Bookshelf version?

skonger

Bookshelf version?
« on: 29 Nov 2020, 02:27 am »
I wonder if Clayton has thought about a bookshelf version of these that might go with an open baffle sub? I thought I had the ok for M3s, but the wife recently axed the idea. M5s might work size wise (about 6 inches too tall), and I don't think they would work well on an entertainment unit that sits about 16 inches high. Any thoughts about this? or does the tendency for a entertainment unit to be close to a back wall make the whole idea a non-starter?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Bookshelf version?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2020, 02:51 pm »
Agree that the whole concept is a "non-starter".  Open baffle rely on large drivers/baffles.  Dipoles in general rely on having lots of open space behind the baffles. 

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2020, 03:27 pm »
I wonder if Clayton has thought about a bookshelf version of these that might go with an open baffle sub? I thought I had the ok for M3s, but the wife recently axed the idea. M5s might work size wise (about 6 inches too tall), and I don't think they would work well on an entertainment unit that sits about 16 inches high. Any thoughts about this? or does the tendency for a entertainment unit to be close to a back wall make the whole idea a non-starter?
Clayton has a small more reasonably priced 2 way in development, I believe using the M100 driver. He shared a small bit of  info about it in the SF Audio Society video he did a couple months ago. I am assuming it is just smaller option, not a "bookshelf" application though.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2020, 04:07 pm »
Clayton would probably need to offer powered stereo OB subs to accompany an OB bookshelf version. This setup would be costly and likely wouldn't make sense from a marketing perspective. Takes up a lot of space, too. (Ask me how I know...)   

skonger

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2020, 11:05 pm »
OK. I'll bite. How would you know?

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2020, 01:14 am »
OK. I'll bite. How would you know?

"Experience, my dear Watson."

The problem with OB monitors is that they don't go low enough, so they must be accompanied with powered subwoofers that can go as high as 200Hz. There are only a handful of bass drivers on the market that can achieve this feat, and cheap they're not. Most manufacturers and consumers would probably prefer a much more efficient and less costly trade-off which is a plug-n-play, "full range" (ummm... misnomer alert) floor stander.