Once Upon A Time

Housteau

Once Upon A Time
« on: 12 Apr 2020, 06:56 am »
I had been thinking about the speaker systems I had just before what I have now.  I guess I was feeling a bit nostalgic.  They were the Infinity RS1b's and the original Martin Logan CLS.  I used to swap out the upper range sections using the Infinity bass towers for both.  Before these were the Acoustat 1+1's.  And before those were the Allison Three's.  Other than the Allison's they were all larger 4 piece systems, as is what I have today.  I always seem to gravitate to them.

I was thinking that if I only could have known then what I know now about audio, how much better I could have gotten them to sound.  I have learned so much over the years regarding room acoustics, system and room set-up, the synergy between components and the big one, room correction systems.  Armed with all of that I have no doubt the bar would have been raised substantially.  I am not saying that I would like to step back, because I am very, very pleased with what I have now.  I am just curious on how much of that is actually due to the newer better tech and how much is due to just simply getting the set-up right? 

Part of getting it right is having good room dimensions, which my room had, in fact very close to an ideal ratio.  But, I was using the long wall.  I was able to lengthen my room while having my current system making that long wall the short one and that in itself made a huge difference.  Larger systems do demand more space and maybe my previous systems were not allowed to breathe properly and be the best of what they could have been.  I am sure that was a part of it.  I would have liked to have known them in the room I have now.

This is my current system:  the VMPS RM-V60's with the matching VLA bass towers.  I tend to keep my speaker systems for a very long time.  They are simply too large to be moving in and out :).

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Once Upon A Time
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2020, 09:53 am »
That looks like it'll work!

Shouldn't the guy coming out of the wall be wearing a face mask in case sneezes?

Housteau

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2020, 12:47 pm »
That looks like it'll work!

Shouldn't the guy coming out of the wall be wearing a face mask in case sneezes?

He lives here and hasn't left since the troubles began, so he is good.  On the other hand I leave for groceries and supplies.

fridays

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2020, 05:05 pm »
Nice systems you've had, bet they all sounded good in their own way