Any other Simplex owners out there?

bmurphy

Any other Simplex owners out there?
« on: 18 Mar 2012, 07:00 pm »
I know there are a lot of Amadeus and GTA owners here but who else has the Simplex and what did it replace?

I am in the second week of replacing a Scoutmaster and SDS with a WT Simplex and DPS, and I am floored by the difference. Same cart on both, a Dynavector XX-2, but maybe the WT arm is a better match than the JMW-9. The detail is only a wee bit better, but the whole sound is just more musical and alive. I tried the Simplex bone stock and liked the sound, but putting it on the Gingko cloud that had supported the Scoutmaster improved the "fleshiness" of the sound a whole lot. Bass was a tiny bit tighter and better defined when using a TTWeights rim weight, which might have defeated the purpose of the airy foam stock mat (which is presumably meant to "decouple" the LP) if it was any heavier than it is. I didn't want to use it at all based on the design differences between the clamped VPI platter and the WT approach but I heard a definite improvement.

Set up was super easy: VTA set level by eye using the bottom of the cart as a reference; VTF set to 1.95 grams using the thoughtfully provided stylus force gauge; azimuth dialed in with my Fozgometer. Then that's it... you're done. The hardest part was accepting that alignment and overhang are factory set. I have to retire my collection of protractors, jigs, loupes, and lights. Well, maybe not the lights. In the manual they acknowledge that "Some alignment protractors may well disagree. However, The Well Tempered Lab stands by their convictions." So there.

In any case I am very happy and may have found my TT for life (for now anyway, LOL).
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm by bmurphy »

roscoeiii

Re: Any other Simplex owners out there?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2012, 02:44 am »
Wow, a Simplex besting a Scoutmaster is very very interesting. I imagine you aren't hearing many reports about it since mos dealers in the US don't have tables to demo. So maybe it feels safer going with the WTA. I am curious what made you choose the Simplex over the WTA, considering what high quality associated equipment you are using. Would love to hear more Simlex impressions.

threadkiller

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2012, 04:54 am »
My understanding is the Simplex is making the rounds, so maybe you'll hear more soon about it,  Roscoe. I've seen photos and mention on several dealers sites.  Are you buying one?
I'm not surprised about the VPI. As good as the tables are those arms are a weakness.

Give that platter ring a listen to some more. I've never heard of one working on a WTL.   Regardless, enjoy your table!

bmurphy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2012, 10:57 am »
Thanks! Like I said, I wasn't sure about the ring (or the Gingko platform) but it is easy enough to A/B. Certainly easier than doing that with the platform.

I went with the Simplex mainly for the smaller footprint but also because the few reviews available were extremely positive, even in comparison to the Amadeus. I thought it would take a while to decide if it was better than the Scoutmaster and if it wasn't I would look for a used Amadeus to try.

tricka

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2012, 08:41 am »
I'm rocking a  Simplex + 20X2H here....

Newish to vinyl so nothing to compare to )other than my last foray mentioned below)...but sounds great to me. Have mine on a Brightstar Sandbox.

Am finding I am forgetting about the gear and buying records...so its doing something right.

Had a CA Performance SE in the past with a Maestro and it never sounded this good.

edit: added a xx2 + P75 in pe mode. Excellent combo.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2012, 05:59 am by tricka »

deniall

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:43 am »
Got a Simplex yesterday... Upgraded from a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with Ortofon 20 stylus to a Well Tempered Simplex with Dynavector DV-10X5 cartridge. I didn't receive a tracking force gauge with the Simplex so I haven't had a good listen yet but the quick test I did revealed a very silent and engaging sounding turntable.