RMAF 2019

mtrot

Re: RMAF 2019
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2019, 02:57 am »
I'll be there all three days.  I'll arrive Friday around 11 or 12.  I really want to hit the Audio Solutions room and get a listen to those speakers.

BTW, there will be a number of entry level rooms at RMAF, with system prices ranging from $1,000 to $5,000. 

rbbert

« Reply #21 on: 6 Sep 2019, 03:18 am »
I think a lot of the younger crowd head first for the headphone area anyway, much of which is certainly "affordable".

mgalusha

« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2019, 03:46 am »
Today was press and industry day, many folks still getting set up.

The new venue is freakin' huge, wear comfortable shoes, really. That said, it's a beautiful hotel but they (the hotel) want your money. Parking is obscene at $29/day. If you're local, either carpool or take a Lyft or Uber. If you do park, be sure to get your discount parking sticker from the registration desk, that knocks $11/day off the price, still excessive but less so.

For affordable stuff, visit the HiFiGuides room on the 9th floor. These guys are not selling anything, they did a go fund me to bring a ton of affordable gear simply to show that it's possible to get decent sound without spending a ton. Cool guys, and how often do you see a 25 year old with a triode tattooed on his arm. Of course lots of head phones and amps but also about a half dozen speakers as well.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2019, 12:13 pm »
That said, it's a beautiful hotel but they (the hotel) want your money. Parking is obscene at $29/day. If you're local, either carpool or take a Lyft or Uber. If you do park, be sure to get your discount parking sticker from the registration desk, that knocks $11/day off the price, still excessive but less so.
That's exactly why I won't go.  Marjorie totally blew it on this venue just like Axpona did. 

dminches

« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2019, 12:53 pm »
That's exactly why I won't go.  Marjorie totally blew it on this venue just like Axpona did.

How did Axpona blow it?  The current venue is significantly better than the one near O’Hare.  The hotel is better.  The food options are better.  There is a lot more space at the Renaissance.

rbbert

« Reply #25 on: 6 Sep 2019, 02:01 pm »
How did Axpona blow it?  The current venue is significantly better than the one near O’Hare.  The hotel is better.  The food options are better.  There is a lot more space at the Renaissance.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.  Look at Munich, by most accounts the premier hifi show in the world for both exhibitors and attendees; it is anything but affordable, yet somehow few are complaining.

jriggy

« Reply #26 on: 6 Sep 2019, 04:28 pm »
I’m glad I saw this thread!  I forgot all about RMAF.  I live 30 minutes from there and it’s a lot easier to get to than downtown Denver.  Trying to work it into tomorrow or maybe Saturdays schedule.

Glad I’m not the only one. It seems like it has popped up out of nowhere, with no ads or banners on the sites, no ‘build up’ around here, barely a mention until now. And seems like most of the usual AC manufacturers either are not attending or haven’t bothered to mention it this year. Weird. Is it dying? I’ve heard rumbles.

dB Cooper

« Reply #27 on: 6 Sep 2019, 05:56 pm »
I think a lot of the younger crowd head first for the headphone area anyway, much of which is certainly "affordable".

Agreed. Glad they have one. Capital Audiofest has seen fit to largely ignore headphones for the second year in a row, which I think is a big mistake, especially when they claim to be seeking to attract a younger demographic. Woo Audio (normally a regular) isn't even coming this year.

richidoo

« Reply #28 on: 6 Sep 2019, 06:52 pm »
As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.  Look at Munich, by most accounts the premier hifi show in the world for both exhibitors and attendees; it is anything but affordable, yet somehow few are complaining.

My wife attended a conference at the gaylord resort about a month ago. She thought it was great, and a decent value for a luxury hotel.

My RMAF trips in 2006-2008 cost around $1000. It would have cost me about $1200 this time.

sounddog

« Reply #29 on: 6 Sep 2019, 09:27 pm »
Early this year, a dealer told me RMAF had doubled the fee charged to exhibitors. If true, I’m sure that contributes to the decrease in exhibitors this year. Glad I went to Axpona instead.

targa02

« Reply #30 on: 6 Sep 2019, 09:47 pm »
I heard the same thing from an exhibitor.  It will be interesting to see the turn out.  I usually go, but too many irons in the fire this year.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #31 on: 6 Sep 2019, 10:07 pm »
My wife attended a conference at the gaylord resort about a month ago. She thought it was great, and a decent value for a luxury hotel.

