Subwoofer integration for 2 channel setup - Advice needed

johsti

Hello,

Equipment - I just picked up a used Peachtree Decco to use as a preamp/DAC for a 2 channel setup.  The Decco only has one pair of preouts which I was going to use for my power amp.  My sub is an SVS pb10 which does not have speaker line inputs nor does it have a built in crossover.  My speakers are Usher 6311 and have a frequency response of 34Hz-28kHz according to the manufacturer. 

Question - Can I use a splitter on the Decco's preouts so a signal can be sent to the sub and the power amp?  Since the sub doesn't have any type of crossover, I was thinking about using an in-line passive low pass filter such as this.
http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=26

Will this work, or is there a better way to do this besides getting a new sub with speaker line inputs and a crossover. 

Any input is appreciated. 

MaxCast

Re: Subwoofer integration for 2 channel setup - Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2009, 11:21 pm »
You can split your signal but you will need at least a high pass filter on your sub and run the mains full range.  There are two way active xo's you can buy (Merchand) or you could buy a Beringer xo and have the ability to eq your sub, a good thing.

johsti

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2009, 11:46 pm »
Thanks Maxcast.  Would something like the low pass filter linked in my initial post do the trick?  I plan on running the Ushers full range and was hoping to have the sub crossed over at 40-50 Hz.

there is also these in-line low pass filters
http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=9

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:12 am »
Yes it will work but is looks like you'd need two of them inline each channel to get low enough to get out of the way of your Ushers.  Usually a 24db slop is best.  Looks like you'd need two sets of the 70Hz's and the attenuator.
Something like this would be best.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?misceqal&1242602066&/Marchand-xm9l--aa
this can be used to off load the deep bass from your Ushers and direct it to the sub.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2009, 02:55 am »
You might want to think about another sub. I've become a big fan of GR-Research servos. They're very musical, plus the amp has both high/low inputs plus lots of flexibility in crossover point, slopes, phase and level. Believe me, lots of flexibility is a good thing. The smallest setting tweaks can make a big difference.

I'm running the open baffle version, and it's really affordable for the sound you get.

Of course our friends at ACI and VMPS offer high quality musical subs too.
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2009, 04:01 pm by drphoto »

tvyankee

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:23 pm »
yeah you can do that. i have a used (Rolls SX45) that would do what you are looking for. i would sell it for like $45 buck if you want to try it out. let me know.