Should I get a XX-2 or a TSD-15?

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
Should I get a XX-2 or a TSD-15?
« on: 21 Sep 2012, 02:47 am »
Im just about to retire my Soundsmith cart and upgrade. I have heard nothing but good things about the XX-2 so that seems like a clear choice, but has anyone had experience with the EMT TSD-15?

I don't have a shop within a reasonable drive to try one out so Ill be more or less just buying on faith.

vortrex

Re: Should I get a XX-2 or a TSD-15?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:46 am »
isn't the EMT TSD-15 the go-to cart for high end Well Tempered based systems?  that's the one that always seemed to be demo'd at least.

Erocka2000

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:59 am »
I have one and it's superb. Very full, dynamic sound with excellent detail.  My only experience with Dynavector is with the 20x2L that I had on my Rega P5, so not a fair comparison.

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:08 am »
isn't the EMT TSD-15 the go-to cart for high end Well Tempered based systems?  that's the one that always seemed to be demo'd at least.

It is the go to from what I can tell but I never got a demo of my table before I purchased. I guess really the question is the tonal/tracking differences between them because all I really have heard is that both are excellent matches with the WTA and im trying to best guess my way to which one of the two I'd prefer.

Really all that it would have to do to impress me is a clean and detailed top end while not being fatiguing, I have yet to get that. Its been either too rolled off (boring) or too sharp and gritty (agitating).

SteevA

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:59 am »
.....Really all that it would have to do to impress me is a clean and detailed top end while not being fatiguing, ....

I have not heard the EMT but the I have the XX2 and think it matches that description.   I suspect you would be pretty safe with either of them.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2012, 05:54 am »
Big question, what is your phono stage?

jsawyer09

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2012, 04:46 pm »
Im just about to retire my Soundsmith cart and upgrade. I have heard nothing but good things about the XX-2 so that seems like a clear choice, but has anyone had experience with the EMT TSD-15?

I don't have a shop within a reasonable drive to try one out so Ill be more or less just buying on faith.

I've never heard the EMT, but own the XX-2 MKII on my WTA. I agree that you will not go wrong with either; but threadkiller introduces a very valid question as to what phono you have. I have a Graham Slee Reflex M paired with a Cinemag SUT, and these suit the Dynavector cart quite well. I love the XX-2, and will most-likely not stray from it (or, I should say I have no desire to try anything else). The Dynavector and WTA are an excellent match from what i can tell.

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2012, 06:22 pm »
No one should or could advise till you mention your phono stage. :)

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2012, 09:36 pm »
I have a Musical Fidelity M1 and the Manely Chinook, probably going to sell the M1 though I do like it.

threadkiller

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2012, 10:50 pm »
Then that leaves me out...I know both cartridges well, but have never heard those pieces.

Erocka2000

« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2012, 12:29 am »
How do you like the Chinook? I've been wanting to hear one.