune 2 is a film experience like Spartacus and Ben Hur, it was made for theaters with big screens and big surround sound that can handle the wide dynamic range. It looks like Dune 2 in 70mm film will be at The Loft until March 21st.

The two Dune films are very faithful to the first book, I'm looking forward to Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

Dune 2 was one reason why I spent 4 days in Death Valley last week, too bad I didn't bring my thumper.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=188882.msg1977222#msg1977222

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2024, 11:19 am »
Very underwhelmed watching Part 2.  I spent the morning watching 3 Body Problem on Netflix which is fabulous, I caught the last day of showing at our local low tech theater.  It's the best try at filming the unfilmable Dune, and I previously praised Part 1 for dumping all the intricate politics of the book and told the adventure story.  Now I'll complain that that adventure story falls flat, formula and boring, no buildup, just stupid stuff we've seen a million times before.  We need the platform of all the various power groups to give meaning to the action.  They spent three hours trying to fill in all that would be needed and still failed.  I'm thinking only a Game of Thrones type miniseries over several seasons could do it.  But they tried that and it didn't work either.  Perhaps this is one book that can never successfully make it to any screen translation.

And the final straw, any Dune adaptation that doesn't have a navigator pronouncing "Many machines on Ix" cannot be considered complete.