My RMAF trips in 2006-2008 cost around $1000. It would have cost me about $1200 this time.
Interesting numbers. I used to stay 4-5 nights at around $100/night. Usually spent a couple hundred each on food and a flight. Right around $1k guaranteed (plus anything I bought or ordered   :green:)

Now over $200/night. Food more expensive. Parking FAR more expensive (free previously at Hotel I stayed at - walking distance to venue). Looks like over $2k right off the bat by my calculations.

I gotta hope the SoCal T.H.E. SHOW continues to do well. Cheaper. Closer. Not as many AC vendors (but that's dropped off at RMAF as well).

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #32 on: 7 Sep 2019, 01:58 am »
Part of my lack of interest is the gouging at the Gaylord Hotel chain.  Sorry, just too cheap to blow that kind of money to look at gear that I'm very unlikely to buy. 

twitch54

« Reply #33 on: 7 Sep 2019, 05:37 pm »
Part of my lack of interest is the gouging at the Gaylord Hotel chain.  Sorry, just too cheap to blow that kind of money to look at gear that I'm very unlikely to buy.

agreed, attended a convention last year at the Gaylord in Nashville, what dump for what you paid, not to mention lousy food.

As for Denver and RMAF , $29 to park, come on it's not Manhattan !

jsalk

• Industry Contributor
    • Salk Signature Sound
« Reply #34 on: 7 Sep 2019, 07:22 pm »
For many of the reasons listed above, we were considering skipping RMAF this year.  Glad we didn't.  Not that there weren't challenges.  This place is HUGE!!!  We were only allowed to unload at Freight Dock 11.  It was about a half mile from our demo room. 

Rates for the rooms went way up this year.  Parking is expensive.  But the crowds came anyway. Traffic seems better than the past few years.  We constantly have people waiting outside our room to get in.

There plenty of lower priced hotels close by.  And some of them will shuttle attendees to the show so they don't have to pay for parking.

All in all, although RMAF's stature as one of the premiere audio shows has slipped a bit in recent years, based on our experiences so far, I think the change in venues will help them regain their reputation.

- Jim

30 Ounce

« Reply #35 on: 8 Sep 2019, 12:01 am »
Just got back from RMAF...i am glad I went!  Lots of very cool stuff to see and hear.  My son got a new pair of headphones, the wife got some skin care stuff and I got confirmation that what I got at home is pretty badass! 

bh5280

« Reply #36 on: 8 Sep 2019, 12:12 am »
I was at the show today (Saturday), have been to this venue before so knew it was HUGE.

For me it felt like an upgrade from the old location.

A couple of highlights, we got a seriously impactful demo of the Kronos Turntable where he did an A/B turning off the opposing platter, the drop in bass was undeniable and incredible to hear, and it just sounded smeared in comparison. Really makes the technology design evident.

A second (favorit)e was the talk and demo of the Børresen 01 speakers. Just hanging out listening to Lars Kristensen was time well spent, hearing those speakers fill up that large space was pretty impressive too.

Yeah, parking cost was painful, but all in all, enjoyed it more than years past at DTC.

witchdoctor

« Reply #37 on: 8 Sep 2019, 02:02 pm »
For many of the reasons listed above, we were considering skipping RMAF this year.  Glad we didn't.  Not that there weren't challenges.  This place is HUGE!!!  We were only allowed to unload at Freight Dock 11.  It was about a half mile from our demo room. 

Rates for the rooms went way up this year.  Parking is expensive.  But the crowds came anyway. Traffic seems better than the past few years.  We constantly have people waiting outside our room to get in.

There plenty of lower priced hotels close by.  And some of them will shuttle attendees to the show so they don't have to pay for parking.

All in all, although RMAF's stature as one of the premiere audio shows has slipped a bit in recent years, based on our experiences so far, I think the change in venues will help them regain their reputation.

- Jim

It's like they rebranded the whole show and decided to go upscale. Let's face it, a luxury venue is the right way to present luxury audio and home theater.

AvsFan

« Reply #38 on: 9 Sep 2019, 03:31 pm »

- Jim

I parked right next to your trailer!  :D Always get excited to see your room!

AvsFan

« Reply #39 on: 9 Sep 2019, 03:35 pm »
Just got back from RMAF...i am glad I went!  Lots of very cool stuff to see and hear.  My son got a new pair of headphones, the wife got some skin care stuff and I got confirmation that what I got at home is pretty badass!

What do you have at home?

I got confirmation that I need to work on things. LOL  :D

It was that Alsyvox room that ruined it for me! I played the same tracks on my Maggie's at home and although the Maggie's souded great, the Alsyvox planar's blew them away! They're also $87,000 speakers!!!