Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!

Philistine

Re: Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jun 2007, 03:36 pm »
Thanks everyone for the tips, I'll try them out.
As I've lived, traveled and eaten around the world I've discovered the only two common denominators that exist:
Guys do the grilling.javascript:void(0);
Thumbs up
Grilling and beer go together.

whopnyc

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jun 2007, 03:57 pm »
The Big Green Eggs are the absolute best smokers/BBQers/grillers ever.  I have a large one and haven't had the desire or need to fire up my gas grill since I got it. You can do ribs up to pizza and everything in between...baking bread, making chili, etc.  There's a really active forum also that answers every question you can possibly have. biggreenegg.com and click the forum button...take a look at the beautiful pictures people take of their food(me included, my wife thinks I'm crazy).

Also, as far as rubs go, try http://www.dizzypigbbq.com.  Their Dizzy Dust is a great, fairly traditional rib rub.  I have nothing to do with these guys, just a happy customer. Customer service is fantastic.

gooberdude

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2007, 04:16 pm »
I bought something similar to this for my folks not long ago....it definitely works very fast.   A few months after I gave it to them (and before they had the nerve to test it out) they attended a cooking class at Viking, the stove makers, in St. Louis.     In the middle of the class the head chef held the same one over his head and declared "this is the best cooking invention of the 21st century" 

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=kitchen&field-keywords=vacuum%20marinator&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_kitchen_26286654_2&results-process=default

what i'm talking about is the vacuum marinade tupperware looking thing on the right hand side at the top.
these are about $20 most places.   the vacuum sucks the marinade deep into the layers in just a few minutes, no need for the 24 hour soak anymore.  Supposedly, the vacuum is more effective..24 hrs won't get the juice in deep.  caution:  heresay!!

Glad to hear about so many Big Green Egg proponents!   it is something special which is evident by the loyal followers, warranty and decades of mfgr'ing.   Seems like positives that came out of the Vietnam era are that we got bad-ass stereos & the BGE.  i was born in '75 so take my words with a grain of salt.   :D
i just found out Stevie Wonders' Fullfillingness Lp was album of the year in '75...just bought a mint copy on ebay for $3.    Boogie on Reggae Woman!!!

I don't know about ya'll, but for ribs i like a dry rub & slow cook with a good sauce that's only added while they are on your plate...or maybe lightly brushed on a with just a few minutes left on the grill...right after a nice thin crust has formed.

eric the red

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jun 2007, 04:25 pm »
Hmmm-I'll have to try one of those vacuum marinaders as I marinade a lot of flank steak...mmmmm grilled marinaded buffalo flank steak

samplesj

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jun 2007, 04:34 pm »
Ceramic cookers definately make a great meal.  There are several other brands beside BGE.  For the poster asking for something a bit less than the BGE check out GrillDome.  It isn't the 1/3 price from the post, but it is a bit less.

MarkR7

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jun 2007, 04:34 pm »
The Big Green Egg is the coolest!!!    My folks bought one in Hawaii back when i was born.  A few years ago it tipped over in a storm and the inner lining cracked - my mom was absolutely thrilled to find out they are still made and replacement parts can be easily purchased.      Almost every year dad smokes a turkey in it, swears by the thing.

I live in Chicago...as meat rich as this City is, folks here are pretty darn clueless about bbq.   makes no sense whatsoever.   :roll:

I hear you Goob, but there a few good places to get ribs and pulled pork and such (and I'm not talking Carsons) in Chitown.  As for me, I have my Kamado ceramic grill / smoker that is probably 10 or more years old, and still in great shape.  Super versatile, as I can easily get it up to 800+ degrees to sear and dwell a great piece of steak, or I can smoke a pork butt for 18+ hours on a single load of lump charcoal.  Now that's BBQ, the slo and lo way! :drool:

PhilNYC

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jun 2007, 04:40 pm »
Btw - I know this is pretty basic, but it's surprising how many people don't know....with ribs, make sure you take off the membrane on the flat side of the ribs before marinating/rubbing/cooking...

ctviggen

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jun 2007, 05:06 pm »
The BGE looks interesting...but the main site has no prices.  Oh...Amazon has it.  $900 for the large version.  $500 for the small.  Darn.  That's too expensive for me. 

gooberdude

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jun 2007, 05:43 pm »
Hey MarkR7,

Invite me over for smoked pork butt, yowzers!!!   I wish i had the ability to smoke...i doubt my skyscraper neighbors would enjoy the smell of bad-ass slow cooked food for 6hrs each Saturday & Sunday.

The Horseshoe (4100 N. Lincoln) closed down due to underage drinking...i'm so pissed.   that's easily the best bbq i've had here.   Smoke Daddy (2000 W. Division) is #2, was my benchmark for a while until Horseshoe came along.

