Anyone auditioned or build the HT6?

franky

« on: 23 Aug 2005, 01:26 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and registered to find out more about the HT6.
Visited the Raw Acoustics website a couple of times since yesterday and the HT6 got my attention, as it is just what I was looking for to build.
First considered an Aurum Cantus clone, but after seeing the HT6 I got all excited.

Posted the same question in the speaker section of the DIYaudio forum, but no response. E-mailed RA, no response yet  :( . So, stumbled upon this forum and hopefully some of you have heard these speakers and even build them. What are pros and, if they exist, cons?

I live in the Netherlands (Europe) and cannot audition these speakers, so greatly depend on your experiences with them. From what I've read about other types so far, the HT series sound very promising.

My current speakers are Infinity Renaissance 90, maybe known to some of you. I have put them for sale as I want to switch to smaller speakers
but still with enough low, but not too overwhelming. Due to circumstances I will be listening less over my speakers and more with headphones. I listen to all kinds of music, but mostly, to pop/jazz and ocassionally to clasical music.

Look forward to reading your experiences.

Franklin

RAW

« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2005, 03:42 pm »
Franlin
I had responded but your email but was bounced back so I have resent you email again today.

The HT6 was designed for those wanting low tuning out of a small monitor with out going to a 3way.
The ribbon we use a OEM Aurum Cantus in the G3 series is used as this is the shortest ribbon in the G3 series which jives us a lower crossover point we can use.The shorter RA104.5 ribbon would have been used if not for a few things.
We wanted a lower crossover point to use less of the Extremis driver.
Doing so we needed a ribbon that and be crossed over below 2k and have a high spl.Not that we need the high spl but just wanted the SPL due to the crossover point we are using even with 6th order network.

The 6th order was used for betteroff axis response of the drivers (we use step crossover slopes in almost all crossovers)

Comparing the HT6 and the HT2

HT6  
-lower tuning
-more directional tweeter (a fact of using a longer ribbon)
-Not as detailed and polite mids as the HT2 or HT3.This is due to the mid used in these other speakers.

*Customer reviews of the HT6 from a Open house we held and those who attended we asked to fill out comment sheets.
-Warm mids,strong lowend like them
-9 out of 10 well done
-compared to the other Extremis MT we listened to I like the detail the ribbon brings over the  dome tweeter used.
-Liked the mids from the HT2 better more depth

These are just a few of the comments those who attended left on comment sheets.

All the best

franky

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2005, 04:51 pm »
Hi Al,

Thanks for your response on my message here and, as you write, for the already posted e-mails which were refused. I may have to look into that, because as far as I know, there is no specific filtering going on, but spam is blocked at ISP level. I will submit another e-mail address the next time I contact RA and hopefully it will not be a problem.

I assumed the ribbon from Aurum Cantus used in the HT6 was from the G2 series. I also understand that low tuning in a small monitor also has it's drawbacks as every design has a certain level of compromise.

Reading your response brings up a few questions, I hope you're willing to answer.
1. Does the HT6 require a sweet spot during listening and do you recommend certain distances in positioning the speakers and do they need to be toed in?
2. Is the frequency response shown on the RA website a in-room frequency response?
3. Should speaker be positioned closer to the back wall for better/tighter bass?

The HT2 seems to have it all, except that it doesn't go as low as the HT6 which may be a drawback at certain kinds of music. If you know the Renaissance 90 from Infinity, you know there's plenty of detail in the music and going for the HT6 without ever hearing them or the HT2, may turn out to be a disappointment. Very though decision!

BTW, no dealers in Europe (Belgium/Germany/The Netherlands)??

Look forward to your response. Thanks so far.

Franklin

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2005, 10:52 pm »
As I noted above the ribbon in the HT6 is a OEM G3 series ribbon not a G2 series.
The longer ribbon has a lower FS which is what we needed for the design.

Ribbon Tweeter Technical parameter:
Rated impedance: 6Ω
Rated Power: 50W
Sensitivity: 98dB/W/M
Frequency range:1400Hz~40KHz
Dimension of aluminum ribbon: 8.5mm×100mm×0.01mm
Shape of aluminum ribbon: wave
Mass of aluminum ribbon:20mg
Moving area of aluminum ribbon: 850mm2
Gap Fiux: 0.56 Tesla
Frequency cut recommended:over 2300Hz
Material of mounting faceplate:aluminum,CNC processing,
           surface with anodizing electroplating finish.
Dimension of mounting faceplate: W74×H140×T4.5mm
Outside dimension (WHD): 74×140×77.5mm
Weight: 1.30kg/pc

You will see with the data that this ribbon is not a G2 sereis as all the G2 are shorter in length.

-Yes using a longer ribbon has a sweet spot
-position should be toed in as you had made note
-8-10ft back
-12"-16" away from the wall.And yes closer to the wall yeilds a stronger low end

As for a the HT2, yes not the low end but as noted the MTM shines in the mid range as well as the HT3.
Did you look at the HT3  3way.
Or are you looking for a smaller monitor style bookshelf?

If so yes the HT6 is a very strong monitor for its size.
Every one who has listened to a single pair of Extremis in any design have been stunned at the low end they can produce.

Matched with a ribbon with a lower crossover point and high order crossover these work very well for a compact monitor with strong low end.