Screw for tower on Well Tempered Amadeus buckling

DavidS

Screw for tower on Well Tempered Amadeus buckling
« on: 1 Jun 2015, 09:51 pm »
not sure if this is the best description but have a 5 year old amadeus and due to overuse the screw that tightens through the side chassis of the table onto the tower apparatus has started to buckle to the point that is will no longer hold the tower in place.  Have put off doing something about it because it has still worked but knew this day would come.

I am looking for ideas about how I might fix this - clearly the turntable doesnt work without having the tower (that suspends golf ball) being held firmly and vertically in place.  Appreciate any ideas you have before I start taking things about and really having no idea what I am going to do to fix things.

David

mick wolfe

Re: Screw for tower on Well Tempered Amadeus buckling
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2015, 11:42 pm »
Might have to replace the entire plinth. I don't even want to ask how it got damaged to that extent.

audio.bill

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2015, 12:59 am »
To have it fixed and look like new I think you would have to replace the plinth as Mick said. However if you don't mind the cosmetic imperfection, you could compromise by having a woodworker remove any loose pieces, then fill the hole, sand it down, and drill a new hole for the screw. You could also try to then repaint the repaired area, but I doubt it would look like new again.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2015, 04:14 pm »
There's a shot at a repair, but as you've said, it wouldn't be pretty. The threaded collar that the allen screw goes into would have to be re-epoxied. I'm assuming it was epoxied and not threaded to the plinth . So the best approach might be make the best cosmetic/structural repair possible, then re-drill the hole for the collar. Another approach from a cosmetic point might be to fab up a small metal plate with the collar hole centered to cover the damaged area. In a perfect world, perhaps even a new threaded collar that affixes to the metal plate. This would cover the damaged area and structurally hold the collar without the need for epoxy. Lots of options, but the table should be disassembled before starting any surgery. But when all is said and done, the best way to actually maintain the value of the table is to replace the plinth.

DavidS

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2015, 06:08 pm »
appreciate the feedback.  Was hoping there might be some kind of simpler patch and get it working approach.

not sure how the damage happened - probably over-tightened the screw at some point although dont recall being overly aggressive with it.

Does Well Tempered sell plinths seperately.  This sounds like an expensive proposition no matter how I do things.

Thanks again.

David

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2015, 08:16 pm »
David.....I would touch bases with Mike Pranka for advice on a permanent fix. Temporary fix might be to support the column with a small prefabed piece of plywood,etc. Drilled to the diameter of the column at the depth needed to achieve original arm height.   

DavidS

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2015, 11:11 pm »
I did a version of Audio.bills temporary fix - used Gorilla tape as a backer and removed broken pieces whole onto tape (used a small hammer to gently flatten and came out whole and intact).  Glued the piece back to one whole still on the tape.  Then once mostly dried glued it back into the vacant slot with tape patch over top  to hide the bruising (black so mostly matches table) and clamped.  Let it set up for about 36 hours before resetting the tower and amazing everything seems firm.  Spinning some Van the Man and everything sounds good - not too much of an eyesore.  Not sure how long it will last with my track record...

Again thanks for the help.

simoon

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2015, 12:49 am »
I'm not super familiar with that TT, but it seems to me, the existing failing bracket could be bypassed with a bracket like this -

Just get one with the legs slightly wider apart than the existing one, so it sits flush against the plinth, and an hole that would accommodate the screw.

If I am totally off base, or delusional, let me know.

mbskeam

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2015, 01:54 am »
drill, ream and plug then retap new threads, this is how I fix blown out/off center taped holes.
like a keencert
or an external plate with a long nut welded onto the plate and then recessed into the counter bored hole, made from Stainless off course, would have 4 CS screws holding in place.