Fast search for Bugle as headamp to Cornet.....

Julien43

« on: 9 Dec 2004, 10:58 am »
I couldn't find anything. This just seems like a obvious path for low output cartridge user wishing to upgrade to the Coronet,  Jim could you share you thoughts about optimizing the Bugle design as a head amp for your Coronet. Or, is is not advisable? TIA!!

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2004, 02:50 pm »
While the Bugle can have the gain adjusted, it does have RIAA EQ which would not be wanted in a step-up device.

A good transformer would be a wiser choice to increase the gain. Lundahl, Jensen and S & B all make very good MC step-up transformers in a wide variety of price points

Julien43

I have no idea what to look for..
« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2004, 09:43 pm »
in a step-up transformer. Is it possible to find an affordable one that would not comromise the sound quality of the Coronet? What parameters are important in obtaining an optimium synergy? All I have is questions... I don't have answers.. hell I don't even have money :|

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2004, 02:54 am »
I would recommend the Lundahl step-up for the Cornet.  Good match.  Personally, I prefer trannies to solid state head amps.

Nevertheless, I have started designing the PICCOLO, a jfet based headamp.  Going slow, too many other projects in front of it.  Maybe I'll get it out next year.  CLARION, OBOE and HUSH moving along.  Not to mention FRYBABY and two other collaborations.

jh :)