Twin Anchors, Carsons...there are a few noteworthy but none that get me goin' really.

last Friday i went to City Smoque (california, NW), its garnering good attention but i had the chopped brisket & it wasn't all that...totally going against my own rule to always get the pulled pork sammies when trying a place for the 1st time.  but, i'd still go back....their ribs look good & the baked beans are unique to say the least.

What are your fav's?   and don't say Smokin Woody's!!!   i'm always up for new places    aa

What gets me goin' is bbq places here that are just rancid.  back in StL you can hop into most any joint & it'll be good/decent.  i've had a few experiences here where I swear they used sugary ketchup as the sauce & the meat was tough as leather...   its just odd when there's SO much great food in this City.

I have shot myself in the foot a few times, simply due to the town we live in....delivery BBQ.   Its about as dismal as delivery breakfast (except from The Bagel on Broadway).   yeah, i'm that kind of guy!

i'd like to find some good Mongolian or Asian BBQ that's local too.

If the Paulina Meat Market would do like i ask, and make a cologne out of the otherworldly meat scents in their store, i'd be happy with never eatin' bbq again.   I could just take the memory with me wherever i go   :lol:     When i 1st moved here my place was 1/2 a block away.  that smell combined with the Zen Buddhist Monks walking all around just trippped me out.  i swear i never saw their feet touch the ground.    Whoever planned to put an insane meat market next to a Zen Buddhist Temple deserves a huge round of applause in my book.

« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2007, 05:54 pm by gooberdude »

whopnyc

« Reply #29 on: 5 Jun 2007, 10:18 pm »
The BGE looks interesting...but the main site has no prices.  Oh...Amazon has it.  $900 for the large version.  $500 for the small.  Darn.  That's too expensive for me. 

The BGE is actually on the cover of the new Williams Sonoma catalog.  They're selling it mail order only shipped direct from the home office in Atlanta.  I highly, highly, highly recommend getting any ceramic grill whether BGE or Komodo like MarkR7(my parents have one of these also) locally if possible. Local support/training is a great thing.  I'm not kidding when I say save up and don't buy anything but a ceramic cooker. They are that amazing.

How do these look?

MarkR7

« Reply #30 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:14 pm »
WhopNYC, you are making me hungry, and I just had dinner!  They look awesome!

Goob, I really need to pick up a bunch of lump charcoal from Division and Cherry.  Haven't had a chance to make it down there yet, nor have I smoked in quite a while.  6 hrs.....I wish!  For a 6lb. pork butt, it's about 18 hours of lo and slo!!!  The results are phenominal!  Nothing like smoking over hickory and oak lump charcoal.  6 hrs would be fine for ribs though.

I'm 30 miles north of the city, so I don't make it down there often.  One that I remember from the "Taste" is Leon's BBQ, and another is Lem's.  Never been to their places as they are way down on the southside. Closer to home: Gale Street Inn on Milwaukee by Jefferson Park, and another decent one nearer me is Hecky's in Evanston (Green Bay Rd and Emerson).  Chain-wise, Famous Dave's is ok, but I liked KC Masterpiece's restaurant in Lombard better when they were still open, years ago. Carson's....no way, can't stand them, yuck.  Par-boiled ribs with sauce on them.

There's nothing like homemade.....

ooheadsoo

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:17 pm »
Ceramic cookers definately make a great meal.  There are several other brands beside BGE.  For the poster asking for something a bit less than the BGE check out GrillDome.  It isn't the 1/3 price from the post, but it is a bit less.

Hey, those are a lot more affordable, thanks for the tip!  $530 for the largest, $215 for the smallest.  Lifetime warranty, wow.

gooberdude

« Reply #32 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:28 pm »
I keep hearing about Gale Street & Lem's, thanks for the recomendation.    The new place City Smoque is out by Gale Street but east about a mile.

The owner of Hecky's (near Old Town) lives in the 'scraper I manage...a punk kid my age who pays $700 a month to park both his cars in the VIP section of our Garage.  Last year we let him do our x-mas party - never again.

Kinda funny talking with him though, he sold $2M worth of ribs in '06...so someone obviously likes them.   He has to be using difft recipes than the Evanston store..all i hear is rave reviews about that location.

The Taste is almost here...can't wait!  Big Turkey legs, Cuban sammies and excellent desserts.  I work real close so its nice to take a walk and try all the good stuff.  

You are freaking me out about smoking with one lump of coal, that is wild.  hopefully some day i'll move to the 'burbs and really start living well.   :wink:     Tell me again where to get the good charcoal..Division & Cherry?  not familiar with Cherry.  I do have a tiny hibachi type outdoor oven i'd like to fire up...

MarkR7

« Reply #33 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:49 pm »
Hey Goob,

The place to get your lump (in 40lb. bags) is the distibutor, Berger Bros. on 1176 N Cherry, just a few feet south of Division in a little shack, cash only.  They distribute lump and briquettes (Kingsford need not apply!) to a lot of the local establishments.  I was there two years ago when I bought a yr and a half supply of hardwood lump, @ $16.25 per 40lb. bag then.  They also have mesquite lump for your brisket needs!

I didn't mean that I smoke with only one lump, but one "load" of lump (2-3 lbs, maybe)?

Once you go lump, you never go back!  I have been using some Kingsford now since I'm out....yechh!!

Cheers,
Mark

ctviggen

« Reply #34 on: 7 Jun 2007, 05:23 pm »
Well, I might have to try to make this thing:

http://www.ntscblog.com/2005/07/little-brown-egg-i-condo-q.html

gooberdude

« Reply #35 on: 7 Jun 2007, 06:14 pm »
awesome!!!   the Condo-Q & backdoor uber-kinder charcoal sales.   this is a great thread...

If any Chicago folk wanna try some dope City BBQ, the Horseshoe located at 4115 N. Lincoln is back open for business.    50 cent beers on Tuesday nights.  Get full and schwilly for about $12.  a rarity in this town. Live music at 10pm.   Please try the Frito Pie...

Off-topic:
Also, check out Tribute-A-Saurus...a local band that becomes/covers a different band each month.  They play at Martyr's on Lincoln ave, about 3700 N.    last night they played 2 sets of Beck, it was ridiculous.  The last song of the night was one by 'The Band'...which they will be covering next.  Beck was awesome, but right when they belted out 'Take a Load off Annie" & began to harmonize hairs stood up on the back of my neck....The Band is gonna be amazing.   No less than 12 people on stage with about 50 difft instruments last night.  These are all musicians who kept their day jobs, but man, they are talented & have fun.    They play 2 separate shows on their monthly night at Martyr's...7 pm and 10pm.

jermmd

« Reply #36 on: 8 Jun 2007, 12:32 am »
Btw - I know this is pretty basic, but it's surprising how many people don't know....with ribs, make sure you take off the membrane on the flat side of the ribs before marinating/rubbing/cooking...

Phil,

Thanks man, I never knew about the membrane and I've cooked ribs many times. I wasn't even sure what you were talking about until just now when I thawed out some ribs for tomorrow. I just peeled the membrane off! I never realized it was even there. I just prepared my own rub which is a variation on the the "best recipe" posted. I used 50% brown sugar, 25% Montreal Steak Seasoning and 25% McCormack Season-All Seasoned Salt. I'll let you know how it turns out. I don't have some of the ingredients for the braising liquid so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'll probably just slow BBQ it after a night in the fridge absorbing the rub the add BBQ sauce after it's cooked.

Turnandcough

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jun 2007, 01:00 am »

Phil,

Thanks man, I never knew about the membrane and I've cooked ribs many times. I wasn't even sure what you were talking about until just now when I thawed out some ribs for tomorrow. I just peeled the membrane off! I never realized it was even there. I just prepared my own rub which is a variation on the the "best recipe" posted. I used 50% brown sugar, 25% Montreal Steak Seasoning and 25% McCormack Season-All Seasoned Salt. I'll let you know how it turns out. I don't have some of the ingredients for the braising liquid so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'll probably just slow BBQ it after a night in the fridge absorbing the rub the add BBQ sauce after it's cooked.

It appears Montréal steak seasoning is getting around. Great stuff.
BTW - You don't really have to worry about the membrane that much if you're using baby back ribs. Slow simmer them first in water for 1 1/2 hrs then apply dry rub and cook in 180f oven for 3 hrs to infuse spices  finishing off with indirect heat on the grill while brushing with glaze for another 1 1/2 hrs.

whopnyc

« Reply #38 on: 8 Jun 2007, 12:30 pm »

Phil,

It appears Montréal steak seasoning is getting around. Great stuff.
BTW - You don't really have to worry about the membrane that much if you're using baby back ribs. Slow simmer them first in water for 1 1/2 hrs then apply dry rub and cook in 180f oven for 3 hrs to infuse spices  finishing off with indirect heat on the grill while brushing with glaze for another 1 1/2 hrs.

I'm going to have to fully disagree with parboiling ribs.  Yes, they may "fall off the bone" when you're done but you're also soaking all the pork flavor out of them.  They will also fall off the bone if you cook them long and slow enough.  I personally think true, fall off the bone ribs are overcooked but some like them this way. Regardless, try not boiling them and you'll find the texture and flavor to be much improved.

I also want to add that some cryovac'ed ribs come with the membrane already removed.  If you're having a really tough time getting it off or it's coming off in little pieces then it's probably already been removed.

PhilNYC

« Reply #39 on: 8 Jun 2007, 12:39 pm »
BTW - You don't really have to worry about the membrane that much if you're using baby back ribs.

I'm going to have to disagree with this...I mostly do babybacks, and keeping the membrane on puts a barrier between your rub/marinade and the meat, so you don't get the same level of infusion.  And yeah, I agree that boiling them lessens the flavor, too...